Vitamix - which one?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamix - which one?

I'm considering getting a vitamix. I have burned up too many blenders in my life. I've heard the vitamix can handle just about anything. Does it matter which vitamix you get if you want to use it on things more difficult to process than soft fruits and vegetables? I'm thinking of things like:

- grinding dried beef for pemmican (my regular blender handled it well, but had some worry)
    - grinding nuts for nut butters
    - making my own coconut butter (apparently this requires 15 minutes of processing.)
    - grinding other dehydrated, hard items, such as dried sweet potatoes, into powder

They have an entry-level machine. The only difference I can see on the site is what kinds of buttons and accessories it comes with. The accessories aren't important to me. Is the machine as durable and strong as the other models?
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

The vitamix needs liquid to blend. It heats up and cooks food if left on for too long(which isn't that long at all). It's a great blender that can blend just about anything to a smooth consistancy - but it can't be too dry, it must have enough liquid to keep it moving. Not ideal for nut butters or grinding dry meats.

Comment

I don't have anything to add except I'm jealous you're getting a Vitamix

Comment

I've ground nut butters, made flour, and even ground up bones in a blendtec. I think it's 4 years old now and is still going strong. It does heat stuff up slightly the longer it's in there though.

Comment

Is the blendec a food processor or a blender? I was thinking since I heard such good things about vitamix and have found that among our appliances, only our crappy blender does anything close to a decent job (it was the only thing that could grind up my dried beef), that the vitamix would probably work well. I thought I might purchase my own blender because I get sideways glances when I try to make my boyfriend's blender do things it wasn't made for.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I'm jealous you're getting a Vitamix

Comment

I have the 5200 and it's awesome. If I were to buy one today, I'd get the new pro version from Williams Sonoma because it looks better, and because the switches are laid out in a more user friendly fashion. I also went through blender after blender until I got my vitamix, and I have to say, it's a sturdy and powerful little machine! The one reason I chose vitamix over blendtec is that I read somewhere that blendtec has a counter that keeps track of the number of uses, and buried somewhere in their warranty is a limit on the number of uses. Whereas the Vitamix warranty is just a straight number of years. But I'm sure you'd be thrilled with either blender.

Comment

Oh, and I would suggest getting the smaller carafe (32 oz) as well as the larger one that comes with it. Unless you have a really high sink faucet, it can be tough to clean the bigger carafe. Plus, the smaller carafe is fantastic for making salad dressings and sauces.

Comment

I've had my vitamix for 10+ years and it is still going strong. I make my nut butters all the time in it and have no problem. there is a dry blade carafe you can use for the non-wet stuff.

Comment

I am really jealous you are getting vitamix . I wish i would get one day but if to know more about it and get help which to choose you can read in this link vita mixer
                    I hope this may help you to choose.

Comment

I went for the Blendtec. I haven't used it much yet, so I won't be of much help, but it is very powerful. I also bought a special jar that you use for things like nut butters etc.
                      Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
                      Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
                      Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Comment

Originally posted by LoydAviles View Post
                        I'm jealous you're getting a Vitamix
                        +1

Oh the things I would do : )

Good luck with the purchase and definitely post some recipes you make with it!

Comment

I have had a vitamix for over 20 years and love it. I have replaced the blender as the bearing went out and I didn't want to learn how to change it. Mine came with a dry canister also that has a blade for grinding anything from nuts to grains. I think you can do almost anything in a vitamix!

Comment

Originally posted by Lily Marie View Post
                            The vitamix needs liquid to blend. It heats up and cooks food if left on for too long(which isn't that long at all). It's a great blender that can blend just about anything to a smooth consistancy - but it can't be too dry, it must have enough liquid to keep it moving. Not ideal for nut butters or grinding dry meats.
                            I've never had a problem. VitaMix can be used for anything. Use the plunger to help with butters and stuff, to keep it moving. Even liquids will be cooked if you leave the VitaMix on too long. You can use it for making soup.

The other option is to get the dry blade attachment. I have that too. Regular blender, dry blade blender, plunger. All you need and then some.

Comment

For Christmas last year, Santa brought me a Vitamix 750 (the professional one). I use it nearly every day, and have made just about anything you can think in it without a problem. For some of the thicker stuff I turn it off, take off the lid, and scrape it down, but I think you have to do that in any blender.

Plus, it has a cleaning setting. Fill it half full with water and put in a drop of liquid dish detergent, then let the cleaning cycle do its bit--it takes about 3 minutes. Then just rinse and let air dry.

Comment

Working...
                              X