Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo/Primal for 1 a portion.

Disclaimer:
    This isn't the best way to go Paleo by a long-shot. If you can get organic, non-grain-fed animals (insect-fed free-range chickens and acorn-fed wild-pork are sorely missed, Spain!), fresh game, enriched eggs and organic, or, better, home-grown fruit and veg: DO IT.
    But for some of us that isn't an option. Some of us are students (for example) living off a very limited budget, but still want the benefits of a Paleo lifestyle.

So, I made my blog: onepoundmeals.blog.com, where I upload the recipes to food I eat and ideas I have, to show how, on a budget, Paleo can STILL be managed. Not the healthiest, but miles better than SAD and every portion is under 1 (a rare thing for foods without junk or grain)!
    You can always use a recipe for inspiration and just use organic, grass-fed meats and home-grown veggies. Or even use it as a side-dish or a base. Or, to cut your budget back a bit, try making one meal a day out of a cheaper recipe. Whatever you want, I'm just here to share it.

From now on I'll be posting links to my recipes and advice on cheap food-shopping on here. Bon appetit.

First installment: Chicken Cabbage-Wraps http://onepoundmeals.blog.com/2012/1...cabbage-wraps/
    Last edited by Kochin; 10-25-2012, 10:52 AM.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Lunch today: Lemony-Spicy Shakshouka http://onepoundmeals.blog.com/2012/1...cy-shakshouka/
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Dinner: Filling Chicken Stew. Dinner. Filling Chicken Stew. | Meals for 1 and LESS!
      --

--
      I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Beauty! Keep 'em coming ...
        Paul
        http://www.pjgh.co.uk
        http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Lunch: Roasted Lamb Bites with Roasted Veg.

I got some of LiDL’s “Fox Tree Farm” New Zealand frozen lamb chump chops today. I can’t find anything conclusive, but it seems that NZ lamb is almost always grass-fed and with minimum antibiotics and stuff. If that’s the case, this could be a BRILL way of eating decent meat on a budget! You get 9-10 chops per 900g bag, which is 45-50p per chop.

Some Americans had been complaining that this lamb is too strong, but I find it isn’t too far from Welsh lamb in taste. Texture-wise I can’t decide if I prefer it raw or if it’s yummier to cook it until you get “lamb crackling” on top! Mmm!

http://onepoundmeals.blog.com/2012/1...h-roasted-veg/
          --

--
          I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Originally posted by pjgh View Post
            Beauty! Keep 'em coming ...
            Trust me, I will do! This is even more fun than I'd imagined when I started! So many different recipes..!
            --

--
            I'd apologize, but...

Comment

I haven't even got into fish yet, or done much with offal!

I don't know why, but I'm finding cooking and eating EVEN MORE pleasurable now I'm "documenting" it!
              --

--
              I'd apologize, but...

Comment

These are brilliant - will be recommending your blog to many friends (as well as trying them myself!). Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by oliviascotland View Post
                  These are brilliant - will be recommending your blog to many friends (as well as trying them myself!). Thank you!
                  Thank YOU! Seeing my "individual daily visitors" number creep up is a joy to me.
                  Hope you find many recipes you enjoy!
                  --

--
                  I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Originally posted by Kochin View Post
                    Lunch: Roasted Lamb Bites with Roasted Veg.

I got some of LiDL’s “Fox Tree Farm” New Zealand frozen lamb chump chops today. I can’t find anything conclusive, but it seems that NZ lamb is almost always grass-fed and with minimum antibiotics and stuff. If that’s the case, this could be a BRILL way of eating decent meat on a budget! You get 9-10 chops per 900g bag, which is 45-50p per chop.

Some Americans had been complaining that this lamb is too strong, but I find it isn’t too far from Welsh lamb in taste. Texture-wise I can’t decide if I prefer it raw or if it’s yummier to cook it until you get “lamb crackling” on top! Mmm!

http://onepoundmeals.blog.com/2012/1...h-roasted-veg/
                    Yum. Gonna try this soon. Lamb was almost the first thing I bought when I got back to NZ after my holiday. I like to have it every week, sometimes more than once, so a new recipe is great to have. Thanks.
                    Annie Ups the Ante
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Originally posted by Kochin View Post
                      I haven't even got into fish yet, or done much with offal!
                      178 gms pig's liver this morning = 44p in my local butcher. I'm having that with fried onions and microwaved broccoli, parsnip & carrot. Plus two glasses of red and half a grapefruit for pudding. More than a quid but hey, it's the weekend.
                      Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

Lunch: Lamb Curry. http://onepoundmeals.blog.com/2012/1...ch-lamb-curry/

Got a chicken recipe to go up once I've got the photos!
                        --

--
                        I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel View Post
                          178 gms pig's liver this morning = 44p in my local butcher. I'm having that with fried onions and microwaved broccoli, parsnip & carrot. Plus two glasses of red and half a grapefruit for pudding. More than a quid but hey, it's the weekend.
                          Ah, you can count the pudding separately. ;p
                          Otherwise, how would I get the odd two-courser in?

Well done, anyhow! Liver's an amazing goodie. I'm surprised it's so cheap! Odd that something that represents 1/100th of the animal AND is more nutritious costs 1/5th of the price of the "bulk" (muscle meat). Supply and demand for ya!
                          --

--
                          I'd apologize, but...

Comment

... you know, if you fast straight through one meal you could push the boat out and do a 2 meal.
                            Paul
                            http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                            http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Originally posted by pjgh View Post
                              ... you know, if you fast straight through one meal you could push the boat out and do a 2 meal.
                              lol
                              I'm not sure that'd be in the spirit of it.
                              Besides, where's the challenge in 2?
                              --

--
                              I'd apologize, but...

Comment

Working...
                              X