Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thicken without flour or cornstarch?

Hello All,
    I'm wanting to make green chile stew, but would like to thicken it without flour or cornstarch...
    Ideas?
    Linda

Arrowroot. Best of all, it thickens clear. It can be gelatinous when you use too much, but that can work to your advantage.

Moving over to ancestral eating, I had to push flour and cornstarch aside. Arrowroot has answered many of my needs.
    Paul
    http://www.pjgh.co.uk
    http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Tapioca or coconut flour
      Odille
      F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
      following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Comment

thank you thank you!
        Linda

Comment

xantham gum also works well.

Comment

Potato starch and tapioca starch are clean, healthy thickeners you can use made from primal foods.

Xanthan gum works well but...it's questionable in nature. It's also brutal on my friend's IBS. The slightest drop has her running for the bathroom, and I believe it's a corn byproduct. I use it to make chocolate syrup because it takes like 1/2 tsp to thicken a whole pint of it, but I don't have any food sensitivities. Potato and tapioca are superior choices.

Of course, the best of all is UNFLAVORED GELATIN! Think Knox Gelatin in the baking aisle. It's made from cow bones. It's difficult to use compared to starches, but it is FANTASTIC in ice cream to keep it from freezing hard and since it's ground up cow bones it's probably the best for health! My guess is it would suck in chili.

I don't use thickeners in chili, I just reduce it. However, since it's chili, cocoa powder may help since chocolate rocks in chili!
            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
              I don't use thickeners in chili, I just reduce it. However, since it's chili, cocoa powder may help since chocolate rocks in chili!
              I use the same approach in chili - in general, I like soups/stews/chilis on the chunky/hearty side, so I'm after a meatier soup moreso than just thickening the liquid part. As such reducing the liquid works well - the end result is thicker, heartier, and has a more intense flavor.

Comment

Arrow root. It is terrific
                Julia
                Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
                Started Primal Mid January 2011
                Current Weight 183
                Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
                http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

Comment

I thought arrowroot, tapioca and Xanthan gum were NOT Paleo. Mark?

Comment

Originally posted by kmodell View Post
                    To thicken we are talking maybe 2-3 tablespoons for a stew to provide probably 6 serves or so. Hardly a problem if you are 80/20ing, or even 90/10ing.
                    Odille
                    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
                    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by kmodell View Post
                      I believe arrowroot is considered paleo - the others are more of a gray zone. Tapioca is roughly in the same category as white rice - maybe not paleo, but relatively low-toxin.

Comment

Why not just puree some PB vegetable to thicken the sauce?
                        You can also puree some of the meat to thicken it.

Comment

tomato paste
                          ground dry mushrooms
                          ground almonds
                          tapioca starch
                          mashed potatoes or other starchy veggies
                          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

While reading through The Good Egg, egg yokes can be used to thicken a soup by mixing the yoke with hot water, then pouring it into the soup or sauce.

Comment

A word of caution about arrowroot: It breaks down easily. It's the sort of thickener you add at the end and don't continue to boil. This can be an issue if you are intending to reheat leftovers. When I make stews and chilis, I tend to make big batches because I like having leftovers.

That said, I don't thicken my chili. I just reduce the heck out of the liquid. And +1 for coco.

Comment

Working...
                              X