Kimchee- What do I do with it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kimchee- What do I do with it?

I bought some kimchee from the farmer's market. I like it, but have no idea what to do with it. Right now, I just have a bite or two and put it away...what does it go good with?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

times that i've had it, i just eat it. but, i could easily see it going well as an addition to a salad, or along some some good pork or sausage.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Goes great with any meats, the sharpness cuts the fat. I made a big batch of short ribs for lunch through the week a while back, and had kim chi with that.

You could also stir some into scrambled eggs, or serve alongside eggs.

Comment

Kimchi cauliflower fried rice. Or just regular kimchi fried rice. Divine
        My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Kimchi rice rocks.

I like it with beef (sliced or ground) cooked with some onions, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and gluten-free tamari. I put that on a bit of rice and add a whole lot of kimchi because it's one of my absolute most favourite foods ever. It's a lazy Korean-ish go-to meal for me.

I buy mine from an elderly Korean man at the farmers market here, and he's always pleased and amused when my partner and I try out our limited Korean to say hello and thank you. I have to put the jar in my fridge when I get home though--I learned the hard way that otherwise it will keep fermenting and can leak out of the jar and flood my pantry shelf with kimchi juice.
          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Are you guys ever concerned with the amount of msg they put in it?
            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
              Are you guys ever concerned with the amount of msg they put in it?
              Not buying it from the man at the local market, no. He uses a traditional recipe and doesn't add MSG.
              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                I bought some kimchee from the farmer's market. I like it, but have no idea what to do with it. Right now, I just have a bite or two and put it away...what does it go good with?
                Take kimchi, sliced bananas, sliced parboiled sweet potatoes and fresh chopped garlic and ginger root. Add dried red chilies if you like heat. Fry it in virgin coconut oil. Dress with tamari and a little toasted sesame oil. Trust me.
                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Dammit Choco, I'm out of bananas.

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                    Sing it!

Comment

I think of it as spicy sauerkraut, and eat it as a side dish with meat.

Comment

Luckily pretty much every grocery and convenience store in the world sells them for 25 cents or less each
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                          Luckily pretty much every grocery and convenience store in the world sells them for 25 cents or less each
                          Yes, I remedied the situation this afternoon when I went to pick up my pants from the tailor. I think I know what I am going to try for lunch tomorrow.

We go through 3-6 bananas per day around here because there are three adults who all like them. It's not to the level that certain internet fruitarian gurus might consume, but I'm sure it's enough to give the average VLC fruitphobe nightmares. They run out fast--I bought two large bunches and expect I'll have to get more by Monday.

Owly's Journal

Comment

Kimchi soup(omit the tofu),Spicy Kimchi Stew (Kimchichigae) - Recipe for Korean Kimchichigae
                            "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                            "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                            "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

We go through 3-6 bananas per day around here because there are three adults who all like them. It's not to the level that certain internet fruitarian gurus might consume, but I'm sure it's enough to give the average VLC fruitphobe nightmares. They run out fast--I bought two large bunches and expect I'll have to get more by Monday.
                              Wow, that's a lot of daily bananas for anyone "normal"(j/k) that isn't vegan or fruitarian or living in the tropics. You, my friend, have a (mild)banana habit, lol. A lot of the time, I buy my naners discounted & put them directly in the freezer @ home. Frozen bananas, even unadorned w/out flaked coconut or other delights, I've come to really appreciate the sweet savory simplicity of just a 1/2 banana all by itself. I put these mildly darkened nanaers in the freezer peel & all, got a bunch of 'em in there in the door. I just got out of the habit of eating them @ room temp & yellow lately...maybe it's a summer thing. My kimchi is almost done, it's been 9 days on the fridge, 4.5 more to go, yummm....
                              "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                              "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                              "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X