who here bbqs ? smoker talk only

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who here bbqs ? smoker talk only

what have ya cooked lately? what are you planning soon?

equipment? etc ...

i finally got a Weber WSM after lookin for a good deal for a while today .. ive made ribs, pulled pork, brisket, etc before off a regular grill long cooked indirect ... excited to have a truely decent piece of smoking equipment

will probably do up a pork butt this weekend, or some ribs, or chicken, who knows. ..

anyways, lets talk it up!
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

You need to try ABT. Google ABT and barbecue. They are great - I made 40 of them yesterday.

Comment

I'm a big smoker. I've got two metal pots with a grill sandwiched in between. One of the pots has a 3 inch hole drilled in it. I can use a third pot as a firebox to make it a cold-smoker for bacon. I set this on top of my table-top propane stove. I love making honey and jalapeno bacon, pork ribs, smoked pork loin, Canadian bacon, brisket, jerky, smoked duck, chicken, pastrami, and recently I've been working on making some decent beef ribs.

Comment

I smoke it all. Ribs, pork butt, chicken, brisket, salmon.
        I like this website for some of the recipes.
        BBQ Ribs Recipes, Barbecue Recipes, Grilling Recipes, Baby Back Ribs, Barbecue Spare Ribs, Outdoor Cooking, Rating Barbecue Grills and Smokers
        Check it out!

Comment

I've got a weber smokey mountain too. Love it. Last weekend I cooked a smoked turkey, at about 180 C. Took 3 hours and was delicious.

Do you know this site?

The Virtual Weber Bullet - For the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker smoker enthusiast

Absolutely MASSES of info and recipes etc on there.

Comment

I've got a WSM. I've cooked a few pork butts and ribs over the last couple weeks. Used the pork butts for pulled pork. They came out GOOD. Cooked with hickory at about 250* for 6 hours, spritzed every 2 hours with a blend of cherry and apple juice. Then served with either my apple cinnamon BBQ sauce or my raspberry chipotle BBQ sauce. The sauces are non-Paleo/Primal, but they taste really good.

I second the vote for ABTs (Atomic Buffalo Turds). The're peppers stuffed with a cream cheese mixture and cocktail wieners (or lil' smokies), then wrapped in bacon and cooked on the smoker for about 2 hours. The original recipe uses jalapeno peppers, but you can use sweet peppers for less heat or habaneros if you're a sado-masochist.

The way I usually make them:

Sweet peppers
            Cream cheese (make sure it's softened up)
            Shredded cheddar jack cheese
            Black pepper
            Garlic powder
            Onion powder
            Chili powder
            Hilshire Farms Cocktail Wieners
            Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory BBQ sauce
            Applegate Farms uncured bacon
            Whatever BBQ rub you use

Cut the peppers in half, and scrape out the seeds and white membrane.
            Mix the cream cheese, cheddar jack, and seasonings in a bowl, then spoon it into a small plastic sandwich bag (or cake icing pipe bag). If you use a sandwich bag, cut one of the bottom corners off.
            Pipe the cheese mixture into the pepper halves.
            Put the cocktail wieners into a bowl and cover them with BBQ sauce.
            Put 1 sausage into each pepper half.
            Wrap each pepper half in a half slice of bacon, and stick a toothpick in each one to keep it together.
            Lightly dust the peppers with the BBQ rub of your choice.
            Smoke for 2 hours at about 250* or so.

You can also make these in the oven a lot quicker. Making them on the smoker adds a nice flavor though.
            "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

Comment

ABTs always look great but alas i dont do dairy or hot dogs of any type ...

im thinking about firin up the WSM this friday for chicken with chimichurri, a fatty, and maybe some moinks so im good on food for the weekend ... unsure the moinks can run at the 300-325 i will probably run the chicken at though ..

Comment

I would love to have a genuine smoker, but I've come up with methods using a Little Chief smoker, a Nutriflow dehydrator, and slow oven cooking to make jerky and pulled pork. It's not the same, but it will have to do until the real smoker shows up.
                "Wait! I'll fix it!"
                "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
                "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"

Comment

blackbird ... look up a UDS .. ugly drum smoker .. if you hunt for parts you can build one for $50-60 and they work AWESOME.. it was my plan before i found the WSM cheap

Comment

I've got a smoke hollow propane smoker that I love. I'd have something bigger and more impressive if I was cooking for more than my wife and I. My favorite is smoked deer sausage.

Comment

Todd--thanks for the UDS info! Looks like my kind of project!
                      "Wait! I'll fix it!"
                      "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
                      "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"

Comment

I have used a big chief for years, mostly to smoke salmon and a bit of jerky. I had hopes of buildng a proper smoker this summer but won't get around to it in all likelihood. Maybe next year. Years back, I spent summers at a fish camp and put up lots of smoked and dried salmon. Them were the days....

Comment

I'm a cheater. My husband put a firebox on the side of our gas grill. I pile charcoal in it, add a box full of chips, and usually smoke whatever for a couple hours, then finish in the oven.

I've considered buying a for really-reals smoker. I probably smoke ribs/tri-tip/brisket once a month or so. As crappy as California BBQ is, I don't see us stopping this anytime soon.
                          Steph
                          My Primal Meanderings

Comment

I use a Traeger smoker after years of using bullet smokers and would never want to be without one on my patio now. I definitely do my share of pork butts, ribs, brisket, chicken thighs as well as whole chickens, wild shot geese and pheasant, homemade venison sausage, wild game jerky, salmon, etc. however lately I have been experimenting with making my own bacon as well as smoking pork belly by itself. In my opinion, pork belly is one of the most underutilized cuts of the pig. I know we all use it for bacon but no one ever thinks of it on its own.

Comment

We just have a big chief now. Have done pork roast, spare ribs, salmon, bacon, blutwurst, cheese...can't recall everything, but we get a lot of mileage out of that little metal box.
                              Here's a blog post I did with fantasy smokers. Some cool links too - Smokin! Seven Trees Farm
                              Seven Trees Farm - diversified subsistence farming on 1.25 acres.

Comment

Working...
                              X