No announcement yet.

Can You Boil an Egg? Then Tell Me!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you use an egg cooker remember to be very careful removing it from the microwave. The cooker I have looks like a big white egg and holds 4 eggs.. The top, thankfully, does not snap tight.. I use 2 towels folded several times and take it out of the microwave very carefully, then I take a sharp little knife and kinda flip the top off where the top and bottom meet.

Boiling water so hold it steady and level when taking out. I take a spoon and scoop each egg out into a bowl of cold water, turn faucet on tiny stream, crack against the sink and peel under the running water.. So easy and perfect every time. I cook them for 10 minutes because I want to make deviled eggs, less time if you want runny yolks. Just experiment a couple of times to get it right for you.

Comment

Use an egg indicator in the water with the egg. When it's red in the center it's ready. Also, drop in a pinch of baking soda for easy peeling.

Comment

Plunge into boiling water. Boil for 10 minutes. Take them out and allow to sit in cold water until they are cool to touch. Change the a couple of times if necessary to keep them cool.

Then very important! Tap lightly to make a crack. Then use the side of your thumb to gently remove the peel. Do not use your finger tips or finger nails as they will creat pits. It can also help if you hold them under running cold water as you peel them to remove any flakes of she'll rather than picking it off with your fingers.
        Last edited by Silky; 07-08-2012, 08:24 AM.
        My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

Comment

Another tip - if they've been sitting in the fridge overnight or longer, then I usually fill a short glass with hot water and let each egg sit in it for a minute or two while I'm peeling the one before it. Something about the warm water helps the membrane loosen its grip.

But I honestly don't have to do that anymore since I started steaming the instead of boiling them.
          Durp.

Comment

No need for a dedicated egg cooker, a food steamer works great.

Comment

After boiling add cold water and bicarb before peeling.

Comment

Steaming works every time. I never boil eggs anymore. We buy very fresh eggs and they never peel well when boiled. They peel perfectly when steamed though.

My method: I add water to the pot and put the eggs in the steamer pot above the water and cover with the lid. I turn the heat on high and then as soon as the water starts to boil I set my timer for 14 minutes. Once the timer goes off, I put the eggs in cold water to cool down.

Comment

Cooking methods aside, you want older eggs for easiest peeling. I always make sure they've been in the fridge for at least a week before I try hard-boiling.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

I use a spoon while peeling eggs. Just crack egg, slide spoon under shell and pull it away from egg. very easy and my eggs almost alway turn out pretty.

Comment

The spoon thing will be attempted as well. I always have sore thumbs from peeling. We tend to do 2 dozen at a time...

Thanks!!
                      I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

All the people on this thread recommending anything but steaming don't know what they are talking about. ;-) Seriously, it's the best method. It's doesn't matter how fresh the eggs are, if your pinch of something is just right, if they're cracked at just the right angle.

For well-done, easy to peel eggs, place in steamer basket over half a pot of water. Turn to med-high and set the timer for 16 minutes. Once done, rinse in cold water and peel when you need to. :-) I PROMISE you will have success.

Comment

Yesterday, I tried the egg steaming method... WOW! What a difference! That was the easiest peeling time I have ever had!

I used conventional eggs (ugh, but hubby bought them, thinking to help with the shopping). After peeling some of them with the fingers, I also tried getting under the shell with a spoon, and that was an added help.

So, THANK YOU to all of you. I will still try all other suggestions, just for the sake of a complete scientific study of the correct peeling of an egg - I will keep you posted.
                          I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

I tried the steaming method yesterday, and wow! It worked great. Not only did the eggs peel easily, but there was no black ring (I hate that). I'm going to miss my teaspoon method though; I was so happy to find a method that worked to get those pesky shells off

Comment

Use older eggs, not fresh eggs.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Well, after 50 years of cooking eggs, I'll tell you the only way that I have ever found that works each and every time. You roast them. No pre-boiling as in with many Jewish recipes for Beitzah. Pre-heat your oven to 325. Put a pan on the lower rack that will protect the oven if an egg breaks (I've never had it happen -- I just hate the thought of cleaning an oven and don't want to take the chance). Put as many eggs on the middle rack as you want. Roast 'em (actually I guess it's bake) for 20 minutes. Be sure to set up a large bowl with ice water and when the time is up quickly remove them and put them into the ice water. They will probably have little dark freckles on them coming out...it's only moisture seeping through the shell and disappears as they cool. They will peel easily and are no different than boiled eggs in looks or taste. If your oven runs hot or the heat is uneven inside and produces eggs with the grey-green ring around the yolk, you'll have to experiment with either shorter cooking time or lower oven temp.
                                When you think about it, early man, when he started using fire, very probably buried eggs in hot embers. There's a traditional North African roasted egg ...only it roasts for quite a few hours. It's a beautiful carmel color due to the long roast.

Comment

Working...
                                X