Uhm....NAAN!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uhm....NAAN!

Normally, I'm a primal recipe thief, stealing most of the things I cook from a vast array of Primal/Paleo blogs. This morning I attempted Saoirse's manioc flour tortilla recipe, and while they had good flavor, my husband and I couldn't get past the gummy texture that inevitably results in tapioca flour baked goods, and they ended up going into the trash (sadly!). This evening I was cooking some chicken tikka masala and really wanted something naan-like to sop up the delicious sauce. I considered the gummy texture dilemma, and it occurred to me that a bit of coconut flour might solve the problem. And . . . it did! It was so successful that I had to share, and I never post! These ended up turning out better than I could have expected, and I would imagine that without the garlic (and perhaps some cinnamon), they would make a pretty rocking pancake for those 20 percent weekend mornings.

*note* Tapioca starch, while gluten free, is still a starch and can spike blood sugar, etc. Though Mark lists it as a safer starch, I wouldn't consume it very often, and I reserve it for part of my 20 percent or for those very rare occasions when, like tonight, I just crave something bread-y.

Tapioca Starch Naan (makes about 3 decent sized naans)

3/4 cup tapioca starch (I used Bob's Red Mill)
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (I used Trader Joe's)
    1 TBSP (yes, TABLESPOON) of baking powder
    1 TBSP of coconut flour (NOT OPTIONAL)
    1/4 cup full fat Greek yogurt (I used Fage)
    2 eggs
    1 TBSP Olive Oil or melted coconut oil/butter
    1 TSP minced garlic
    salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste

*Mix all of the dry ingredients together, then add the wet ingredients. Mix until there are no lumps. The batter will be thicker than pancake batter but not like a bread dough. Let sit in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. The dough will become fluffy like a souffle at this point. Heat a pan on high, melt a little butter, and spoon about 1/3 of the mixture onto the hot pan. Spread out the mixture as best as you can to about 1/2 inch thickness and cook for a couple of minutes on one side. The bottom should brown and crisp up quite a bit. Then, flip over and cook for a couple of more minutes. I preferred mine really crispy on the outside, but you can remove it earlier if you want it softer.

Beautiful, no? 3739_556579719445_1670485777_n.jpg

Can you actually fold it or does it crumble?
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Comment

You can definitely fold it. It's pretty pliable and not crumbly at all. The fact that it's almost entirely tapioca starch helps keep it from crumbling or getting hard like a lot of stuff with coconut flour.
      Last edited by vdm86; 10-06-2012, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Hmmm, if this works you're my hero. Naan/pita/flat bread is my wheat weakness.....and doughnuts...I know terrible.
        "Go For Broke"
        Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
        Small Kine-168/9%
        Now- 200/8%
        Goal- 210/6%

Comment

We just tried these. Excellent. Thanks for the great recipe. We will definitely be having them again next time i cook curry.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
            Hmmm, if this works you're my hero. Naan/pita/flat bread is my wheat weakness.....and doughnuts...I know terrible.
            I hope it works for you! As for donuts . . . I'm afraid I'm not a miracle worker.

Comment

Originally posted by sigzephyr View Post
              We just tried these. Excellent. Thanks for the great recipe. We will definitely be having them again next time i cook curry.
              Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed them! Thanks for letting me know!

Comment

These sound a lot like flat Brazilian cheese breads. What a fantastic idea! Definitely something I'll do with my next curry.
                Paul
                http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

These were super awesome, however I must warn anyone who tries it next--this stuff is dangerous. I forgot to warn my husband about how filling tapioca flour is, he said "it's too late, I'm like Pippin and the lembas bread!".

Comment

How true that is, meeshar

I make up Primal Soairse's tortilla recipe every now and again, and even those thin almost crepe tortillas are filling. I can imagine these are filling. Mind you, so are Naan with wheat flour. The key is to lather it in butter or ghee and loads of garlic.

Damn it! I need to make up a curry and try these out.
                    Paul
                    http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                    http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Made this with some pork coconut curry tonite. Family pronounced it delicious, but not really naan. It's too spongy. They dubbed it Pho (Faux) Naan. I think it would make a yummy breakfast pancake as well.

The dough stiffened up quite a bit in the frig and I had to wet my fingers to press it out to 1/2". Do you think it could spend 10 min at room temp instead?
                      50yo, 5'3"
                      SW-195
                      CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                      GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

OH MY GOD, I think I love you!
                        A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

These look waaaaay better than the coconut flour ones I made a year or so ago! Thanks!
                          Steph
                          My Primal Meanderings

Comment

I sent this link to a friend and she made it yesterday and she and her boyfriend thought it was the best thing ever. They used them as pizza crusts.

Comment

I cannot wait to try this. I often want something bready too!

Comment

Working...
                              X