No announcement yet.

Are There Any 'NORMAL' Paleo Recipes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those ideas are Primal - not Paleo. No rice or potatoes except sweet potatoes and only in moderation.

Comment

Originally posted by kmodell View Post
      Those ideas are Primal - not Paleo. No rice or potatoes except sweet potatoes and only in moderation.
      I suggest you find a hobby.
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I don't bother with recipes, I just eat real food simply prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
          Not for EVERYONE... stop over generalizing.
          Be careful, they might also be addicting
          Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

No recipes required!

Just take some meat or fish or shellfish, cook it. Meanwhile, take some vegetables and cook them. That's primal eating in its simplest form.

Always add herbs and spices for variety and interest, and every so often add some nuts.

We probably eat a significant piece of meat only once a week, at the weekend, and even then it's a cheap cut. The rest of the week is made up of turkey, beef and lamb diced pieces, fish and shellfish. All that is boosted with avocado, eggs and lots of good veggies, varied according to the seasons. Our food bill is about £80 a week for two people - that might not translate. That's all meals, lunches for work, too.

My food can look a little fancy, but that's how I like to do it - underneath, it's simple chow ... presented.
            Paul
            http://www.pjgh.co.uk
            http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Originally posted by pjgh View Post
              No recipes required!

Just take some meat or fish or shellfish, cook it. Meanwhile, take some vegetables and cook them. That's primal eating in its simplest form.

Always add herbs and spices for variety and interest, and every so often add some nuts.

We probably eat a significant piece of meat only once a week, at the weekend, and even then it's a cheap cut. The rest of the week is made up of turkey, beef and lamb diced pieces, fish and shellfish. All that is boosted with avocado, eggs and lots of good veggies, varied according to the seasons. Our food bill is about £80 a week for two people - that might not translate. That's all meals, lunches for work, too.

My food can look a little fancy, but that's how I like to do it - underneath, it's simple chow ... presented.
              Your dishes are beautifully presented, without being fussy, which I find very appealing. You clearly have a talent for photography.

My food bill is approximately equivalent to yours (I also live in the UK). Where do you shop for food, out of interest?
              F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Wow... there are a lot of posts. Unfortunately I didn't read through them all (sorry!) My favourite easy primal meal is organic mixed greens (or non-organic if you can't afford organic or can't get them), homemade ceasar dressing and whatever protein you want on top. I generally add cucumber, two boiled eggs, 1 strip of bacon, avocado and a tiny bit of feta cheese. This is really good with grass-fed beef, pork-chops or chicken. YUM and super easy. Just make a batch of the dressing and pre-cook a bunch of the ingredients ahead of time. Once all the stuff is cooked, it takes about 5 minutes to throw it all together.

Some sites for dressings:
                Salad Dressing And Vinaigrettes | Paleo Diet Lifestyle
                Stacey's Healthy Kitchen: Killer Caesar Salad
                Delicious Real Caesar Salad Dressing (Primal)

Salads are my absolute go to meal. It has lots of greens, protein and fats. I eat salads nearly daily...but they are not generally your average low calorie salad. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread54662-4.html Check out some of the other simple foods that I've made. I just recently started putting pictures (I think they start on page 3). My salads are in gigantic bowls. Pictures just don't do the size of it justice.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                  Your dishes are beautifully presented, without being fussy, which I find very appealing. You clearly have a talent for photography.

My food bill is approximately equivalent to yours (I also live in the UK). Where do you shop for food, out of interest?
                  Thank you 'bunny I really enjoy food and for me, putting it together is as pleasing as eating it. I'm not sure I have a talent for photography (yet) but I do have an artistic eye, which helps - the photography bit actually baffles me at times. I'm learning, though.

I really really try to shop at our local and very thriving farm shop, but it is just easier to shop at Sainsbury. I discipline myself to swing by the farm shop on a Monday night, scoop up meat, fish and veggies, then down to Sainsbury for the rest. Mondays, I like a really easy meal which affords me time to go out for a walk and then back home to cook dinner. Monday night shopping does us for the week. At the weekend, I go for a longer walk (8-10 miles Saturday and Sunday) and swing by the farm shop for something special for the evening meal. Sometimes, I'm too late and we have to put up with whatever dog end I can find left ...

Sainsbury is a pretty good retailer, all things considered. Each shop has its own characteristics and each station has its own Manager. I have talked at length with the meat and fish Manager and sourcing good produce, and they do listen. Moreover, they do have some clout in buying. Not a huge clout, but some. Farm shops, of course, source locally first and ours is full of locally grown meat - cows, mostly, grass fed (I know this because I walk amongst them daily) and they taste fantastic. Putting Sainsbury's best on my plate is like a slab of tofu; a plate of grass fed local cow is a sheer joy, and that's the beauty of farm shops.

In case any local folks are reading this, here's my local farm shop: Keelham Farm Shop

Eating locally and seasonally is my big push this year.

Back to the original poster and the reason I posted what I did ... meat and fish go with what they grow with. Eating locally and seasonally is half the battle - actually getting food which is grown locally and more so, seasonally, is a real challenge. I can see why so many paleo and primal people turn to home production.

Eat the best you can afford and don't worry. Keep it clean. Moreover, stick to local and seasonal for the best FOR YOU.
                  Paul
                  http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                  http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

One of my favorite meals is a hamburger without the bun. Fry your patty and top with whatever you like on your burger. Mushrooms, cheese, tomato, whatever.

Other cheap easy meal I like is ground beef sautéed with shredded cabbage, you can even use the pre shredded bagged kind in a pinch. Butter, garlic salt and pepper. So comfort food!

Or think of a sandwich you like and prepare that in layers on a plate. Roast beef mustard and cheese, lettuce.

Taco salad is easy cheap and awesome. Just pile the toppings in a bowl and eat!

Bake some chicken thighs in the oven brushed with olive oil and garlic and throw a spaghetti squash in at the same time. Bake both at 350 for an hour and a quarter. A long cooked chicken thigh gets all crispy and juicy and AMAZING! Just butter on your squash, and you have a super yummy meal with almost no prep!

Or throw a roast, carrots, onion, celery, sweet potato chunks together and drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt pepper and garlic over all. Bake for an hour of two. Eat!

I also like a nice Smokie with sauerkraut.

Or steak and broccoli with garlic butter for dipping your bites in.

Mmmmm I'm hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by pjgh View Post
                      Thank you 'bunny I really enjoy food and for me, putting it together is as pleasing as eating it. I'm not sure I have a talent for photography (yet) but I do have an artistic eye, which helps - the photography bit actually baffles me at times. I'm learning, though.

I really really try to shop at our local and very thriving farm shop, but it is just easier to shop at Sainsbury. I discipline myself to swing by the farm shop on a Monday night, scoop up meat, fish and veggies, then down to Sainsbury for the rest. Mondays, I like a really easy meal which affords me time to go out for a walk and then back home to cook dinner. Monday night shopping does us for the week. At the weekend, I go for a longer walk (8-10 miles Saturday and Sunday) and swing by the farm shop for something special for the evening meal. Sometimes, I'm too late and we have to put up with whatever dog end I can find left ...

Sainsbury is a pretty good retailer, all things considered. Each shop has its own characteristics and each station has its own Manager. I have talked at length with the meat and fish Manager and sourcing good produce, and they do listen. Moreover, they do have some clout in buying. Not a huge clout, but some. Farm shops, of course, source locally first and ours is full of locally grown meat - cows, mostly, grass fed (I know this because I walk amongst them daily) and they taste fantastic. Putting Sainsbury's best on my plate is like a slab of tofu; a plate of grass fed local cow is a sheer joy, and that's the beauty of farm shops.

In case any local folks are reading this, here's my local farm shop: Keelham Farm Shop

Eating locally and seasonally is my big push this year.

Back to the original poster and the reason I posted what I did ... meat and fish go with what they grow with. Eating locally and seasonally is half the battle - actually getting food which is grown locally and more so, seasonally, is a real challenge. I can see why so many paleo and primal people turn to home production.

Eat the best you can afford and don't worry. Keep it clean. Moreover, stick to local and seasonal for the best FOR YOU.
                      Interesting. I favour Sainsbury too. Also Asda, for my sins. When I'm out and about in Somerset I enjoy shopping at farm shops, especially for locally farmed eggs and cheeses ... however, I don't go out of my way to shop at farm shops.

Eating locally and seasonally is good. I bought a huge bunch of mixed size asparagus from Sainsbury the other day for the bargain price of £1.50 (about a third of the usual price). It's good stuff.
                      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I love the website PaleOMG.com She has a lot of tasty looking crockpot recipes. I'm going to try the rump roast one soon

Comment

What do you like?
                          If you like ethnic- try curries and stirfrys- serve over steamed spinach or just eat.
                          If you like simple- grill/roast/sear meat and serve with whatever veggies you like.

Here are a few of my go tos:
                          Burrito bowl- pan seared chicken breast over diced sweet potato and spinach with salsa, cheese and avocado
                          Crock pot pork roast- put a pork shoulder in a crock pot with of your choice, cook all day. Shred. Eat.
                          Fish with salsa- mango salsa, roasted tomatoes with garlic and basil, avocado salsa, tomato salsa, pineapple salsa
                          Burger covered with onions and mushrooms, or avocado and salsa
                          Roast chicken with sweet potatos
                          Salads with bacon and poached eggs

Get a good book on preparing meats. Get a good book on preparing veggies. Done. Turn to places like Martha Stewart, Bon Appetit etc. for basic recipes. They generally have a good gold standard on basic preparations. I'd say 75% of non- dessert recipes in an issue of Bon Appetit are easy enough to make primal.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Working...
                          X