what is a good brand of rum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is a good brand of rum?

I'm not a drinker but I'd like to get some rum to try in some recipes and especially rum raisin ice cream. But I don't know what kind to get. I'd like just straight up no flavorings added rum.

I use Morgans spiced rum to make my own vanilla exstract...ummm and the ocasional strawberry daquiri
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I like Flor de Cana grand reserve. It sips really nicely, neat. It is not outrageously pricey either.
      Male, 32y, 6'0" tall
      SW 306lbs (6/1/12)
      CW 244lbs (1/17/13)

BP down from 120/80 to 110/74

Comment

If you are in Newfoundland, you might see if you can get your hands on a bottle of Screech. It might entail getting someone else's hands off the bottle first.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
          I'm not a drinker but I'd like to get some rum to try in some recipes and especially rum raisin ice cream. But I don't know what kind to get. I'd like just straight up no flavorings added rum.
          I'm a huge fan of Ron Zacapa 23 year Solera Reserve. It's a blend of rums up to 23 years. It's from Guatemala and it's delicious. Don't waste it in recipes and stuff though. This is the "sippin' whisky" of rums.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
            For ice cream, and to generally get a good deep rummy flavor in recipes...
            IMO your best bet would be a DARK rum such as Gosling's Black Seal.
            It's a black rum that is not spiced.
            It makes a beautiful Dark'n Stormy.

The Flor de Cana GR is good... but I wouldn't buy that just to cook with!
            And no fabulous sippin' stuff for recipes either.
            (Also, I wouldn't use Capt Morgans for anything... except maybe pawning off on 'social friends' who like to 'drink' more than they like to really 'enjoy the drink'... to keep their paws off my good stuff.)

That's my 2c.
            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
            ~Friedrich Nietzsche
            And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

i'm partial to 10 Cane.

Comment

Well aside from the capt morgans all the other rums mentioned are not to be found within 1,000 miles of me. I jut need a regular brand of rum that is of better quality than capt morgans.

Comment

It is not outrageously pricey either

Comment

Pyrat. Pretty easy to find. Cheap. And pretty decent

Comment

Ron Rio is alright for drink mixing and pretty cheap.
                      Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

I love the kracken

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                          I'm a huge fan of Ron Zacapa 23 year Solera Reserve. It's a blend of rums up to 23 years. It's from Guatemala and it's delicious. Don't waste it in recipes and stuff though. This is the "sippin' whisky" of rums.
                          If you're looking for the sippin' whisky of rums, you should probably just go with sippin whisky. You may be a hillbilly, Rich and not even know it...

Seriously - I've never really got into rum, but think I'd like to give it a go sometime. I just hate the idea of ordering something like Captain Morgan, since the ads make it seem like a kid's drink.

Comment

If you can find Sailor Jerry, I love that rum. And it is more bang for your buck, as well.
                            ~All luck is earned in the end.~

Comment

Originally posted by nopie View Post
                              I love the kracken
                              Where spiced rums are concerned I like Kracken as well.. As does my husband.
                              Last time he was out and we stopped to get a bottle he got a 1.75liter!
                              And he is seriously not a drinker.
                              That bottle is going to last him forever. LOL

I think with the spice notes Kracken would make a beautiful Rum Raisin icecream...
                              OP wanted non-flavored though, and I included 'spiced' with 'flavored'... so I suggested the Goslings.
                              You should give it a try if you like the really dark rums.
                              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                              X