Buckwheat flour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckwheat flour

Has anyone ever used buckwheat flour; I'm trying to bake something with it but I don't know how to work with it in terms of ratios and how it behaves with other ingredients.

I made pancakes with it. It's pretty gross. I say bake with regular flour but only once a year
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Really? Just the pancakes that tasted bad and have you tried something else with it, cause I've tried buckwheat toast and soba noodles and they tasted great.
      Last edited by Darz; 08-25-2012, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Chris Kresser has a post about a recipe for buckwheat pancakes:
        Sourdough buckwheat pancakes – now they’re even fluffier!

Comment

never enjoyed buckwheat...I can give you a GF mix that I use sometimes for my kiddos if interested!
          Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
          http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Darz View Post
            Really? Just the pancakes that tasted bad and have you tried something else with it, cause I've tried buckwheat toast and soba noodles and they tasted great.
            I found buckwheat pancakes to be horrendous too. And I LOVE soba noodles.
            My Journal: Englishman In Oz, Skinny to Muscle in a Primal Way

Comment

Originally posted by solstice View Post
              never enjoyed buckwheat...I can give you a GF mix that I use sometimes for my kiddos if interested!
              Hi Solstice! I'd be happy to get that GF mix recipe if you don't mind.

~~Shannon
              Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Englishman in Oz View Post
                I found buckwheat pancakes to be horrendous too. And I LOVE soba noodles.
                Ditto. I adore soba noodles (ate them daily when in Japan for 3 weeks... so much tastier than udon!) but have always disliked buckwheat flour.
                >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
                >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
                >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Is buckwheat considered Primal?
                  My Primal Journal:
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65788.html

16 years old
                  5'5"
                  SW: 170
                  CW: 162
                  GW: 140

Primal since 8/12/12.

Comment

Coconut and almond flour, people. Seriously -- awesome flavor, fun textures, no one will complain. And I'm a damn picky eater.
                    The Sedition of Sisyphus: Go Find Another Rock

Griff's Cholesterol Primer

Comment

Originally posted by golangrok View Post
                      Doubtful.

Originally posted by ciavyn View Post
                      Coconut and almond flour, people. Seriously -- awesome flavor, fun textures, no one will complain. And I'm a damn picky eater.
                      Agreed 10000%. I have no need for anything else! (And, honestly, coconut flour alone works just fine!)

Comment

Mark doesn't think eating buckwheat is at all necessary, and not primal.

My mom used to cook up buckwheat as a side dish when I was a kid. Polish thing...yummy stuff with butter, salt and pepper.

I don't agree with baking with almond flour: massive calorie bomb, and holy rancid O6 levels, Batman.

Having said that, I did have a homemade almond flour muffin from the Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook, and it was AWESOME. It's not something I would eat on a regular basis for the aforementioned reasons. Once you go primal/paleo for long enough, you do not crave the same foods you used to, and therefore do not need replacements.

HOWEVER...I need an egg/nut/dairy free cake for my 30th birthday
                        A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
                          Hmmm. That is tricky. My go-to primal dessert is flourless chocolate cake, but that has eggs AND butter. I've made banana bread a few times based off the recipe ChocoTaco posted several months ago. I did use an egg in it, but I think it might turn out okay without it.

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
                            It's not a cake, PaleOMG recently posted this recipe that's pretty damn close (if you use a flax or chia + water mixture to replace the eggs): Moist Chocolate Zucchini Bread (nut free) | PaleOMG - Paleo Recipe

Comment

Originally posted by golangrok View Post
                              No.

But I eat soba once or twice a week. Hey, I live in Japan! It's actually a seed, not a grain. It contains some good stuff (protein,magnesium), and some, er, not so good stuff. Not really primal, but an occasional treat as part of my 20%, I can live with that. It's not one for the super low-carbers though!
                              My Journal: Englishman In Oz, Skinny to Muscle in a Primal Way

Comment

Working...
                              X