Uhm....NAAN!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justme View Post
    Don't murder me for asking. Has anyone made these successfully without the dairy? Or am I just dreaming?

I wish that we could tolerate it
    I wondered about this too, but ended up just following the recipe as is. Let us know if you find something that works. Perhaps cashew cream would do it?

Comment

Small boy is allergic

I am not an experienced enough cook to have my experiments turn out, so I think that I will keep waiting for a dairy free recipe to pop up.

Sent from my LG-E617G using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

If you are allergic to cow milk but tolerate goat milk ( caseine A1 intollerance ) you might tolerate Buffalo mozarella. I just had my first pizza since going primal June 2012 with buffalo mozarella and an adapted version of this crust and no problems. : ) Loved it.
        Last edited by paleodutch; 11-04-2013, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Interesting!! I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Sent from my LG-E617G using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

I've been making this once a month or so. My family doesn't find it to be a very convincing substitute for naan, but when DD is craving a bit of bready something, it fills the bill. Tonight I used sesame oil because the bottle I have doesn't have much sesame flavor and it was great. Next time I'm going to try to make squarish shapes and use them for a tuna salad sandwich. I'd also like to try cutting back on the coconut flour and tapioca starch a bit to see if I can get a thinner bread. I think it might be great for gyros.
            50yo, 5'3"
            SW-195
            CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
            GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Originally posted by LauraSB View Post
              I think it might be great for gyros.
              That's exactly what I did with it with just some minor changes
              www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

Comment

Originally posted by vdm86 View Post
                I hope it works for you! As for donuts . . . I'm afraid I'm not a miracle worker.
                You just made naan bread healthy. I think that's grounds for 'messiah'

Comment

This looks fantastic. Going to try it tomorrow. Two questions...

1. Do you think it's OK to freeze leftovers? Or is there a better way to store?

2. Can anyone hazard a macro breakdown? Or, more specifically: Would this be a good post-workout fix, or better for non-workout days? (I'm trying to be mindful of higher fat/lower starchy carb on non-workout days and lower fat/higher starchy carb on workout days.)

Thanks in advance!
                  F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

I made this tonight. And it was FANTASTIC.
                    F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
                      This looks fantastic. Going to try it tomorrow. Two questions...

1. Do you think it's OK to freeze leftovers? Or is there a better way to store?

2. Can anyone hazard a macro breakdown? Or, more specifically: Would this be a good post-workout fix, or better for non-workout days? (I'm trying to be mindful of higher fat/lower starchy carb on non-workout days and lower fat/higher starchy carb on workout days.)

Thanks in advance!

Did you ever attempt freezing? I'd definitely put this on the post-workout list. (Sorry, just made it back to this thread. Stopped getting notifications for some reason.)

Comment

I made Brazilian cheese bread with Arrowroot Starch once instead of Tapioca...do you think that would be an acceptable switch? I just don't have Tapioca but plenty of Arrowroot. Looks good though!

Comment

Originally posted by Kwaggz View Post
                          I made Brazilian cheese bread with Arrowroot Starch once instead of Tapioca...do you think that would be an acceptable switch? I just don't have Tapioca but plenty of Arrowroot. Looks good though!
                          I almost always sub tapioca for arrowroot in recipes (arrowroot seems to upset my husband's stomach for some reason but tapioca doesn't), so I don't see why the reverse wouldn't work.

Comment

I made these the other night with a curry and they were excellent, but they don't really seem like Naan to me. They also toasted nicely as leftovers.

Comment

Originally posted by eats.meats.west View Post
                              I made these the other night with a curry and they were excellent, but they don't really seem like Naan to me. They also toasted nicely as leftovers.
                              I agree. They're too spongy. I think they're closer to the flat bread that gyros are served in. They're tasty though.

I think there are just some textures that can't be faked without gluten.
                              50yo, 5'3"
                              SW-195
                              CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                              GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

I just finished making these and they turned out to look, feel, and taste like pancakes. I will make them again when I feel the need for something different but I'd leave out all of the garlic. I was hoping this would be more bread like or like a tortilla but it's nothing like that at all. Tastes good though.

Maybe if I made them thicker they might rise up more and be more bread like or pizza dough like but what I hoped.
                                Let's get out there and make this a great day!

Comment

Working...
                                X