No announcement yet.

Kimchee- What do I do with it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol! That's only 1-2 per day. Not *that* crazy for active people. I love my fruit, what can I say? I had a lot of stomach problems as a kid, and bananas and scrambled eggs were the only things I would eat and keep down for a while, and both those things are still staples in my diet.

I do the same thing when I find the bruised/old ones on the clearance shelf. The frozen ones are also great for smoothies, making bananacado pudding, or (shhhhhh!) baking. I peel mine and freeze them on a sheet and then put them in a big freezer bag. Freezing them first stops them from sticking together.

Anyhow, this thread made me cook up some rice bowls with Korean-style beef, some lightly-cooked spinach with sesame oil and rice vinegar, garlic scapes from the CSA, and a healthy dose of kimchi. I had to be quick, though. The new jar I opened started to bubble over and was threatening to become a kimchi volcano all over the kitchen counter.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Damn I love me some Korean food! I peeled garlic for over 90 minutes last night, making a new, bigger batch
      "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
      "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
      "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

When I went to Korea a few years ago, I think I was the only person in our group that gained weight eating Korean food all the time (but I was pretty skinny at the time, so it didn't hurt). I love love love it. But then, I eat my way through every country I visit.
        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Can eat it with rice rolled in some nori (seaweed).

Kimchi stew with tuna or pork is great. Stir fry some pork, add kimchi and boil with a little water or stir fry some well fermented (sour) kimchi with sesame oil, add a can of tuna and boil with some water. Your house will *stink* and your neighbors will probably think something died in your house. But kimchi stew is so good! Em, better with some rice though.

Tuna and Kimchi fried rice is a Korean fast-food classic. Add a plain omelette on top for kimchi "omu rice."

As stated by others, also good as a condiment with meats and greasy food.
          Last edited by Fiji; 07-19-2012, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Kimchi and sardines - breakfast of champions!

Comment

Thanks for the ideas.

I don't think my kimchee has MSG. This guy makes pickles and stuff by fermentation, but I'll ask.

The bananas, and sweetpotatoes and kimchee sounds bad enough that is probably completely addictive and delish and hits sweet/sour/savory. Looking forward to trying that!

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                When I went to Korea a few years ago, I think I was the only person in our group that gained weight eating Korean food all the time (but I was pretty skinny at the time, so it didn't hurt). I love love love it. But then, I eat my way through every country I visit.
                Me too. I'm a food tourist 1st, sites & culture after I've eaten an early morning, local breakfast in some alley. I actually gain weight, some, in Thailand from the gorging, lol. I went/spent some time in Korea a few times, but it was a Korean neighbor from about 20 yrs ago who taught me how to make real kimchi, by burying it in the back yard in an airtight crock.

Comment

Our most recent major overseas trip was to India in 2010, and I think I was saved by all the walking, both with my backpack when we were travelling and then walking through archaeological sites and other historic stuff. Oh, and some hiking in the western Himalaya region.

Last year, my international trips were to Tulum and Merida (Mexico) and NYC. In Mexico I spent so much time in the water and exploring Mayan ruins that I burned off pretty much everything I ate, and then in NY I wasn't really doing the food tourist thing since the foods I think of as classically New York are off-limits for a celiac, although my friend I visited in NJ took me to a classic NJ Italian restaurant that served gluten-free options.

I think we need a food tourism thread!

Owly's Journal

Comment

I love to eat it with shrimp, cucumbers, onion and tomatoes. Toss is all together, chill it then enjoy. It's like a "poke" bowl but instead of raw tuna you have cooked shrimp. When I crave something spicy this is my go to dish.

Comment

Kimchee is excellent when mixed with ground beef and egg to create a meatloaf or burger patties, just drizzle dabs of sriracha on top to finish and for burgers, garnish with a bit of cilantro and thinly sliced cucumber!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
                        Kimchee is excellent when mixed with ground beef and egg to create a meatloaf or burger patties, just drizzle dabs of sriracha on top to finish and for burgers, garnish with a bit of cilantro and thinly sliced cucumber!

Will try the kimchi meatloaf, thanks. My 1st batches of 2 kimchis ought to be ready any day now. Ok, maybe 4-5 days, am really antsy to dive in.... Ha!

Comment

A way a only a last a liked a lengthy the ... riverrun, previous Eve and Adam's .

Comment

Working...
                          X