fat from bone broth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fat from bone broth

I've been collecting fat from the beef broth I make. It's all solidified in the fridge now. I use it for cooking eggs and other dishes, but I'm getting a lot more than I'm using. What can I do with it?

Cook everything with it.

Add it to grass fed mince (which is usually too lean).

Use it to make a soup.
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

You can also use it to deep fry. It makes the best french fries in the history of the world.

Perfect Thin and Crispy French Fries | Serious Eats : Recipes

Just sub tallow for peanut oil of course.
      If you strain the oil well after using, it can be reused a few times before you need to toss it.

You could also make some pemmican if that's more your style: http://www.traditionaltx.us/images/PEMMICAN.pdf

Also, you might want to render the tallow you collect from your broth as outlined in the manual above, regardless of what you do with it. At least in my experience, this skimmed tallow has a significant amount of water still in it which will cause it to spoil.

Comment

i don't skim it and just put a chunk of it in the broth each time i have a serving.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

sounds interesting...
          Last edited by Babb915; 11-01-2012, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks for these links-- can't wait to make pemmican as soon as I have a way to dehydrate beef! (we don't have an oven right now in rural India).

That picture of the color of tallow is new to me. I wasn't sure whether our local butcher sells grass-fed beef, but the tallow I get is a dark orangey-yellow. Very happy now!

When I finish a batch of broth, I usually put it in the fridge first, and the top layer solidifies to a chunk of fat, and the bottom layer is either gelled or liquid. Does it still need rendering? And how to do it?

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
            You can also use it to deep fry. It makes the best french fries in the history of the world.

Perfect Thin and Crispy French Fries | Serious Eats : Recipes

Just sub tallow for peanut oil of course.
            If you strain the oil well after using, it can be reused a few times before you need to toss it.

You could also make some pemmican if that's more your style: http://www.traditionaltx.us/images/PEMMICAN.pdf

Also, you might want to render the tallow you collect from your broth as outlined in the manual above, regardless of what you do with it. At least in my experience, this skimmed tallow has a significant amount of water still in it which will cause it to spoil.

Comment

Working...
            X