Need a new way to cook liver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new way to cook liver

I picked up about a pound of chicken livers at the store today and am just wondering if anyone out there has a good recipe. I've had them fried, and of course with onion, but want to branch out. Any ideas?

I used to just cook all the organs that came with the whole chicken at the same time. Just threw some melted butter, paprika, salt, pepper, maybe some parsley and cook at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Was a nice little snack while I waited for the rest of the chicken to finish cooking.

Comment

I always go the short/easy road. Boil them with whatever seasonings I like and eat them like a soup.

Comment

My Easy Shiksa's Version of Chopped Chicken Liver

Sweet vermouth - not a lot, maybe 1/4-1/2 cup
        ch. livers
        onions to taste
        s&p to taste

Saute everything 'til livers are cooked through and vermouth is pretty much gone. Let cool. Mash with fork, or if you want it really creamy, put in food processor.

Chill in fridge. Spread on an innocuous tasting veggie (celery, fennel, baby bok choy).
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Joanie, that sound delicious. I'll give it a try. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Comment

hows about peri peri chicken livers?

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
              My Easy Shiksa's Version of Chopped Chicken Liver

Sweet vermouth - not a lot, maybe 1/4-1/2 cup
              ch. livers
              onions to taste
              s&p to taste

Saute everything 'til livers are cooked through and vermouth is pretty much gone. Let cool. Mash with fork, or if you want it really creamy, put in food processor.

Chill in fridge. Spread on an innocuous tasting veggie (celery, fennel, baby bok choy).
              The title of your recipe made me laugh out loud. Awesome! And thanks for the recipe. I've always bought my chopped liver in the past. Not anymore.
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d61289-12.html

Comment

I hope that works out for you. I usually make twice as much as I need because I'm always going to eat a portion of it (at least) while it's still warm and unmashed.
                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Cut bacon strips in half and wrap around chicken liver, either bake or sauté until bacon looks cooked..real tasty.

Comment

Organic Chicken Livers with Balsamic Glaze.Saute some onions in butter then add chicken livers and saute until your desired doneness. Remove the onions and liver from the pan. Add a good splash of balsamic vinegar to the pan and more butter to taste... reduce this sauce a bit to thicken. Return onions and liver to pan, toss, heat through and enjoy! Yum! (photo below without onions)
                    chicken livers.jpg
                    Last edited by steffturner; 08-11-2012, 10:23 AM.
                    sigpic
                    Age: 44, 5' 2", SW: 128 lbs, CW: 118 lbs, Primal since April 2011

“Like religion, politics, and family planning, cereal is not a topic to be brought up in public. It's too controversial.“
                    ~Erma Bombeck

Comment

I like both of these recipes:
                      Chopped Liver Recipe : Ina Garten : Recipes : Food Network
                      Bourbon Chicken Liver Pâté Recipe at Epicurious.com

I really like the method used in the second recipe of covering the top of the pate with clarified butter to preserve it for up to 2 weeks.

Comment

Dredge them in a mixture of coconut flour, herbs and spices, and parm. Fry until golden brown in your favorite oil. Even my husband, who generally hates liver, will eat that recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by steffturner View Post
                          Organic Chicken Livers with Balsamic Glaze.Saute some onions in butter then add chicken livers and saute until your desired doneness. Remove the onions and liver from the pan. Add a good splash of balsamic vinegar to the pan and more butter to taste... reduce this sauce a bit to thicken. Return onions and liver to pan, toss, heat through and enjoy! Yum!
                          Thanks, I'm going to try this.

Comment

I like them best cut in to small cubes, coated in a mixture of curry spices (curry powder, turmeric, cumin, garam masala) with a touch of coconut flour then fried until crispy is butter. I top them with lemon juice, green onions, and cilantro and eat them with jicama slices.
                            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
                              Cut bacon strips in half and wrap around chicken liver, either bake or sauté until bacon looks cooked..real tasty.
                              I tried this one...ridiculously good!

Comment

Working...
                              X