Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flourless gravy, anyone?

Hey everyone,
    I'm desperate. Not really, but I'm in need of your help. Is there such a thing as gravy without flour? Does it even exist? I've tried cookbooks and Bing. Nada results. I'm a lone (primal+crossfit & under 21) college kid living alone and need a solid recipe that provides leftovers (leftovers cold, since I'm too poor to afford a microwave for my unfurnished apartment. My latest achievement was a casserole dish as a gift from grandmom. So I'd love to have a good (beef) casserole recipe with a binding agent such as gravy. I don't mind mixing in one miniscule tablespoon or whatever of flour in it, but I'm not buying a 1-2lb bag O' flour.
    Also, while I'm I'm at it, what about beef stew without wine? I'm under 21 and unable to get a hold of any (its infuriating). Any wine-less, hearty stews out there in the primal world?

Also, I'm crock pot-devoid as well... I hate this poor college kid scene

Comment

Puree onions and garlic. Heat lard, tallow or other fat in dish and add puree. Stir over medium heat until the onions are cooked and the fat begins to separate. It should sizzle gently. Add the meat to brown. Add water to almost cover, salt to taste and any vegetables, spices etc. Cover. Cook on low heat for two hours. Remove the lid and continue to cook until sauce is thick and meat is a rich, dark colour.

This is a really basic recipe that can be adapted to many cuisines throughout the work by the use of different vegetables, spices etc. Also, if using a lot of spice, it is often better to cook them in the cooked puree for a couple of minutes before adding the meat.
      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Arrowroot starch. You can also use some of the GF flour blends that at least don't have gluten, but may have corn starch price starch in them.
        Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

We use cornflour as an alternative to wheat flour in gravy. It's not strictly primal, but meh.
          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by Twibble View Post
            Arrowroot starch. You can also use some of the GF flour blends that at least don't have gluten, but may have corn starch price starch in them.
            This. Also if you can find an Asian market look for water chestnut powder. Both perfectly Primal thickeners.

Comment

Sweet rice flour is excellent. Most grocery stores carry mochiko brand in oriental section.

Comment

You need to find some second hand stores. The ones I go to usually have crock pots for under $10. I don't think nayone is so broke that they can't afford thrift shops. Do a little leg work and I bet you could score a microwave too. A little hustle goes a long way.
                Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

As above, arrowroot. Add it last thing as it doesn't like to be heated too much.

Comment

Originally posted by zilog View Post
                    As above, arrowroot. Add it last thing as it doesn't like to be heated too much.
                    True. This is why I like the water chestnut powder better. It stands up to the heat (and even a leftovers re-heating).

Comment

Kuzu works the same as arrowroot, and can be found in most health food stores.

Comment

Where can you find kudzu?
                        The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
                        Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
                        Pope John Paul II

Comment

Originally posted by MightyAl View Post
                          You need to find some second hand stores. The ones I go to usually have crock pots for under $10. I don't think nayone is so broke that they can't afford thrift shops. Do a little leg work and I bet you could score a microwave too. A little hustle goes a long way.
                          Also garage sales, craigslist and birthday gifts...
                          Another thought -- you might find someone in your family has a crockpot or microwave just taking up space and might be willing to let you borrow indefinitely.

Comment

Originally posted by ZacD View Post
                            Hey everyone,
                            I'm desperate. Not really, but I'm in need of your help. Is there such a thing as gravy without flour? Does it even exist? I've tried cookbooks and Bing. Nada results. I'm a lone (primal+crossfit & under 21) college kid living alone and need a solid recipe that provides leftovers (leftovers cold, since I'm too poor to afford a microwave for my unfurnished apartment. My latest achievement was a casserole dish as a gift from grandmom. So I'd love to have a good (beef) casserole recipe with a binding agent such as gravy. I don't mind mixing in one miniscule tablespoon or whatever of flour in it, but I'm not buying a 1-2lb bag O' flour.
                            Also, while I'm I'm at it, what about beef stew without wine? I'm under 21 and unable to get a hold of any (its infuriating). Any wine-less, hearty stews out there in the primal world?
                            Go to a place where you can buy bulk flour and get a 1/2 c. If you are in a (liberal) college town, they typically have food co-ops of some sort. Or find a neighbor and borrow some. I've made gravy before by just reducing the hell out of the pan juices on the stove top. Aptly named Pan Gravy. I've also used tapioca starch, arrowroot, potato flour, etc. But you will have the dilemma of needing to buy a lot more than what you need unless you go with arrowroot (McCormick sells it in spice sized jars).

As far as the wine-less beef stew, you can just omit the wine and sub more broth. It won't be exactly the same, but if you simmer with the lid ajar or off the allow the steam to escape you can reduce the sauce for more flavor. Also, adding tomato paste helps deepen the flavor. Go to Epicurious.com: Recipes, Menus, Cooking Articles & Food Guides and do a search for beef stew. Be patient and allow the meat to stew for 3 hours. Better the next day, as always.

Somebody also told me to use a bottle of MICROBREW root beer. The real deal. Not sure about that one... but curious to try it. You would probably alter the spices a bit to reflect the sweetness.

Crock pots are cheap. If you can afford beef, you can afford a crock pot.
                            sigpic
                            Age 48
                            Start date: 7-5-12
                            5'3"
                            121lbs
                            GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
                            Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

if you can't afford a microwave try goodwill or other thrift store. If you can't find one for less than $10 bucks you're doing it wrong. Also, easiest gravy in the world, cook your meat in pan, remove meat, add onions, mushrooms or whatever fixins you like, add a little bit of butter and some heavy whipping cream, stir frequently for about 3-5 minutes and voila.

Comment

Working...
                              X