Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Cow Tongue Experience

Hello all

I've recently been trying to experiment with some offal and thought I would post about my first tongue attempt. I have done heart before (used it in a stew) and then went right to liver. That was a major fail as it made me gag. So I decided to try tongue as it's a bit closer to regular cuts.

What I did:

1) Let tongue thaw and then rinse it off.
    2) Put it in the slow cooker with a few bay leaves and salt. I was going to add peppercorns too but I didn't have any.
    3) Then I filled the slow cooker with water so the tongue was completely covered.
    4) I set it for 10 hours overnight. It ended up being in there a few hours extra on the "Warm" setting.
    5) I took out the tongue in the morning and let it cool on a cookie sheet. Then I peeled off the skin layer and removed some of the weird squishy chunks that didn't look appetizing. Next I shredded it with two forks. I tasted a bit of the meat at this point and it was pretty plain, which was to be expected.
    6) While this was going on, I was cooking 2 onions and some garlic in a large pan. After I was done shredding the meat, I threw it in with the onions and garlic, added a GENEROUS amount of a spice rub that I use for grilled meat, salt, and some worcestershire sauce. I let it cook on a very low heat like this for about an hour so the flavours would set.

I just ate a big plate of the shredded tongue and it was amazing! For anyone who hasn't tried it yet should. I'm no master chef so the easy prep was a bonus

I grew up eating that and heart. My mom fixed regularly. I only recently added it back to my diet...to the angst of my wife. My mom would cook them and put the whole thing in the frig. We'd cut off what we wanted and ate as a snack.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Loved it as a kid. Used to get it sliced from the deli. The first time I saw a whole tongue, I was about 13 and totally freaked because it looked like... a tongue. ha. I should see if it's available around here.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

this past month we had cow, lamb and veal tongue.

i don't have a slow-cooker, but do a long-slow braise.

tasty stuff, super cheap and a good clean protein source.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Absolutely adore tongue, so much meat for so little money, plus nobody ever wants to share it. Win win!
          Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Comment

The cooking liquid will have been full of nutrients. Don't waste it
            Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Congratulations on your terrific results! How hard was it to peel? I feel like that is the thing that is holding me back from trying tongue.

Comment

Most of it peels easily. The thin white stuff doesn't but you can simply eat since it has no texture and no flavor. It is collagen.
                Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

I just tried pork tongue yesterday, but I think my favorite would definitely be cow tongue! The first time I made it, I just boiled it and then cut it up like a roast. It was pretty flavorful on it's own. But I think your recipe would make it taste 10000 times better!

Comment

Originally posted by MaryV View Post
                    Congratulations on your terrific results! How hard was it to peel? I feel like that is the thing that is holding me back from trying tongue.
                    It was very easy to peel! The only problem was I was too impatient to let it cool. It singed my fingers a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by peril View Post
                      The cooking liquid will have been full of nutrients. Don't waste it
                      I ended up tossing the liquid. I debated for a little while whether I should keep it or not. I didn't scrub the tongue before I cooked it that well. It just seemed like it wouldn't be good to use the broth. Next time I'll keep it.

Comment

OK, you've inspired me! I dug out the beef tongue thats been sitting at the bottom of the freezer for probably too long now, and let it thaw out over night. This morning I rinsed it off, and popped it into the slow cooker while I'm at work.

I'm very keen to see how it turns out. My husband looked a little concerned when I pulled it out of the freezer so he may require a little convincing tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzielou View Post
                          OK, you've inspired me! I dug out the beef tongue thats been sitting at the bottom of the freezer for probably too long now, and let it thaw out over night. This morning I rinsed it off, and popped it into the slow cooker while I'm at work.

I'm very keen to see how it turns out. My husband looked a little concerned when I pulled it out of the freezer so he may require a little convincing tonight!
                          Awesome, let us know how it turns out

Comment

Just cut the taste buds off before serving it.
                            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

My first cow tongue experience? It was a moonless summer night and the crickets were chirping madly as I slipped around the corner of the barn near the hay-field. I was going to meet Katie Higgins and was breathless with anticipation. I heard a rustle, felt a warm figure loom up beside me in the darkness, turned expectantly to kiss her and--

Scarred for life, I tell you.

But I guess I'll have to give it a[nother] try now I know how to braise & peel it...thanks for the thread!
                              6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
                              ― Søren Kierkegaard

Comment

Working...
                              X