Chili con Mucha Carne

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chili con Mucha Carne

It's getting cold out, so I thought I'd share my default chili recipe! It's simmering on my stove right now.

2 tablespoons oil or fat (I use bacon fat)
    1 pound of beef stew meat
    1 pound of cubed pork- I cut up a couple of pork chops, but could use whatever cut
    1 onion, diced
    3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped or crushed
    1/2 of a dried pasilla chili pepper, finely chopped

In a heavy pot, brown the meat in half of the fat over medium heat. Set aside, add the other tablespoon of fat, turn the heat down, and cook the onion and garlic until tender. Add the pepper and cook a bit longer.

Make a paste out of:
    2 TB chili powder
    1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
    1 TB cumin
    1 TB oregano
    1 tsp thyme
    2 TB cilantro
    1 and 1/2 TB cocoa powder
    some water

Add this paste to the pan and cook a bit longer, just a couple of minutes. You want the spices to toast- you'll know by the delicious smell.

Add the meat back in, and deglaze the pan with:
    1 cup strongly brewed coffee
    2 cups bone broth

Last, add a small can of tomatoes with the juice. If they're whole, squeeze in your hand to break them up a little.

Cover and simmer for about 2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Then take the lid off and simmer until it reduces down and thickens to your liking. To speed this step up, you could add a little tomato paste. Taste and add more chipotle powder and salt if needed to bump up the heat. Be careful if you don't like spicy, the chipotle powder packs a punch in just a little bit!

This makes enough to fill my 2-quart dutch oven and is about 5-6 servings for me. Click here to see the Paleotrack nutrition if it's divided into 6 servings: http://i.imgur.com/hyyJS.png

Enjoy!

That sounds super!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Sounds great to me too. I will give it a whirl.
      Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
      Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
      Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Originally posted by KimNKY View Post
        It's getting cold out, so I thought I'd share my default chili recipe! It's simmering on my stove right now.

2 tablespoons oil or fat (I use bacon fat)
        1 pound of beef stew meat
        1 pound of cubed pork- I cut up a couple of pork chops, but could use whatever cut
        1 onion, diced
        3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped or crushed
        1/2 of a dried pasilla chili pepper, finely chopped

In a heavy pot, brown the meat in half of the fat over medium heat. Set aside, add the other tablespoon of fat, turn the heat down, and cook the onion and garlic until tender. Add the pepper and cook a bit longer.

Make a paste out of:
        2 TB chili powder
        1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
        1 TB cumin
        1 TB oregano
        1 tsp thyme
        2 TB cilantro
        1 and 1/2 TB cocoa powder
        some water

Add this paste to the pan and cook a bit longer, just a couple of minutes. You want the spices to toast- you'll know by the delicious smell.

Add the meat back in, and deglaze the pan with:
        1 cup strongly brewed coffee
        2 cups bone broth

Last, add a small can of tomatoes with the juice. If they're whole, squeeze in your hand to break them up a little.

Cover and simmer for about 2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Then take the lid off and simmer until it reduces down and thickens to your liking. To speed this step up, you could add a little tomato paste. Taste and add more chipotle powder and salt if needed to bump up the heat. Be careful if you don't like spicy, the chipotle powder packs a punch in just a little bit!

This makes enough to fill my 2-quart dutch oven and is about 5-6 servings for me. Click here to see the Paleotrack nutrition if it's divided into 6 servings: http://i.imgur.com/hyyJS.png

Enjoy!
        Coffee! That is something I had not thought about in my chili. I guess I've used chocolate before so why not java? Thanks! I love, love, love chili. This looks like a great recipe. Toasted spices are key.
        sigpic
        Age 48
        Start date: 7-5-12
        5'3"
        121lbs
        GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
        Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

Originally posted by PHaselow View Post
          Coffee! That is something I had not thought about in my chili. I guess I've used chocolate before so why not java? Thanks! I love, love, love chili. This looks like a great recipe. Toasted spices are key.
          I've been using coffee in my chili for a while, but only discovered the chocolate thing recently. For this recipe I think the chocolate and smokiness from the chipotle pepper are what make it extra awesome! During winter I think I could live off of chili and never get tired of it!

Comment

coffee! what a great idea

Comment

Looks like some pretty good chili. You have a lot of the same spices as my paleo chili recipe, except I have a ton of peppers and sweet potatoes in mine. This weekend I am going to try making paleo chili with ground turkey instead of beef.
              Fitness Wayne | Paleo Health, Exercise and Weight Loss Blog
              Fitness Wayne Facebook Page

Comment

This was delicious!

Comment

I made this again yesterday to have some food ready for a January whole30, but with venison instead of pork, and reduced the spiciness because my stomach has been a little off since the holidays. It was my first time trying venison- a friend gave me some from a hunting trip and it looked like a tougher cut so a slow cook seemed best for it.

I also tried braising it in the oven at 225 for a couple of hours instead of on the stove. All those changes worked out really well! I think this is a pretty forgiving recipe.

Comment

Wow, that recipe sounds great, I may have to make some soon to have stored up.

Comment

Originally posted by KimNKY View Post
                      but only discovered the chocolate thing recently.
                      And you're from Cincy?

Comment

Originally posted by Rojo View Post
                        And you're from Cincy?
                        I'm a transplant from Wisconsin- so the chili I grew up with was meat, beans, and tomatoes with premade seasoning. On top of noodles, with oyster crackers and cheese! I'm not a huge fan of the Cincinnati style, although I suppose the plain chili could be primal-ish- a quick look at Gold Star's website says it contains gluten and MSG though.

Comment

That DOES look good. Tomorrow's supper sorted out!

Comment

Mmm similar to mine. Chili is one of my favorite foods, and I always have to try other people's recipes. I'll have to give yours a try at some point.

I use all beef brisket/chuck, anchos, a little bacon, onions, chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, garlic, tinned tomatoes, cider, and winter squash.

Comment

Working...
                            X