sauerkraut crock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sauerkraut crock

I have just bought a sauerkraut crock and I'm really excited about it!

Fermenting Crock for Sauerkraut, Cucumbers & More, 5 liters, Preserving Jars & Pots | PureNature24.co.uk

The price seemed good - slightly dearer that amazon.co.uk, but postage was way less, so overall it worked out about 10 less. Can't wait for it to arrive!

I've had success with sauerkraut using a crock with saucer and polythene bag over the top, but this should take the element of risk away...

mmmmm, I love kraut. J make it too sometimes using the jar with the airlock lid contraption, but I've always wanted a Harsch crock. Which crock did you get?

Comment

oh, duh, I just looked at your link. Looks like a good one! Let us know how it works out.

Comment

oooh, I wanna do that. Looked at the crocks at Amazon, high, ordered a jar of organic just to make sure I like it as much as I think I do. Fermented foods supposed to be soooo good for us.

Comment

That looks like a good price, considering the one's at Amazon here in the US are mostly over $100. Yours is half that price.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynna View Post
            That looks like a good price, considering the one's at Amazon here in the US are mostly over $100. Yours is half that price.
            Perhaps it is because I am nearer to where it was made (Germany) so lower transport costs? Or import taxes, perhaps?
            Whichever, I can't wait for it to arrive! I've got an organic farm near where I live with wonderful looking cabbages!

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
              Perhaps it is because I am nearer to where it was made (Germany) so lower transport costs? Or import taxes, perhaps?
              Whichever, I can't wait for it to arrive! I've got an organic farm near where I live with wonderful looking cabbages!
              good luck let us know how it turns out.

Comment

I thought saurkraut jars where on supposed to be covered with clothe, not airtight lids when fermenting?
                I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
                My Journal

Comment

It has arrived! I am so pleased - can't wait to fill it up and get fermenting. Sadly, only two recipes are given in English - there are many more in German, but that is all Greek to me! I shall send them to a German speaking friend and see if she has time to translate some of them....

I am glad I ordered the smallest one - 5 litres. It is big enough - the 15 litre one would have been enormous!

Comment

Cool, let us know how it works.
                    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
                    My Journal

Comment

I found this information both helpful and fascinating:
                      Sauerkraut fermentation

The takeaway points are that temperature and salt concentration are crucial.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                        I found this information both helpful and fascinating:
                        Sauerkraut fermentation

The takeaway points are that temperature and salt concentration are crucial.
                        That is fascinating. It explains why the sauerkraut that I have made previously tasted slightly different sometimes. I thought the new crock would make it more even - obviously not! So having read your link, I shall probably ferment it in the sitting room (cooler than the kitchen in this weather!) and ferment in the kitchen in the winter.

Comment

Working...
                        X