chia seeds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chia seeds

i have found a recipe for lunchwraps i wanted to try for the kids lunchboxes. it has ground up chia seeds in them. it doesnt say in the recipe if they are there for nutritional value or for texture. does anyone know?

When wet, chia seeds get somewhat gelatinous, so they may be included to bind the mixture. They are sometimes used as an egg substitute. They are also used for soluble fiber supplementation.
    Depression Lies

Comment

so for a wrap without eggs or gluten wheat flour, it would make the texture better. i will see if i can find some when i go to the shops to try.

Comment

I really like adding some to beverages, don't care so much for its properties (though they all sound pretty good) but I'm a fan of the texture.
        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

i still didnt manage to get some. i guess i have this mental block from my vegan days of all this funky stuff that got added to things for "health" benefits. but i will make the effort and try as lunch wraps would be very useful to be able to make for school lunches.

Comment

Chia seeds make a wonderful tapioca style pudding --

Using a pint size jar (I like the wide mouth) pour about 2/3 full with whole milk, or part milk and part half half and half.

Add
            1 tablespoon maple syrup
            1/2 teaspoon vanilla
            1/4 cup of chia seeds.

Put the lid on and shake well. (You may have to use a spoon to stir and get the seeds off the bottom of the jar.) Then shake or stir every couple of minutes or so until the seeds swell up stay well distributed - maybe 15 -20 minutes. Then stir in more milk until the jar is full. Store in the refrigerator. Ready in about an hour -- or overnight. Serves 2 or 3 -- good for breakfast or dessert!

Note: I tried making this in a quart size jar, but it was too big for the shaking method and I got clumps of seeds. To make a bigger batch, make in a bowl and stir it well rather than shaking it.
            Ruth

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Comment

thankyou =) the kids will like this and i have access to raw milk. do the seeds go transparent and swell up like tapioca does?

Comment

The pudding is delicious, but no, the seeds swell but they don't become transparent like tapioca. They look kind of like 'blackberry seeds' in the pudding.

I also make this with coconut milk and without sweetener for a yummy, low carb topping for berries.
                Misti
                Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
                ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
                Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

Comment

I also make this with coconut milk and without sweetener for a yummy, low carb topping for berries.
                  yumm i will try as i have just started whole 30 ing.

Comment

I think chia seeds have a good amount of phytates in them...and IIRC their benefits aren't actually all that readily bioavailable. Not 100% sure though.
                    29/F
                    5'4.5
                    Highest weight: 220
                    Starting weight: 195
                    Current weight: 179
                    Goal weight: 127

Comment

you see this is something i always wonder about these funky wonder foods. if they do have phytates in them, the wrap recipe uses a negligable amount and i pick my battles with the kids. it will still be way way better than store brought GF bread for sandwiches. and at least i can shove loads more veges and cold meat into them that they wouldnt be eating otherwise.

Comment

Mark wrote about chia seeds recently and judged them to be primal:

Are Chia Seeds Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
                        Ruth

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Comment

I just made your chia seed pudding with coconut milk...it was marvelous! Tasty and filling it's a great idea, Thanks!
                          A Woman's Place Is In The Revolution.

Comment

Originally posted by meeme View Post
                            I just made your chia seed pudding with coconut milk...it was marvelous! Tasty and filling it's a great idea, Thanks!
                            I haven't tried it with coconut milk -- I was afraid the fat in the coconut milk would make clumps when the pudding was chilled and I didn't want grainy clumps of coconut oil in my pudding. Now, with your encouragement, I should probably try it and see!
                            Ruth

Comment

i can get a brand of coconut milk which is fair traded here that is only about 1g less fat per can than coconut cream and it doesnt do that clumpy fat thing when it gets cold. i make coconut milk creme brulee without sugar with it which is divinely smooth. what sort of flavour do chia seeds have or is it just a texture thing?

Comment

Working...
                              X