Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Attempt at Beef Heart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • First Attempt at Beef Heart

    Hey all -

    So I scored 3 and a quarter pounds of grass fed beef heart for 12 bucks at the farmer's market, only to realize - I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH BEEF HEART!!!

    Suggestions? Recipes? Cooking techniques? Let me have them!

    Abby

  • #2
    Searching Marks blog I see lots of info including

    Grilled Beef Heart with Roasted Chili Peppers | Mark's Daily Apple

    Slow-Cooked

    Searching the forums I found quite few also, including:

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53849.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread718.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread20903.html

    But there are more if you search. I have only had heart once chopped and sautéed in butter and thyme (yum!) but I can't wait to get another and try the heart on fire. Good luck.
    SW: 243
    CW: 177
    Goal: Health

    Comment


    • #3
      My husband makes and AWESOME stew, carrots, celery, some herbs etc. The heart makes a nice gravy that doesn't happen with other beef. We recently tried slicing it and grilling it like steak which was pretty good too. It has it's own flavor which isn't *too* strong but I liked the stew to adjust to the flavor....now I don't mind it grilled. Stuffed and baked is really good too....just stuff it with whatever sounds good

      Comment


      • #4
        I have tried 2 methods of cooking beef heart. I recently tried cutting it into strips and grilling. This turned out ok but I was less then impressed with th results. The heart does not absorb seasoning well and the taste is bland. Also it is difficult to deal with the hard fat on the heart.

        My preferred method is to use a slow cooker and throw the whole thing in. The fat turns the whole thing into a rich wonderful stew. I added carrots, onions, mushrooms, and treated it like a roast. I loved it.

        Here is my blog about the crock pot beef heart.

        Grass Fed Organ Meats Pt. 2 - Crock Pot Beef Heart - Primal Roar
        Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MightyAl View Post
          I have tried 2 methods of cooking beef heart. I recently tried cutting it into strips and grilling. This turned out ok but I was less then impressed with th results. The heart does not absorb seasoning well and the taste is bland. Also it is difficult to deal with the hard fat on the heart.
          If you're going to sear it and eat it rare-ish, it's imperative to trim it very well. You gotta cut off the fat since it won't have time to render and you have to trim off the fascia so that the meat can absorb any spices (also the fascia is chewy when it's not cooked for a long time). Here's a video of Chris Cosentino showing how to do it: Cleaning a beef heart - YouTube
          I save all the trim and grind it. I use it just like any other ground beef.

          Your recipe looks pretty delicious, by the way. i might actually have to try it slow cooked one of these days.
          Last edited by yodiewan; 12-12-2012, 11:33 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
            If you're going to sear it and eat it rare-ish, it's imperative to trim it very well. You gotta cut off the fat since it won't have time to render and you have to trim off the fascia so that the meat can absorb any spices (also the fascia is chewy when it's not cooked for a long time). Here's a video of Chris Cosentino showing how to do it: Cleaning a beef heart - YouTube
            I save all the trim and grind it. I use it just like any other ground beef.

            You're recipe looks pretty delicious, by the way. i might actually have to try it slow cooked one of these days.
            Yeah trimming it annoyed me because I know I ate all those parts when I slow cooked it. I don't have a meat grinder so the trimmings were wasted. All my hearts will be in the slow cooker from now on.
            Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              How hard is it to get all the connective tissue, valves and so on out? I do have good sharp meat knives. I'm planning to get a slow cooker in a week or tow and thought I would try this.
              Odille
              F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
              following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

              My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

              Comment


              • #8
                heart is quite delicious raw, little salt and you're good. umm... but I understand i'm probably the only one who will ever do that. in either case, it is blasphemy for anyone to trim the fat from the heart, it is some of the best fat nature has to offer.
                I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
                  heart is quite delicious raw, little salt and you're good. umm... but I understand i'm probably the only one who will ever do that. in either case, it is blasphemy for anyone to trim the fat from the heart, it is some of the best fat nature has to offer.
                  I have been tempted to eat it raw when trimming it. I will try that when I get some from a grass-fed cow. Don't really trust the conventionally raised beef to be super clean. And don't worry, I eat the fat. I either grind it with the rest of the trim or render it.
                  Last edited by yodiewan; 05-22-2012, 06:03 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I've nibbled on raw chicken hearts but have yet to find beef hearts at the stores I frequent. Chicken hearts are pretty easy to just throw on a pan and cook quickly, no trimming necessary at least in my experience, and no chewy or hard bits.
                    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                      I have been tempted to eat it raw when trimming it. I will try that when I get some from a grass-fed cow. Don't really trust the conventionally raised beef to be super clean. And don't worry, I eat the fat. I either grind it with the rest of the trim or render it.
                      yeah, i wouldn't try it unless it's from a 100% grass fed animal either. Come to think of it, I've never had cooked heart myself, only raw. Probably worth trying, especially since I have some right now
                      I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Good suggestions! (Although I'm not sure I'm ready to chomp on raw beef heart. Never even thought that was a possibility). I think I've settled on slow cooking it in a crock pot tomorrow with carrots, some purple sweet potatoes I picked up, onions and herbs. Do I need to add any liquid or does it do pretty well in its own juices? Thanks again fro your help!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I bought a 2.5lb one recently. I cut it up into smaller pieces and sauteed like I would stew meat, added a lot of spices and put it on top a bed of kimchi and sauerkraut.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            For those who like it raw:

                            Chris Cosentino's Beef Heart Tartare - Puttanesca Style Recipe | The Daily Meal

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Digging up Beef Heart ideas. I havent fixed one in over 20 years. Was thinking of just slow cooker w/veggies?
                              65lbs gone and counting!!

                              Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X