Bone Broth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone Broth

I'm incredibly disappointed in my taste buds for how they are reacting to the bone broth I made. After hearing most of you go on about how tasty bone broth is, and reading how great it is for you, I made some from beef bones.

I've tried it twice, but it just feels so greasy in my mouth after I swallow a bit. I tried adding some egg ala egg drop soup, but that didn't make it any better.

How do I eat my bone broth? I want all of the benefits it has, I want to like it! But for now....it's a little repulsive :'(

It tastes neutral to me. I freeze it and use a cube or two every day in my pottage.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

After you made it, did you put it in the refrigerator overnight so the fat would rise to the top and congeal and could be taken off (and used for cooking)? That still leaves good fat in it but not nearly so greasy in the mouth.
      Teacher and Homeschooler
      One husband of 9 years,
      Two kids (6 & 3)
      Pregnant with #3, due this summer

Going primal resolved my anxiety symptoms!!!

Comment

x2, always scrape off the fat unless you're into it. I am.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by FrankiG View Post
          After you made it, did you put it in the refrigerator overnight so the fat would rise to the top and congeal
          yes

Originally posted by FrankiG View Post
          and could be taken off (and used for cooking)?
          nope! problem solved lol!

Comment

I use lamb stock/broth for cooking my veggies in, a good size slab of it complete with small soft bones, but I couldn't sit down and eat the stuff. Use it as a base!

Comment

Don't throw away that fat though. At least if you're using pastured ruminant bones to make the broth. That would be like eating egg whites and throwing away yolks, e.g. a sacrilege.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I don't much like the bone broth, either. I have a new favorite though that I suspect is just as good: oxtails. Oh my, so good. There's this bit of gelatin at the ends of the bones that is so tasty. I cooked my oxtails in the crock pot with a tomato-based sauce. I thought it was really tasty. And with all the connective tissue, cartilage and other bone goodness, plus some actual meat, it's like bone broth only better.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I much prefer chicken stock to beef stock. I don't skim the fat, add a little tarragon, lots of sea salt, some celery and carrots and it is delicious!
                  Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

the best broth i had had been full of bone and skin... and an entire neck... completely entire, inside and out. disgusting to watch cook. and some salt sprinkled in

deeleesheeusss

but yeah, i chill it and scoop off the fat for the dogs
                    beautiful
                    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                    lol

Comment

Duck and lamb bones taste okay.
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                        the best broth i had had been full of bone and skin... and an entire neck... completely entire, inside and out. disgusting to watch cook. and some salt sprinkled in
                        That's how its traditionally made. My mom makes her own stock and I used to sit down to a big pile of chicken neck and wing bones and veggies with salt for dinner. It was fabulous.
                        January 14th-306.2
                        January 21st, lost 2" off my waist.
                        January 30th-300.2

Come to the edge she said.
                        No, I'll fall.
                        Come to the edge.
                        No, it's too high.
                        Come to the edge.
                        I came
                        She pushed
                        And I flew

Comment

i didn't even want to save it or use it for soup, i just drank it straight
                          beautiful
                          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                          lol

Comment

I tried to drink it like some of the zealots around here, but find that it is best used as an ingredient in whatever I'm cooking. I constantly keep it on hand due to the shit ingredients in even organic beef stock, but I don't just man up and eat it like a soup. I use it in chili, or as a liquid base for crock pot cooking, etc..
                            Last edited by tcb; 07-06-2012, 07:15 AM.

Comment

I do cook it down a bit after 72 hours to make it more concentrated, richer and I salt each individual serving to taste. I, too, use it in cooking, soups, everything needing stock, and drink a cup a day as a 'supplement'. I may not adore it, but I know it's good for me and the flavor is the best following this recipe How to Make "Brown" Beef Bone StockPaleo Spirit

I remove the thick slab of yellowy fat and use it for cooking (there's still plenty of fat in it). I thought that layer of hard fat was tallow - is that what it's called?
                              SW: 243
                              CW: 177
                              Goal: Health

Comment

Working...
                              X