in need of curry recipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in need of curry recipe

I want to make my first curry ever!! I have some curry paste, coconut cream and milk (I know both probably aren't necessary), an assortment of spices and vegetables, and some cubed meat. Will somebody please share a recipe with me?? Thank you in advance.

By the way, I don't have a food processor. Is one necessary?
    Last edited by PandaRose; 06-05-2012, 11:19 AM.

PR.

Basic Curry Recipe

Ingredients

2 tablespoons coconut oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    2-4 tablespoons curry paste (to taste)
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
    1 can full fat coconut milk
    1 bag frozen chopped spinach (optional, but it is just OH SO GOOD in curry)
    1-2 cups water (depending on how thick you want the sauce)

Melt the coconut oil over med-low heat. Add in the chopped onion and saute until just clear, about 5 minutes. Add in everything else and turn to low. Simmer about 10 minutes. Add in pre-cooked meat and simmer to heated through.

This should do 1-2 pounds of sliced chicken, shrimp or sliced steak. Cook the meat (protein) separately then add into simmering sauce. You can thicken the sauce with 1-2t of guar or xanthan gum before adding in the protein.

This is awesome spooned over riced, cooked cauliflower.

OH and..... you can replace the coconut milk with a small can of diced tomatoes. That gives you a totally new curry flavor.
    Last edited by DeilaMiah; 06-05-2012, 01:36 PM. Reason: Last thoughts
    If you do not stand behind your military, feel free to stand in front of them!

EMAIL ME!

Comment

Originally posted by DeilaMiah View Post
      PR.

Basic Curry Recipe

Ingredients

2 tablespoons coconut oil
      1 large onion, chopped
      2 tablespoons minced garlic
      2-4 tablespoons curry paste (to taste)
      1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
      1 can full fat coconut milk
      1 bag frozen chopped spinach (optional, but it is just OH SO GOOD in curry)
      1-2 cups water (depending on how thick you want the sauce)

Melt the coconut oil over med-low heat. Add in the chopped onion and saute until just clear, about 5 minutes. Add in everything else and turn to low. Simmer about 10 minutes. Add in pre-cooked meat and simmer to heated through.

This should do 1-2 pounds of sliced chicken, shrimp or sliced steak. Cook the meat (protein) separately then add into simmering sauce. You can thicken the sauce with 1-2t of guar or xanthan gum before adding in the protein.

This is awesome spooned over riced, cooked cauliflower.

OH and..... you can replace the coconut milk with a small can of diced tomatoes. That gives you a totally new curry flavor.
      Okay - this makes me wish I had either coconut milk or frozen spinach in my pantry/freezer right now - and yeah, curried spinach is so yummy... I'm going into my pantry to figure out similar flavor experience for the frozen veggies I do have and a couple of eggs...
      Originally posted by L8F
      ... I drank the fermented koolaid, and am totally on board...

I'm alergic to carbs - they make me break out in fat!

Comment

thanks guys!!!

Comment

I did a lamb curry and posted about it on my blog: primalpat.com

It was honestly FOODGASMIC!
          A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

used to make with chickpeas all the time, now make it with chicken or lamb -
            curry paste is 1 part ground coriander, 2 parts ground cumin, 1 part ground cayenne, 1 part ground turmeric, 1 part fresh ginger. plus one diced onion and one diced garlic bulb. fry the onion in butter (duh!), add as much curry paste as you fancy and stir it around a bit, then add your cubed meat of choice and fry a little while longer. add some quartered mushrooms (about the same amount by volume as the meat), one tin of chopped tomatoes, and a little stock to bring the liquid level to just surrounding the mushrooms and meat (not all the way to covering it). put the lid on and let it stew for about 20 minutes, then take the lid off and let it simmer and thicken for another 10-15 minutes. add a handful of fresh chopped cilantro (fresh coriander to brits/aussies) and adjust curry seasonings, salt & pepper to taste. if it's a bit thin, thicken with some ground almonds. devour.

^adjustable as per spices (hotter = more chilli powder or fresh chillies or whatever lifts your luggage) and if you want it to be fattier - and let's face it, we're primal so why not, you could add some double cream or coconut cream at the end. also, sometimes i pre-fry the mushrooms till they shrink and release their liquid and discard it - just cos it tends to turn the curry a bit gray. but sometimes i'm too lazy and i don't bother.

Comment

I dump a can of coconut milk into a pot and scoop out a few spoonfuls of Thai Kitchen green curry (or empty a packet of some other curry paste) into it. That's it for the sauce.

Add chopped of veggies of whatever kind is in the fridge.

Add either frozen seafood (shrimp, scallops, squid) or perhaps leftover roast beef or chunks of chicken or heck, even a can of tuna will do.

Top with cilantro.

Serve it over either rice or chunks of sweet potato or chunks of cooked real African yams.

Red curry works, too, but I like the green better.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Some days ago I've tried the Basic curry recipe (ive never cooked it before) and I loved it! and it turned out to be not so hard as i expected. I'm also going to try to make chicken curry with coconut milk the recipe of which is described at this page.
                Last edited by Clarisze; 09-20-2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

INGREDIENTS:

1 Tbsp cooking fat of your choice. I like ghee
                  2 garlic cloves, minced
                  2 tsp fresh minced ginger
                  1 large onion, sliced
                  1 Tbsp red Thai curry paste
                  1 cup chicken stock
                  1 can light coconut milk
                  1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4"cubes
                  1/2 lb green beans, trimmed
                  1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced
                  Juice of one lime
                  1 Tbsp fish sauce (optional)
                  Fresh cilantro or basil, for garnish

In a large saucepan, heat the oil on medium. Add the garlic, ginger, and onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the curry paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the chicken stock and coconut milk.

Simmer the curry

Bring the mixture to a simmer, add the sweet potato, and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the green beans and chicken. Cook the mixture until the vegetables are just tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes more.

Add the lime juice and fish sauce (if you're using it). Serve the curry over steamed brown rice and garnish with cilantro or basil if you like. Makes 4 servings

PER SERVING: 440 calories, 31 grams (g) protein, 45 g carbohydrates (5 g fiber), 15 g fat, 660 milligrams sodium

Comment

I use

Everyday Chicken Curry | Mark's Daily Apple

The tomatoes kind of dissolve into a paste, very easy and curry tasting. I use oysters instead of chicken. Also you can add coco milk to cut the spiciness.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobert View Post
                      I use

Everyday Chicken Curry | Mark's Daily Apple

The tomatoes kind of dissolve into a paste, very easy and curry tasting. I use oysters instead of chicken. Also you can add coco milk to cut the spiciness.
                      I love the idea of oyster or clam curry. Do you use fresh? I have fallen in love with canned smoked oysters and clams. I wonder how they would be in a curry.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Being a huge curry fan I tried for years to create my own curries that would taste as good as those from East Indian restaurants, each time they would be okay but never quite hit the mark.

I now do all mine in a slow cooker and set it for about 8 hrs( I nearly always use chicken breasts)the curries are now perfection every time, the slow cooking makes all the difference.

Comment

I use canned, but not smoked. I dont trust the oil in the smoked, too bad because they are quite tasty. I thinking canned clams would dissolve in the 20 min of simmering, but fresh or frozen ones would probably hold up. I think this is a great recipe for eating the things that I know I should be eating, but hate the taste or smell of; for me that is oysters and liver.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobert View Post
                            I use canned, but not smoked. I dont trust the oil in the smoked, too bad because they are quite tasty. I thinking canned clams would dissolve in the 20 min of simmering, but fresh or frozen ones would probably hold up. I think this is a great recipe for eating the things that I know I should be eating, but hate the taste or smell of; for me that is oysters and liver.
                            I get the canned, smoked clams and oysters in olive oil. I am thinking just adding them at the last hour of cooking in my slow cooker. So salivating about this.

Eta: liver..never would have thought of that in a curry.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

The OP doesn't make it clear whether she's looking for Thai curry recipes or Indian curry recipes, but I'm going to guess Thai because of the mention of curry paste. If so, proper cooking of the curry paste is crucial to getting a smooth, rich-tasting result.

Start with 1/2 cup of your coconut cream in a large skillet. Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until the coconut cream reduces to about half and develops an oily sheen on the surface. Add 1/2 cup coconut milk, and 2-3 Tbs of your curry paste. Mix, and continue to cook until the curry paste is almost dry. Add 1/2 - 1 cup or so of coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Stir in 2-3 Tbs of fish sauce, and if you aren't completely eliminating it, a pinch of sugar.

What you do next is going to depend on your cubed meat. If it's beef, add it next, and cook until it is uniformly tan on the outside before adding your veggies. If it's chicken or pork, do the veggies first, and add the meat after about 5-10 minutes of simmering. Cook until the veggies are tender and the meat is done to your liking. For veggies, we like mushrooms, carrot, cabbage, eggplant, bell pepper, etc.

FYI, for a Thai curry, it's often easiest to work with meat that has been thinly sliced as opposed to cubed. That way, it doesn't matter what type of meat it is, you can just throw it in at the end and cook until done.

If you're looking for a good source of Indian curry recipes, I highly recommend the book 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer. I'm not a huge fan of Indian food, but I haven't met a recipe of his that I didn't like.

Comment

Working...
                              X