Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I bought my first whole chicken... What do I do with it?! :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken spoils more quickly on the bone. I learned this the hard way. I personally devour the legs first, and the wings. I cut the breast meat off and if it's a fair amount, I freeze it, even if it's just for a few days. The carcass then gets picked for chicken salad, and the carcass in the freezer to make soup with when I have time.

I tend to use breast meat in stews and curries, so freezing it is the way to go for me. I just cooked up the last 9 lb chicken tonight, so I will get a number of meals. Mmmmmmmm, farm fresh monster sized chicken!
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

We just put a few cloves of garlic and a lemon, quartered, inside the chicken, salt the heck out of it, and put in the oven on a cast iron skillet at about 375 until it's done. Save all the bones for the stock, which is really simple: put the bones into a stock pot (ours is about 8" diameter), add a clove of garlic, maybe half an onion and a carrot and/or celery stalk, cover the bones so they're underwater by about an inch, bring to a boil, then simmer gently for about 4 hours. Your house will smell great...oh, and before you cook it, make sure it's dead first, and all the feathers off :-)

Comment

Throw it at passing vegetarians.

Comment

Working...
        X