Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's talk about Deer Season! Got a venison recipe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my deer are never fat enough to get that much tallow. it is a treat for me. venison steak medium rare cooked its own tallow. slightly OT but what sort of bow do you all use to hunt? i have seriously considered getting a bow to hunt with. especially as my dog is not so hot on guns. or the big loud ones you usually need to deer hunt with. my main concern is it wont kill the animal outright. i have the technology to track it. aka the dog. but i always feel better if it just dies.

Comment

Hubby has an older compound Pearson bow. He has considered a crossbow for our kids---and they have a ton more power (to ensure a kill)
      Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
      http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
        my deer are never fat enough to get that much tallow. it is a treat for me. venison steak medium rare cooked its own tallow. slightly OT but what sort of bow do you all use to hunt? i have seriously considered getting a bow to hunt with. especially as my dog is not so hot on guns. or the big loud ones you usually need to deer hunt with. my main concern is it wont kill the animal outright. i have the technology to track it. aka the dog. but i always feel better if it just dies.
        hunting with dogs and/or using them to track deer may or may not be legal, depending on the state you live in. i would definitely look in to that

i hunt with a bow and a shotgun in nj, and a rifle in pennsylvania. my bow is a PSE, but i also have a Bear longbow that i use sometimes. i use a mossberg shotgun with slugs during shotgun season. and i have a few rifles that i typically take in PA, with my favorite calibers being 35 remington or 30-06.

hunting with a bow, just like hunting with any other firearm, takes serious practice and patience. you need to be able to accurately judge yardage distances, and hit your mark time after time. no, the animal doesn't die instantly when shot with an arrow, but with a properly placed shot, it will go down quickly and expire quite rapidly. like i said, the key is to know your limitations and only take quality shots. if thinking about getting in to bow hunting, i'd find a good local pro shop, head over there and shoot several different bows to see which one feels the best. then have it properly set up and tuned. then practice every day.

Comment

Working...
        X