Beef Bone Broth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef Bone Broth

I've read that using apple cider vinegar when making bone broth helps extract minerals in the process, this is a good thing. Must it be apple cider in particular? Am trying to avoid a trip to the store, and I have a nice large bottle of good white wine vinegar - will this serve the need? Just curious - thanks!

Never heard that. I have been trying to find some grassfed/organic soup bones and not having a lot of luck. I have been making a chicken broth w/ Publix Greenwise chicken. I am guessing it would work as well? Could it be taste? I was actually going to put some apple slices in my broth this go round. Honestly, I don't like the taste but have been drinking it for the goodness in it.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by valmason01 View Post
      Never heard that. I have been trying to find some grassfed/organic soup bones and not having a lot of luck.
      U.S. Wellness Meats — Our Animals Eat Right So You Can Too.

Out of stock right now, but that's where I got my bones.

As to the question... I haven't heard about that. Of course, I don't know a whole lot about bone broth vs. regular beef broth, so... yeah.
      See my progress at Cocoa's Corner.

Or check out my journal thread here.

If I accidently make you a brony or convert you to Taoism, well... you shouldn't have talked to me if you didn't want that to happen.

Comment

Thanks for the link. Have you ever used oxtail?

Out of stock right now, but that's where I got my bones.

Age 48
        height 5'3
        SW 215 lbs
        LW 172 lbs
        GW 125ish lbs

Comment

I used regular white vinegar because I had it on hand.
          Sandra
          *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Thanks for the link. Have you ever used oxtail?
            Yes. Actually, the last broth I made, I used 2 lbs of oxtail and 1 lb of small marrow bones.

If I accidently make you a brony or convert you to Taoism, well... you shouldn't have talked to me if you didn't want that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by CocoaNut View Post
              Yes. Actually, the last broth I made, I used 2 lbs of oxtail and 1 lb of small marrow bones.
              Good to know. One more question (and thanks so much for the info) How much did that make? I have been using one medium chicken in a crock pot. Maybe I just need a bigger pot and add more water/apple cider vinegar? It just doesn't seem to yield that much.

Age 48
              height 5'3
              SW 215 lbs
              LW 172 lbs
              GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Good to know. One more question (and thanks so much for the info) How much did that make? I have been using one medium chicken in a crock pot. Maybe I just need a bigger pot and add more water/apple cider vinegar? It just doesn't seem to yield that much.
                Keep a kettle of water nearby and, when you see the water level going down, heat the kettle and add water to the pot.

Though a larger pot would be helpful.

I started out with a little over a half gallon of water for 3 lbs of beef (one gallon for one 4.6 lb chicken), and I think I ended up with about as much stock (same for the chicken).

ALSO make sure that the stock is at a bare simmer, nothing more. You should see a few bubbles pop up every once in a while and that's it (no steam).

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
                  I used regular white vinegar because I had it on hand.
                  I forgot to ask...how did it turn out?

Age 48
                  height 5'3
                  SW 215 lbs
                  LW 172 lbs
                  GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Hmmm...I bet my crock pot is too hot because i have seen it bubbling a lot.

Originally posted by CocoaNut View Post
                    Keep a kettle of water nearby and, when you see the water level going down, heat the kettle and add water to the pot.

Though a larger pot would be helpful.

I started out with a little over a half gallon of water for 3 lbs of beef (one gallon for one 4.6 lb chicken), and I think I ended up with about as much stock (same for the chicken).

ALSO make sure that the stock is at a bare simmer, nothing more. You should see a few bubbles pop up every once in a while and that's it (no steam).

Age 48
                    height 5'3
                    SW 215 lbs
                    LW 172 lbs
                    GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Yeah, that will produce a number of problems with the broth, not the least of which is loss in volume.

Comment

I think my crockpot is also too hot, even on the low setting, but it works. I used the white wine vinegar this weekend, and while the broth has the most incredible aroma, it didn't gel as much as it has with the apple cider vinegar. Of course, it doesn't mean the cause was the change of vinegar, but the broth is still yummy and full of goodness. The smaller bones were crumbling at my touch when I removed them.

Comment

Originally posted by Catrin View Post
                          I think my crockpot is also too hot, even on the low setting, but it works. I used the white wine vinegar this weekend, and while the broth has the most incredible aroma, it didn't gel as much as it has with the apple cider vinegar. Of course, it doesn't mean the cause was the change of vinegar, but the broth is still yummy and full of goodness. The smaller bones were crumbling at my touch when I removed them.
                          I used the apple cider vinegar for the first time this weekend and oh my gosh it was good. So much better to me. I want a big stock pot. I think I will start looking for one.

Age 48
                          height 5'3
                          SW 215 lbs
                          LW 172 lbs
                          GW 125ish lbs

Comment

I made bone broth this weekend out of a collection of short rib, shank, and marrow bones. I covered the bones by a couple inches of water, added 1/3 cup Braggs unfiltered apple cider vinegar and simmered the broth on top of the stove for about 26-27 hours.

The resulting broth smells divine, and I am looking forward to using it. There was very little gelatin in the broth this morning after allowing it to sit in the fridge overnight. I assume this is because I didn't have any joints in the mix? I kept it at a slow simmer - I can get a slower simmer on the stove than I can my crock-pot.

I've heard you can use bones more than once, so I put them in the crock-pot last night with more vinegar and we will see how it turns out. I am uncomfortable leaving something on the stove unattended for 13 hours on a weekday. I don't mind that if I am home (even sleeping), but not when I am gone that long.

Comment

Working...
                            X