All hail the humble sausage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All hail the humble sausage

Not a recipe as such, but what is it about these marvellous creations that really gets the juices flowing? There is nothing better in my eyes than a pan full of them sizzling away.

My butcher makes me up batches of pure pork sozzies and I get him to add a bit of chilli to them also but would love some other suggestions to get him to make up for me?
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

They already sound perfect to me. lol. If anything, maybe a touch of sage would add a nice bit of flavor.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

Does your butcher make them wheat and gluten free? I am currently eating Paul Rankin's outdoor bred pork sausages which are gluten free and they are so good.

Comment

Just tried the Gressingham duck sausages at the weekend - wheat and gluten free - duck, bramley apple, pork belly, garlic, herbs and tapioca starch - they were seriously good!

Comment

Originally posted by Lukey View Post
          Does your butcher make them wheat and gluten free? I am currently eating Paul Rankin's outdoor bred pork sausages which are gluten free and they are so good.
          The only thing they contain is some chilli, the casing and pure pork. No filler!
          Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Comment

Which butchers do you go to? just wondering if mine might do the same.

Comment

duck, bramley apple, pork belly, garlic, herbs
              yumm!!!

you can find sausage recipes online for ideas. this site gave me some ideas, even if it isnt very graphical
              Homemade Sausage Making Recipes from TheSpicySausage.com
              this one has some good flavours to use as ideas
              Sausage Recipes - How to Make Sausage | Hunter Angler Gardener Cook
              you can mix your meats as well so if you see a decent flavour combo for say vension, you could do it with beef. it may just taste subtly different from the different meat.

pork and fennel are nice

Comment

I'd like to try making my own, and possibly doing cured charcuterie like salume. Anyone have experience with either? For sausage, sounds like you'd just need meat, casings, and seasoning, and a solid grinder. There was one at Gander Mountain I was considering, but suggestions are welcome...

Comment

yes you need meat, casings, seasonings and a mincer for sausages. it also helps to have a method of getting the meat into the casings. i have a sausage stuffer attachment which goes on the end of my mincer. i think you can get manual ones too. i have some sausages airdrying right now to try for salami so i am mid experiment. just google some recipes.

Comment

Lamb, mint and onions makes a good sausage.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Boudin - sausage or balls - Primal and more Primal

So, I've been living in this odd place called New Orleans for about a year and a half. Part sophisticated city, part land that time forgot. And one of the yummy things here is called Boudin. Also sometimes spelled Boudain. I first had boudin balls at an "Irish" bar on Magazine St. that serves a fantastic, perfect maritini in a crappy trendy glass with no stem.

I found a recipe and now know why it's so delish: pork and liver. Omg, no wonder it's addictive.

Here's the recipe I found and I'll follow it with the changes I made and some observations.

Source: Boudin recipe, pork and rice Cajun sausage | Homesick Texan

Boudin

Ingredients:
                      2 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 1-inch pieces
                      1 stalk of celery, diced
                      1 medium yellow onion, chopped
                      4 cloves garlic, minced
                      1 bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, chopped
                      1/2 pound chicken livers
                      2 cups cooked rice
                      2 jalapeņos, seeds and stems removed, chopped
                      1 teaspoon dried thyme
                      1 teaspoon dried oregano
                      1 teaspoon paprika
                      2 green onions, chopped (green part only)
                      1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
                      Salt, black pepper and cayenne to taste

Method:
                      Place the pork shoulder, celery, onion, garlic and bell pepper into a large pot. Cover with 2 inches of water, bring to a boil and then turn down the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour. After an hour, add the chicken liver to the pot and continue to cook for 45 more minutes or until the pork is tender.

Strain the meat and vegetables, reserving the liquid. Finely dice the meat and vegetables with a knife, in a food processor or in a meat grinder set for a coarse grind. Once diced, place meat and vegetables in a bowl.

Add to the bowl the cooked rice, jalapeņos, thyme, oregano, paprika, green onions and parsley. Stir in 1 cup of the reserved cooking liquid and combine until the filling is moist and slightly sticky. If it appears too dry, add more of the reserved liquid. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt, pepper and cayenne.

To make boudin sausage, stuff into casing (see below for instructions) and then poach in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Alternatively, you can either serve the filling as a dressing, or you can roll it into walnut-sized balls, dip into finely crushed crackers and fry in 350 degree oil for 2 minutes or until brown to make boudin balls.

Yield: about 12 sausages or 5 cups of filling

Note: If you have any concerns about cooking the chicken livers in the pork pot, by all means you can cook the livers separately, and then mix them with the cooked pork and other pot vegetables when you dice them or run them through the food processor.
                      Since I don't have a sausage stuffer, I made boudin balls. I made one batch with a lot less rice than in the recipe, and one batch with no rice. I wish I could report back that no rice came out as good, but alas, I had to make them patties to hold up. Maybe adding egg would help, but the recipe as is needs some rice.

Other changes I made were: I don't like celery, so I substituted bok choy. I also am not a fan of dried oregano, so I subbed dried basil.

Anyway, either with white rice or without, they are Primal. Without rice, they are super Primal and delicious. But I guess without rice, they should be made into sausage so they hold up.

I hope you enjoy. Pork + chicken liver is a taste sensation that is awesome. Emeril and some other recipes use pork liver, but since I know I like chicken liver, I started here.
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Forgot to add.... I did not roll the boudin balls in bread crumbs.
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

these look yummy! i can never find pork liver in the shops so chicken liver is much easier to get for us anyways. a sausage stuffer is just a funnel with something to push the sausage meat out in a tube. the trick is getting the tube of meat so slide evenly into the casings. could you make these like dolmas or wrap them in something like cabbage leaves instead to hold their shape?

Comment

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                            these look yummy! i can never find pork liver in the shops so chicken liver is much easier to get for us anyways. a sausage stuffer is just a funnel with something to push the sausage meat out in a tube. the trick is getting the tube of meat so slide evenly into the casings. could you make these like dolmas or wrap them in something like cabbage leaves instead to hold their shape?
                            Cabbage leaves are a really good idea here. Mild enough to not overpower the original flavor. Thanks!

B*tch-lite

Comment

Working...
                            X