Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas on packed breakfasts for a preschooler?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ideas on packed breakfasts for a preschooler?

    I have a relatively picky 4-year-old who recently started pre-K at the local elementary school. The cafeteria breakfasts are mostly grains w/a side of sugar (cereal, waffles, french toast, etc.) and lunches aren't much better, so I pack two meals for her. While she'll eat eggs and bacon at home, the egg frittatas I made in muffin tins came home every day with just one bite taken out of them. Today I sent a banana, applesauce, and some gluten-free french toast sticks, I can guarantee that she'll eat every bite of it. She's a skinny and active kid, so I don't sweat stuff like that occasionally, but I'd like for her to have some source of protein in the mornings. She is not a fan of hard-boiled eggs (they smell bad to her) and the local pastured pork sausage I buy in bulk is "too spicy" for her. She does like bacon, maybe I can cook up a big batch in the oven and then just reheat before sending it off with her.

    It's a bit frustrating--I'd rather her eat breakfast at home, but I have to send something or they are required to feed her cafeteria food anyway. Her teachers have commented on how healthy her packed meals are, and that my daughter told them that their cereal was unhealthy. :x Her teacher also said that she wished her mom had fed her healthy food growing up, because she never developed a taste for it and doesn't eat it now. I was in a small Japanese restaurant recently and every single family aside from us requested NO VEGETABLES. REALLY??? I honestly did not realize how many people--grown people, not just kids--don't eat vegetables.

    Sorry, I veered off into a rant there. Does anyone have any other ideas for breakfast protein? I have been searching all morning and I probably just need to think outside the box, but not so far out that she won't eat it. Maybe savory sweet egg muffins? I have to drive to the city to get them, but I could stock up on Applegate's maple or apple breakfast sausages...

  • #2
    They are required to feed her?!? Something sounds wrong there they should not be required to force feed a child that has already eaten.
    Why not just feed her at home and send her in with a piece of fruit or some veg (carrot sticks) and a note that says she has already eaten.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

    Comment


    • #3
      They feel that it's not fair to kids to have to sit in the cafeteria while the rest of them eat, so they are required to give them food. It baffles me too, but it's not too much harder for me to pack something and send with her (they eat right after arrival), I just have to reformat her breakfast a little so that it's easy to put in a lunch box.

      Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
      They are required to feed her?!? Something sounds wrong there they should not be required to force feed a child that has already eaten.
      Why not just feed her at home and send her in with a piece of fruit or some veg (carrot sticks) and a note that says she has already eaten.

      Comment


      • #4
        yogurt! My 4yo usually gobbles yogurt right up. She even likes the Greek stuff as long as there's fruit in it. Maybe try some cheese sticks and/or lunch meat roll ups? Breakfast doesn't have to be breakfast food. It just has to be food.
        --Trish (Bork)
        TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
        http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
        FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by meeshar View Post
          I have a relatively picky 4-year-old who recently started pre-K at the local elementary school. The cafeteria breakfasts are mostly grains w/a side of sugar (cereal, waffles, french toast, etc.) and lunches aren't much better, so I pack two meals for her. While she'll eat eggs and bacon at home, the egg frittatas I made in muffin tins came home every day with just one bite taken out of them. Today I sent a banana, applesauce, and some gluten-free french toast sticks, I can guarantee that she'll eat every bite of it. She's a skinny and active kid, so I don't sweat stuff like that occasionally, but I'd like for her to have some source of protein in the mornings. She is not a fan of hard-boiled eggs (they smell bad to her) and the local pastured pork sausage I buy in bulk is "too spicy" for her. She does like bacon, maybe I can cook up a big batch in the oven and then just reheat before sending it off with her.

          It's a bit frustrating--I'd rather her eat breakfast at home, but I have to send something or they are required to feed her cafeteria food anyway. Her teachers have commented on how healthy her packed meals are, and that my daughter told them that their cereal was unhealthy. :x Her teacher also said that she wished her mom had fed her healthy food growing up, because she never developed a taste for it and doesn't eat it now. I was in a small Japanese restaurant recently and every single family aside from us requested NO VEGETABLES. REALLY??? I honestly did not realize how many people--grown people, not just kids--don't eat vegetables.

          Sorry, I veered off into a rant there. Does anyone have any other ideas for breakfast protein? I have been searching all morning and I probably just need to think outside the box, but not so far out that she won't eat it. Maybe savory sweet egg muffins? I have to drive to the city to get them, but I could stock up on Applegate's maple or apple breakfast sausages...
          If she can have dairy I'd send a apple with cheddar cheese. Would she enjoy a nice egg salad with celery sticks? As a kid I couldn't stand the smell of eggs, they made me nauseous and I couldn't count the number of fried eggs not eaten that were put in front of me for lunch, then dinner until I ate them. Horrible memory. I can relate with your daughter.

          I'm like you and constantly surprised by how many people won't eat veggies or 'unfamiliar' food...won't even try it.

          The healthy sausages sound good...
          Last edited by meeme; 09-12-2012, 11:38 AM.
          A Woman's Place Is In The Revolution.

          Comment


          • #6
            True, but I don't want her to get tired of things either--by her choice, her lunch is almost always rolled up lunch meat, cheese stick/Babybel, baby carrots and/or cucumber, and a small sweet treat (a primal mini-muffin, mini Larabar, organic fruit gummies, etc.). If she doesn't finish her meat/veg, she doesn't get a sweet treat the next day. Thankfully she hasn't figured out how to throw food away and brings the leftovers home. I do send yogurt some mornings, I guess that's a good amount of protein? I get whole milk greek yogurt when I can find it, and mix it with homemade preserves. Maybe yogurt, an egg-based muffin, and a fruit? I ran across this Pinterest page a little while ago and it's inspired me a bit more--I think she'd like a muffin with a sweet squash, cinnamon, eggs, and a bit of sausage--she really liked my butternut squash soup last winter. Paleo Recipes - Savory or Fruity Breakfasts


            Originally posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
            yogurt! My 4yo usually gobbles yogurt right up. She even likes the Greek stuff as long as there's fruit in it. Maybe try some cheese sticks and/or lunch meat roll ups? Breakfast doesn't have to be breakfast food. It just has to be food.

            Comment


            • #7
              I hated eggs as a kid too so I feel her (I only liked scrambled with cheese) but I don't get why she'll eat a fried egg and bacon at home, but only take one bite at school (I crack them into a cupcake mold and bake so they're easy to handle). Maybe they have to be super fresh? Scrambled eggs take no time at all though, and I could put them in her little soup thermos so they'd stay warm--thanks for triggering the idea!!

              Originally posted by meeme View Post
              If she can have dairy I'd send a apple with cheddar cheese. Would she enjoy a nice egg salad with celery sticks? As a kid I couldn't stand the smell of eggs, they made me nauseous and I couldn't count the number of fried eggs not eaten that were put in front of me for lunch, then dinner until I ate them. Horrible memory. I can relate with your daughter.

              I'm like you and constantly surprised by how many people won't eat veggies or 'unfamiliar' food...won't even try it.

              The healthy sausages sound good...

              Comment


              • #8
                Bacon can be precooked and lasts a long time at room temp. In some restaurants I worked in I cooked bacon for the week so I wouldnt have to deal with it every single day
                Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                Before and after pics
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                Primal Sucess Story
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                Primal Journal
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

                Comment


                • #9
                  Does she like jerky? A little bit goes a long way if you made some in little packages for her... my kids love greek yoghurt with a little honey and vanilla. COttage cheese is also a goodie sometimes... especially with a piece of fruit. What about making some vegetable/ egg fritters, they are really portable too. A slice of leftover meatloaf ... just some thoughts.
                  Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                  Primal low: 186 lbs
                  Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                  Goal weight: 140 lbs

                  "You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Nuts.
                    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

                    Griff's cholesterol primer
                    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                    bloodorchid is always right

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X