Help Me Out With Seaweed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me Out With Seaweed

Ok, I figured adding a little seaweed in every week wouldn't hurt for minerals, etc. Found some that is just straight-up dried seaweed sheets. And it's gross. I want to point out here that I'm hands-down the least picky eater I've ever met--I'll eat anything. And I can eat a sheet of this, but it's gross. So today I crumbled a sheet into a big egg scramble with bacon, veggies, salsa, all kinds of stuff. And it made the whole thing taste gross. How do I fix this stuff so it isn't gnarly?

perhaps powder it, cap it up as a supplement?
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

I think you're supposed to soak it first...

But what type of seaweed is it? Nori?

Comment

It may get better with time, or it may be the brand. Someone gave me some Nori about 7 years ago and I could not eat it, found it was horrible. In recent years I found the sea snacks seaweed made with olive oil and sea salt, Yum. Now I can eat the plain Nori straight out of the package. I prefer the olive oil one but find I can eat the plain without a problem. I think it's often a matter of what you are used to. My 7 year old prefers the sea snacks and will eat the entire package, she is not a fan of the plain.

You could try heating it in the oven for 30 seconds and adding a little sea salt. that changes the texture a little and I prefer it that way. Have not tried soaking it. Although, it did get a little soggy in my salad. Soaking it makes it possible to wrap things in it. Perhaps you could use it as a wrap around some turkey or fish?

Comment

Shred, add salt and sprinkle on rice? Mmmm furikake.
          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

I'll try soaking it next time, I guess. Maybe I'll just make a small ball out of it and power it down in one bite if it doesn't taste better. I don't get it; I love sushi when it's wrapped in seaweed. I just can't really get behind this one.

Comment

"seaweed" is too vague: what is it exactly?
              Primal food in Japan

Comment

Originally posted by Faumdano View Post
                "seaweed" is too vague: what is it exactly?
                Package says Nico Nico Nori Roasted Seaweed. They're big-ass sheets; like the size of a 1gal ziplock bag.

Comment

Where did you get the seaweed? I'm assuming that the sheets of seaweed you are talking about are nori sheets. Nori is usually used for sushi, and I'm not sure if it is commonly ate by itself. You should look for seaweed sheets that are seasoned. If you go to a health store or even just an Asian grocery, I'm sure you will find seasoned seaweed sheets.

Comment

I eat roasted seaweed on its own. Seasnax makes really good ones and it's roasted in olive oil not canola. Make sure you check for that. I normally just eat nori sheets on its own, kinda like eating chips.

Also there seaweed style noodles (kelp). I usually put this in soup. I put some bokchoy in a broth add a bit of salt and some chicken or whatever meat i have then throw in some lemon slices.

Comment

I use nori as wraps for any thing. I have never tried to eat one dry but have heard of people crumbling them into (anything).

Scrambled eggs, fried eggs, probably eggs any which way, sautéed vegetables of any sort, sautéed veg and meat of any sort, etc. Cook it, dump it on a plate you've put a sheet of nori (or whatever) on, and roll it up. Let it sit if you can stand it, so the whole sheet gets moistened and the flavors blend a bit, then chomp into it.

I'd expect you could spread some olive oil and spices, then either toast it or put *anything* into it, and it would be yummy. In fact I'm going to try that! Love kale chips and made some pretty incredible zucchini chips last weekend, so I'm sure I'll like nori that way too. (And much faster than waiting for the other stuff to crisp perfectly )
                      "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
                      "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
                      If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

I use regular Nori sheet w/ perforations to tear for Sushi. I lay out a whole sheet, put a large row of avocado and sunflower seeds at one end and roll the whole thing up like a burrito. Yum.

Comment

I use Nori for tuna salad "sandwiches", burrito style and I break it up into chicken stock for a "miso" style soup with alfalfa sprouts and shaves carrot.

If the Nori you have doesn't taste good, but you like sushi, try another brand.
                          Misti
                          Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
                          ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
                          Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I'll try some of these methods (it was 2 for 1, so I have a decent amount of sheets). I don't know what it is about this Nori. Maybe it tastes more concentrated because it's dried and I need to rehydrate it, but when I eat it I feel like I'm drowning in the ocean. While being strangled by a giant squid.

Comment

Ways I can eat seaweed without that giant squid sensation:

toasted nori in stir-fries
                              kombu in stock (I don't eat it, it gets strained out with the bones)
                              dulse straight from the packet, especially wrapped round cheddar

Unfortunately no-one seems to sell dulse round here any more.

I once bought some 'seaweed salad'. It was ever so pretty dried, and even prettier reconstituted - lovely colours - and was by some margin the most revolting food I've ever encountered. Exactly like eating something that's been decomposing on a beach for a week.

Comment

Working...
                              X