Salad dressings besides vinaigrette and evoo based ones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salad dressings besides vinaigrette and evoo based ones

Ive made dill vinaigrette, it was decent. Ive also made the creamy ranch dressing, it was pretty good.

I dont like evoo and Im not crazy about vinaigrettes.

Can someone give me some flavored mayo ideas/recipes or creamy dressing recipes.

Anyone have a good ceaser dressing recipe that isint too complicated to make?

Something like a honey mustard would be great to.

I use this alot in the cooler months:
    Creamy Maple-Mustard Dressing

Adapted from the Tupelo Honey Cafe

Yield: 2 cups

1 1/2 c good quality mayonnaise

1/4 c pure maple syrup

2 T cider vinegar

2 T Dijon mustard

2 T whole-grain mustard

1/4 tsp sea salt

1/4 tsp freshly-ground black pepper

1. Combine all the ingredients with a whisk in a large bowl. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Store refrigerated for up to 7 days.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I hear you! Dislike evoo.

I like home made mayo made with light olive oil. No gross taste!

Almond butter diluted with hot water and lemon juice if it works for you (better with PB though)

If you haven't tried it, guacamole actually dresses the salads pretty cool. I simply mash avocado with some garlic, cilantro and onion and lime juice.

If you like sesame taste, sesame with red pepper flakes and a touch of grated ginger (I keep fresh ginger frozen) and garlic is great.
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Tzatziki is pretty damn awesome on a salad, as is a garlic dill.

Tzatziki
        16 oz full fat yogurt
        juice of 1 lime
        1 medium cuke, grated fine
        4 (or more) cloves of garlic, minced

Stir to combine.

Dill garlic
        8 oz yogurt
        juice 1/2 lime
        2-5 garlic cloves
        dill to taste

Stir to combine.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

Yeah-
          I love the homemade mayo!

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I usually make something with sour cream. You can substitute it for mayo in many recipes. I usually use this ranch recipe adjusting to taste:
            sour cream
            dried chives
            dried parsley
            dried dill weed
            garlic powder
            onion powder
            salt
            ground black pepper

You can add a bit of a different oil that has less of a flavor, although you wouldn't much taste the olive oil with all the seasoning. Or thin with a bit of water to your preferred consistency. Often, if it's grilled meat on a salad I'll just use sour cream and salsa or hot sauce.
            Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

I recently concocted a dill sauce that could easily be used or diluted to make dressing.

1 can coconut cream (just the hard white part when you refrigerate a can of coconut milk)
              a good handful of fresh dill, chopped (or a tablespoon or so of the dried stuff)
              1 tbsp garlic powder
              1 tbsp white vinegar
              dash of salt

Mix it all up! I use it as a veggie dip, but if you want to you can dilute it with water, milk, or coconut water so it's pour-able and more like a salad dressing. I'm also sure you can use whatever herbs you want, and add/remove seasonings as you see fit. The base is just the vinegar and coconut cream... do what you want with that and the options are pretty much endless!

PS: If you like honey mustard, you can make it easily... with honey and mustard (go figure!). Just put equal parts raw honey and mustard (REAL super-seedy brown mustard... not the stupid yellow stuff) in a bowl and whisk to combine. Play with the ratios of honey to mustard - some people like it sweeter, some like it more mustard-y.
              >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
              >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
              >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

I don't do dairy at all, so if I am in the mood for something creamy, I rely on one of three things: cashews, sesame seeds, or avocado.

Choose one of:
                -50 grams cashews, 1/4 cup sesame seeds, or 1 avocado

Toss in your blender, and mix with:
                -a few splashes of coconut vinegar
                -some freshly squeezed lemon juice
                -salt
                -freshly ground pepper
                -herbs of your choice (basil or dill work really well)
                -enough water to get it to the thickness you like

Blend until creamy. Makes plenty for two or three salads.

Comment

Pesto! Use any herb/nut combination you prefer - love the fresh herbed taste.

Comment

I often just glop a bunch of honey/dijon mustard on my salad and have at it. Fresh salsa works awesome too. Ok, but here's a recipe for a dressing:

1 small red bell pepper
                    10 sundried tomatoes, soaked 30 mins
                    blend in blender

Yummy!
                    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
                    Pre-preg weight: 130
                    Current: 145 (eek!)
                    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
                    Started Primal in May '12.
                    My Blog
                    Join the Revolution!

Comment

Mix sour cream half-and-half with salsa.

Comment

Pesto! Use any herb/nut combination you prefer - love the fresh herbed taste.
                        I am newly addicted to basil, and there are still a lot in the yard! This year was awesome for basil! STill, we are not in a hot climate, so a lot of basil, basically means a few leaves every day, definetly not 2 packed cups full. So, I am looking for good pesto recipes/ideas with basil mixed with other greens.

I am going to try spinach with a bit of basil leaves and walnuts (the cheapest raw organic option). Does anyone know if non-organic sunflower seeds are Okay? Are sunflowers being sprayed badly? I love sunflower flavor and would love pesto based on that.

Also, I love Parmesan, but I can't get raw Parmesan, just organic. I can get raw organic cheddar. Is cheddar Okay, or just go without cheese?
                        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Hey!

I'm a sucker for Tahini-based dressings. They are really thick and creamy. You can go the herbal/tangy route, or you can add a little sweetener for more of a honey-mustard type dressing. You can generally find it in the health food section, although I always buy it at my local middle eastern grocery for higher quality and better price.

This is how you do it:

2 tbsp tahini, well stirred
                          touch of lemon or vinegar
                          1/4 cup water
                          any herbs you love, such as itallian seasoning
                          Salt

Begin by stirring the lemon into the tahini, drop by drop. After vigorous stirring and slow liquid addition, your tahini will go from being an oily liquid, to a brown paste, to finally a white creamy liquid. Add water until dressing has reached desired consistency. If you go too far, you can always add more tahini but make sure you switch arms or have a blender at that point- don't get a cramp! Once texture is perfect, adjust salt, lemon, and desired herbs and spices to taste.
                          Last edited by Opera; 08-24-2012, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X