Fish liver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish liver

Not so much a recipe as a food experience. Raw fish liver, straight from a freshly caught fish after rinsing in fresh water.

Fish for today was a 3.9kg snapper (pagrus auratus). The liver was unexpectedly delicious - a clean brininess with a sweet fleshy after palate. Will definitely be repeating the experience, much to the annoyance of the pelicans. Will try a range of livers as I catch the fish
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

fish livers are difficult to get hold of commercially. i've only ever had blue cod livers which i asked for once when we went fishing. they were really very nice. totally not what i was expecting.

Comment

You may both have my share.

Comment

You can get canned cod livers. I buy mine at the European store, never seen them at my regular Safeway (although to be fair, haven't looked for them there, either). My mom makes a nice savory salad out of them - just add chopped hardboiled eggs and some mayo, very high in fat and protein.

Comment

one of my favorite dishes in the world is monkfish liver sunomono

Comment

BTW, under no circumstance should you eat puffer or box fish liver
            Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Caught a teraglin today. Liver was delicious

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                one of my favorite dishes in the world is monkfish liver sunomono
                came here to say this! i live near a korean market, and they pretty much always sell ankimo, which is steamed monkfish liver, that's been soaked in sake. it's so damn good.

Comment

i hook up with some trout almost weekly(harvested myself, hook/line obviously). Will have to try this next time!

Comment

More snapper livers last weekend. Decided the livers of the smaller fish taste like slightly sweet oysters - delicious. Also caught a small Cobia and its liver was pretty good too

Comment

Flounder liver tastes horrible, was full of gritty stuff. Or maybe it wasn't the liver : S
                      I never meant to put it in my mouth in any case...

Incidentally, does anyone know anything about heavy metals and dioxins in fish livers? Or their nutrient profile generally?

Comment

I will be going deep sea fishing next month, I will have to keep this in mind. Are there any other fish organs worth eating? Maybe the heart? If I didn't want to eat the livers raw, I imagine they would be good cooked in some butter also (what isn't?)

Comment

This sounds delicious! I've only really had monkfish liver but I am totally willing to try anything!

Comment

Love monkfish liver also. Quite strong abit like veal sweetbreads in texture needs lemon juice to cut thru.
                            Had seabass liver , very tasty.
                            I simply pan fry in fat .

London

Comment

I love cod liver a lot, and willing to pay $8 for a can of cod liver to avoid yuk fish oil pills!
                              Fish eggs are an obvious choice

When I make salmon broth from fish heads and trimming, I always pick apart fish head and eat all the meat under the chicks, the brain and the cartilage. It all taste absolutely great.

Fish bones, if it was cooked a long time or canned, along with marrow is yum as well.
                              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
                              X