Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Mom with a SAD Toddler. Please Weigh In!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YOU decide what and when he eats. HE decides if and how much. He can't eat them if you don't serve them. Simple.

3 year olds are supposed to be stubborn. Half the time they don't know what the hell they're being stubborn about. All he has to do to 'win' is be stubborn 1 minute longer than you.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by primalmontana View Post
      When my daughter says shes hungry, she gets to choose from three thungs(ex. Apples and almond butter, cheese, or nuts) she will complain but eventually picks one. Dinner is what is put in front of her or she doesn't get to eat. She has only gone to bed 1x w/o dinner and learned I wasn't joking!
      Standing ovation from me!
      Sandra
      *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Depending on how mature of a three year-old he is you can try talking about it with him.

We keep kosher so it was around three that my girls started asking for things at the store and hubby and I had to keep talking about what we can and cannot eat. These last two years (my girls are 6 now) I've been cooking Weston A. Price style at home and I've been weaning them off of junk and onto good stuff.

I also find that when they help me plan and cook they eat more. Nothing is more fun than cooking with three three year-olds! LOL

Mac and cheese was a huge one! It seemed like they ate it every day for lunch. Then I would "forget" to buy it and it became a couple times a month. Then I slowly replaced the powder with real cheese. I tried using a rice pasta but that was a no-no. Now, I can't recall the last time they had regular mac n cheese. A few months ago I cooked pasta, tossed it with coconut oil and shredded some raw cheese over it and they were happy.

I'm lucky, though, as the Moroccan way we were eating a lot of the time means my kids love lamb and beef, veggies and fruits. Dd1 will eat cucumbers from the fridge and I have to tell dd3 how many of the tomatoes I need for recipes because she will eat the rest.

Another thing is using muffin tins instead of plates. For a year my girls ate every meal out of a 6-cup muffin tin. Just fill five of the cups with little bits of stuff then the last with a dip of some sort. I also let them have a tray as snack and left it on their table so they could cruise by and munch.

As for you hubby, I got nothing. Mine is in the skeptical camp and pretty much eats what I feed him with a side of bread.
        Miriam in Sunny SoCal

Comment

Originally posted by Sandra in BC View Post
          YOU decide what and when he eats. HE decides if and how much. He can't eat them if you don't serve them. Simple.

3 year olds are supposed to be stubborn. Half the time they don't know what the hell they're being stubborn about. All he has to do to 'win' is be stubborn 1 minute longer than you.
          As he has MY personality, he is beyond stubborn. I HAVE done the *choose out of the three* and he will go hungry if he doesn't get his way.
          If you do not stand behind your military, feel free to stand in front of them!

EMAIL ME!

Comment

Here's a quick and dirty with cheese that he might like.

The base is either rice, potatoes, quinoa, or cauliflower. Of the first three, they must be cooked first -- in whatever way works for you. For potatoes, I like to grate and broil them so that they are crispy hash browns. I make them into little potato pancakes to do this. Sweet potatoes work too. They store easily in the fridge, so you can bring them out later in the week when you are tired/busy.

So, i take some bacon and/or bacon fat (usually bacon fat), into a POT (not skillet) with onion and garlic and get those to translucent. Then i add some veggies, basically stir frying them. I add the potatoes/cauliflower and they fry up a little bit more too (getting a bit of flavor). That's just to heat the rice/potatoes through (it's helpful to bring it up to room temperature while chopping veggies, if possible).

Finally, I add cheese and a bit of butter, as well as pepper or other seasonings to taste.

It's really quite a nice, quick, hearty meal. And if you replace the bacon fat with another oil, it's vegetarian.

Comment

And, nothing wrong with going hungry. Honestly, it's ok for him to choose that. Unless it's negatively affecting his health (failure to thrive), he should be ok.

Comment

this book! it is a family cook book, paleo, FOR KIDS! i have a copy, and i did a review of it. these are some SAD kids turned paleo, and the first few pages are "how to cope" style. i think it will help you lots!

Eat Like a Dinosaur | Paleo Parents

here is the blog from which it was born:
                Paleo Parents

Comment

Working...
                X