What can I make with a dehydrator?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I make with a dehydrator?

I just came across a 50% off sale on a dehydrator, so I'm pondering buying one. I mostly want one because I like to pick wild mushrooms in the summer, and the oven temps are a little too high to successfully dry them. But beyond that, what can I make with a dehydrator besides the obvious like kale chips or dried fruit?

JERKY!!!

Ok that was an obvious one. You can also make pemmican (mix the shredded jerky with rendered fat). They are also good for drying nuts/seeds after you soak them.

Here's a crazy website with lots of dehydrator recipes:
    Backpacking Food for the Soul

Comment

Well if you were Wesley Crusher, you could use it and a brace of Tribbles to make a photon deflector dish with which to bounce a graviton beam off of. If not then yeah jerky, dried fruits, dried veggies and if you have kids, fruit roll ups. I have also made dehydrated stew, just add water and simmer. You make stew and then lay it out to dry, it works and saves space and weight when camping.
      Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Comment

Originally posted by Warmbear View Post
        I have also made dehydrated stew, just add water and simmer. You make stew and then lay it out to dry, it works and saves space and weight when camping.
        Ohhh, that's a cool idea!

Comment

Well if you were Wesley Crusher, you could use it and a brace of Tribbles to make a photon deflector dish with which to bounce a graviton beam off of.
          Hee, a brace of Tribbles...

Comment

Jerky! We go through heaps of it.

Also, in my house we're big fans on pumpkin leather:
            (I won't give measurements, you can taste test)
            Cooked & Pureed pumpkin
            Coconut milk
            Allspice
            cinnamon
            nutmeg
            cloves

Combine all of the above and remember the flavours will intensify. You can add honey too, for a little sweetness (I use about a tbsp for a whole small pumpkin) You could add chopped dried fruit, nuts, shredded coconut, whatever takes your fancy.

Form into cookie shapes on dehydrator sheets, or in one layer. Dry for about 24hr, turn if you want both sides chewy. Take it off sooner if you want it a bit gooey.

Yum!
            The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Comment

Ok that was an obvious one. You can also make pemmican

Comment

Well if you were Wesley Crusher, you could use it and a brace of Tribbles to make a photon deflector dish with which to bounce a graviton beam off of. If not then yeah jerky, dried fruits, dried veggies and if you have kids, fruit roll ups. I have also made dehydrated stew, just add water and simmer. You make stew and then lay it out to dry, it works and saves space and weight when camping.
                I'll have to try that out. I heard of a similar idea in a book. I think it might have been this one:
                Backpack Gourmet: Good Hot Grub You Can Make at Home,Dehydrate,and Pack for Quick,Easy,and Healthy Eating on the Trail: Linda Frederick Yaffe: 9780811726344: Amazon.com: Books

I also did something similar with beef stock. I reduced it down first until it was almost a syrup, then poured it onto a solid sheet and dehydrated it until it turned into glass basically. Then I used a spice grinder to turn it into a powder. Now when I want some stock, I just boil some water and add a tablespoon or so of broth powder. The flavor is not amazing; I think a lot of the flavor molecules vaporized from all the boiling to reduce and the dehydrating. But the wonderful gelatin mouthfeel is still there.

Comment

If you want some great dehydrator ideas, go check out some raw vegan recipe sites. You can make all sorts of stuff!

Comment

I've also used mine to make yogurt.
                    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by AuroraB View Post
                      I've also used mine to make yogurt.
                      ???? How so?

Comment

Originally posted by EyeOfRound View Post
                        ???? How so?

I used organic, low heat pasturized (sp?) whole milk, heated it again on the stovetop and put the culture in, just following direction on the yogurt culture package, etc. After I put it in containers, I put it in my excalibur (without the top trays) and set the temp just under 110 degrees F and let it run for around 10 to 12 hours. After that, cooled it in the fridge for a day and then I made it into greek yogurt. I double strained it and it was the best tasting greek style yogurt I've ever had, it had a thick creamy texture and a slightly sweet taste. Mmmmmmm....
                        Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Oh, I am jealous. Buy it! I made jerky using my oven on the lowest possible setting but it was a pain in the ass. I wished for a dehydrator the entire time. I am sure you can find tons of great recipes for lots of things to do with it with a quick google though. I myself have never regretted buying a kitchen appliance...

Comment

Definitely buy it! I've gotten so much use out of mine since going primal. My favorite is dried strawberries, just cut them in half or slice and put right on the trays. Other berries work too, but are more labor intensive (blueberries need to be cut in half individually and placed cut side up). Thin sliced apples dipped in lemon juice and sprinkled with cinnamon are also fantastic, but high on carbs so easy to overdo it.

It works for vegetables too- I've dried zucchini, eggplant, shredded carrots, and celery. If you're rehydrating, the texture can be a little odd so it's best to use them in recipes like soups or frittatas. I love being able to stock up on produce when it's in season at the farmers market and eat all year. It also means I can rely a little less on grocery stores and food that's been gassed and trucked in from wherever.

I haven't tried jerky yet but it's definitely on my list! I can't stand any of the storebought stuff.

Comment

You can make beef or I believe fish jerky. Chicken and pork I believe need to be cooked before dehydrating. I make camping and hiking meals in addition to kid munchies. Most fruits and veggied dehydrate well although mushrooms and onions may drive you out of the room with the smell while they are dehydrating. Most veggies last longer if they have been blanched first to shut down the enzyme action. Some fruits like blueberries and cherries dry much faster after they have been blanched and the waxiness taken off their skins. Fruit leather and yogurt leather which can be eaten as leathers or rehydrated while camping. Citrus doesn't leave much behind if dehydrated and seedy berries like blackberries and raspberries come out a bit crunchy. Anything that can be pureed can be dried and reconstituted later. Many backpackers will dehydrated stews and other cooked meals to take hiking with them. Meats really need to be lean or defatted or they can go rancid. I usually put jerky in the freezer to help it to keep longer. Some of the backpacking sites have dehydrater advice. My kids are very fond of dried pineapple, strawberries and kiwifruit.

Comment

Working...
                              X