Coconut vs. almond flour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut vs. almond flour

I have almond flour at home and have used it with success on occasion. However, I see recipes for baked goods with coconut flour quite often. Is there a huge difference in taste and texture when you use the two different flours or are they pretty much interchangeable? Just not sure if I should make the trip to the organic store and drop an inane amount of money on coconut flour or if almond flour will suffice as a substitute....

changes the carb/protein/fat ratio big time, if thats a concern for you.

other than that, the cookies I make come out lighter/fluffier with coconut flour as opposed to almond flour. Also have to use much less coconut flour. But I prefer taste of almond flour, I will say that.

Comment

You can't do a straight swap of CF for AF - CF absorbs much more moisture so you need to use less. I prefer the taste of AF goods, but then again I don't really like coconut.

Elana's Pantry might offer some ideas; she uses both in various recipes on her site: Product Review: Coconut Flour | Elana's Pantry
      I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
        changes the carb/protein/fat ratio big time, if thats a concern for you.
        What's your view on what is the healthiest option? Would that be coconut flour?

Comment

Originally posted by Hemming View Post
          What's your view on what is the healthiest option? Would that be coconut flour?
          only you can decide that based on your own goals.

Comment

Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
            only you can decide that based on your own goals.
            That's good

Comment

I prefer coconut flour. I make pizza crust and cookies sometimes and I tried a crust with almond flour first and it was waaaay too dense. The crust with coconut flour was much more like actual pizza crust. The cookies called for all almond flour, but I did half almond and half coconut and they are great! I like the flavor of both, so taste isn't really an issue.

Comment

Around here, coconut flour is cheaper than almond flour. I use both. It depends what I'm making for which one I use. I can get a lighter texture from the coconut flour. I tend to get the best results when I use both together. Does that make sense?
                Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

I used to bake with almond flour until I was here for a little while and learned more about Omega 6 and the heating of the PUFA-laden nut flours. Since then, I've been a coconut flour girl all the way on the now rare occasion that I feel like I have to have something doughy.

Some people use half almond, half coconut for that reason, but the coconut flour is mighty thirsty and it can be a pain to get the combo right. Either way, there's bit of a learning curve.
                  Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

I like almond for my health as compare to coconut.

Comment

First off, God I miss Alta.

Would coconut flour not be better for the ????? (don't know the words off hand, where if you don't use it as fuel it's flushed, can't store as fat?
                      55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
                      Chest; 41.5
                      Waist; 42
                      Hips; 40
                      Thigh; 22.5
                      Calf; 15
                      Bicep: 13
                      Forearm; 11.5
                      Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
                      Chest; 42
                      Waist; 42.5
                      Hips; 39
                      Thigh; 23
                      Calf; 15
                      Bicep: 13
                      Forearm; 11.5
                      Neck; 16

Comment

If by "having success" with almond flour you mean "manufacturing varnish in your oven," then I can understand.

Remember - polyunsaturated fat is highly unstable, and nuts are generally some of nature's greatest sources of concentrated polyunsaturated fats. They are very susceptible to oxidation by heat, air and light, and grinding them into meals that increase the surface area an order of magnitude, then subjecting them to oven temperatures that cannot physically occur on the surface of Planet Earth is going to rapidly degenerate those fats.

Don't heat your nuts. Never cook with nut meals. You are literally making varnish in your oven. After all, paint thinner is traditionally heated flaxseed oil. You get that wonderfully hard, wood-protective quality with paints and stains because the fats are so fragile, when they get heated they turn into something like a glass coating. Nut and seed oils are fantastic to finish cast iron with while things like animal fats and olive oil yield poor cast iron seasonings. Know why? Because the nut and seed oils oxidize and leave that non-stick, glass-like coating while the stable fats do not oxidize and result in a poor finish. That's a reason to NOT consume those oils.

Coconut flour does not suffer from this. Bake away I say if you're okay with incorporating "fail-eo" foods into your diet. Coconut flour bread isn't outright toxic like almond meal bread can potentially be, but you're still eating bread.
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJenGo View Post
                          I used to bake with almond flour until I was here for a little while and learned more about Omega 6 and the heating of the PUFA-laden nut flours. Since then, I've been a coconut flour girl all the way on the now rare occasion that I feel like I have to have something doughy.

Some people use half almond, half coconut for that reason, but the coconut flour is mighty thirsty and it can be a pain to get the combo right. Either way, there's bit of a learning curve.
                          This is good advice IMO. More food for thought:

Omega 6 linoleic acid is actually the shortest-chain fatty acid of the PUFA's. While omega 6 oxidizes rapidly, remember that omega 3 oxidizes even more quickly. Walnuts are going to be more easily oxidized than almonds because walnuts have more PUFA, a lot of omega 3's and less vitamin E. Flaxseeds are going to be even more easily oxidized due to very high omega 3 content. Fish oil is going to oxidize the most rapidly of all because they are the longest-chain fats in nature. EPA and DHA (especially DHA) are incredibly dangerous to isolate, and this is why you cannot pay me to take fish oil supplements. The most fragile fat in nature isolated in a laboratory from farmed fish that is almost certain to oxidize as soon as you ingest it? Pass.

I have always questioned that golden 1:1 ratio of n3:n6. N3 seems more dangerous to ingest large quantities of unless you're...get this...eating whole, very fresh, lightly cooked fish...like in traditional shore-based societies, not land-locked societies popping artificial several month-old fish oil pills made in a laboratory somewhere. Hmmm...
                          Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 10-10-2012, 09:43 AM.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                            Remember - polyunsaturated fat is highly unstable, and nuts are generally some of nature's greatest sources of concentrated polyunsaturated fats. They are very susceptible to oxidation by heat, air and light, and grinding them into meals that increase the surface area an order of magnitude, then subjecting them to oven temperatures that cannot physically occur on the surface of Planet Earth is going to rapidly degenerate those fats.
                            So much this. Furthermore, even if you're not heating the almond meal, don't forget that almonds have a ton of omega-6 fatty acids (edit: The problem with heating them in the first place). Some is good and even necessary, but I actually started transitioning to using more coconut flour simply because of that. It's very easy to throw your fatty acid ratio out of balance just by using too much almond flour. Oh, and it's cheaper, too.

If you see a recipe for almond flour and want to convert that to coconut flour, the standard ratio seems to be 3 c almond flour to 1 c coconut flour. Just be prepared to add a little more flour or a little more liquid (coconut milk, butter, etc) than before, and this is ESPECIALLY true when you're converting 1 c or less of almond flour (1/3 c coconut flour).

I do find that the flavor of coconut flour does add something, so don't use it on dishes where you wouldn't appreciate a little extra coconut flavor (for the most part, I use these flours to make pancakes and the like, which generally benefit from a bit of coconut flavor). Then again, I have rather sensitive taste buds, so you might not notice the difference.
                            See my progress at Cocoa's Corner.

Or check out my journal thread here.

If I accidently make you a brony or convert you to Taoism, well... you shouldn't have talked to me if you didn't want that to happen.

Comment

To address some of the concerns, I use coconut/almond flour pretty sparingly. I'll make cookies with it maybe once a month, and then recently I made zucchini bread, but only used about 1/3 cup of coconut flour in the end. I'm not a huge fail-eo baker, it's just an occasional treat. I never really considered regularly making/eating things like muffins from almond meals, pancakes, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X