• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual or uncommon foods you want to try

Frog legs

Rattlesnake

Mealworms

Scorpions (would try this before grasshoppers)

Turtle

frogs legs are tasty but very insubstantial in size ie gotta kill a bunch of froggies for a decent meal

Comment

I wanna try them.

I also kinda wanna eat escargot.

Comment

escargots are disappointing for me as really it's only the great garlic sauce they are served with that has flavour

Comment

I love frog legs and escargot.

This year I'm hoping to get some woodchuck and coyote. If I get the chance, maybe possum and porcupine too. It all depends on what my nephew manages to trap for me.

Comment

I used to work at a restaurant that had frogs legs on the menu and cooking them always made me laugh as they were deep fried and these stupidly skinny little legs would rise to the top when done, also another place I was at had a plate of different type of things to try like widgety grubs, crocodile, emu and kangaroo, think it was called the SAS plate.

Yes I agree with Jedi it is the yummy garlic butter that makes the escargot taste nice, it’s like eating garlic flavoured snot. Oh and also have cooked brains and they look very grey and unappealing.

I wouldn’t mind trying grasshopper or crickets, at least they would be nice and crunchy. Also wouldn't mind learning more about bush tucker, I learnt about it as a kid but have forgotten a lot of it.

Comment

frog legs in coconut curry --- yummy

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

I like escargot, it reminds me of mushrooms (love those too). Other people have said the same, if you love mushrooms you'll like escargot as well. The buttery garlic is also delicious

You are what you eat,
                and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

All those snails in the gardens of California are escaped escargots! I often thought of eating them but read in a number of places that they taste reflects what they've been eating. Ivy not being my favorite salad - Hey! How many carbs DOES ivy have?

Commercial escargot are fed grains to keep the flavor mild.

And it certainly IS the sauce that makes them worth eating.

Comment

escragots in France are not fed grains and are gathered from the vineyards!

Comment

Yep, it's the sauce that makes escargot worth it. Put that much butter and garlic on Anything, and it would be yummy--you should definitely try it, Roger.

I had alligator once (tastes just like chicken!). It was breaded and deep-fried, though. I wonder if you can buy the meat and prepare it yourself.

Comment

Catalina- You certainly can! My dad got me a gift pack of exotic meats last year for Christmas. It included antelope, alligator, kangaroo and ostrich. The alligator was fantastic and actually didn't taste at all like chicken. I cooked it up with peppers and onions in fajita spices. It also works well in a chowder.

Reptiles and amphibians seem to tend towards a fishy-sort of texture. Somewhat like shark. Kinda meaty.

Comment

I can see that alligator would taste like chicken as turtle and frog is always compared to chicken.

Antelope is delicious! My favorite part of antelope is the ribs.

I also love ostrich meat, so good.

Comment

As a general rule of thumb, if gator really tastes like chicken then it's been mishandled and likely overdone- it doesn't taste like "chicken" so much as it tastes like processed chicken nuggets- delicate meat with most of its character killed. Well-prepared gator tastes like gator and nothing else and man I wish I could get my hands on it more easily.

Love, love, good escargot- this is what mussels get to be in their next life if they are virtuous little bivalves.

I've had rattler, and know some folks who claim to be able to make it tasty, but so far as I can tell the only way to make it palatable is to stick it in a chili where being very greasy and gamey is actually a virtue of sorts.

I adore elk and consider it the reason to bid for a chance to go freeze and exhaust myself every winter, but I really want to try moose- I hear it's even better.

Comment

Jedi, thanks for that info. Maybe I was misinformed, or maybe they are grown here like we grow our chickens. But it still comes back to grape leaves being very edible, ivy not so much.

Comment

Working...
                              X