Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shirataki Noodles?

Hi Everyone,
    I was wondering if Shirataki noodles are Paleo/Primal friendly? If so, does anyone have any recipes they could share?

They are, but they're fairly useless. Paleo/Primal is big on nutrient density, and these noodles have none. If you must, use a spiralizer to make zucchini noodles or something; it'll be a better investment than the $2/lb konnyaku you're getting anyway.
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by jbenson View Post
      Hi Everyone,
      I was wondering if Shirataki noodles are Paleo/Primal friendly? If so, does anyone have any recipes they could share?
      Aren't they made from soybeans? Making them a no-no for paleo? Cause I used to eat them often and I then I stopped eating soy/tofu. I'd make this sweet miso soup with them.

I missed them til I found kelp noodles at wholefoods. They aren't as tasty but you can make them work after u soak them in hot water, then lightly fry them.

Comment

Do a search. There are several threads about the noodles and recipes.

Samira, shirataki noodles are made from yam flour. (Shirataki noodles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) They are basically all fiber so the body passes them along. They don't have a lot of nutrients but if you're craving noodles they can be a good replacement.

Some people love them for that, I have used them in place of spaghetti noodles in Italian dishes (eh, ok but not anywhere near like flour pasta-spaghetti squash worked better), ramen (do-able but still not the same), and stir-frys (worked the best).
        See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

There are tofu version of shirataki noodles that are white in color instead of translucent. I will have to give kelp noodles a try. It sounds neat!
          In Sanity,
          Charlie

Weight: 350/200 (within 16 months)/205
          Body Fat: 50%/12%/10%

A Day in the Life of Groktimus Prime

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylee99 View Post
            Do a search. There are several threads about the noodles and recipes.

Samira, shirataki noodles are made from yam flour. (Shirataki noodles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) They are basically all fiber so the body passes them along. They don't have a lot of nutrients but if you're craving noodles they can be a good replacement.

Some people love them for that, I have used them in place of spaghetti noodles in Italian dishes (eh, ok but not anywhere near like flour pasta-spaghetti squash worked better), ramen (do-able but still not the same), and stir-frys (worked the best).
            they have shirataki noodles that are tofu free! TY for info, I have to look for them. I miss my shirataki noodles but i dont want any soy in my body.

Groktimus: if you like roasted seaweed (which I do) you'll like kelp noodles. I just can't eat it out of the bag cause it kinda smells fishy and its too crunchy. So I wash it and then cook it up.

Comment

I've only seen them made of yam flour. I didn't know there were tofu ones as well. Learn something new every day
              See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

I have used them in place of spaghetti noodles in Italian dishes

Comment

I like Miracle Noodle shirataki noodles to satisfy carb/pasta craves!!

Originally posted by DoinicDenson View Post
                  I have used them in place of spaghetti noodles in Italian dishes
                  Miracle Noodles are made of naturally water soluble fiber with no fat, sugar, or starch.
                  and contain zero net carbohydrates and zero calories wheat and gluten-free and -made of natural fiber called Glucomannan. They easily absorbs the flavors of any soup, dish, or sauce. They are instant and come in a variety of shapes and sizes. also love their Rice which I substitue in rice pudding, which I love, soups and stirfries. You can have your pasta and enjoy with the carbs and calories. Their Facebook page has so many recipes people have shared..hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                    They are, but they're fairly useless. Paleo/Primal is big on nutrient density, and these noodles have none. If you must, use a spiralizer to make zucchini noodles or something; it'll be a better investment than the $2/lb konnyaku you're getting anyway.
                    Spiralizer, eh? Another kitchen gadget I should get?

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis-MA View Post
                      Spiralizer, eh? Another kitchen gadget I should get?
                      Yessss those zucchini noodles look like a comparable substitute if you really miss noodles. I don't have one myself because I don't care for noodles, but for those who do, it's the way to go

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                        Yessss those zucchini noodles look like a comparable substitute if you really miss noodles. I don't have one myself because I don't care for noodles, but for those who do, it's the way to go
                        May I suggest investing in a hand held julienne peeler? This is the one I own, it works like CRAZY on all types of fruit and veggies and only costs $15.
                        If you do not stand behind your military, feel free to stand in front of them!

EMAIL ME!

Comment

I am an Italian, with a knack for cooking. And today I tried the Shirataki noodles.

I find they are not and won't be in any way a replacement for the durum pasta. Aside the gelatinous texture of which everybody is aware even before they enter their month, the surface is pretty slippery: sauces won't stick to nor be absorbed by them easily, ending up eating plain noodles just to scrape the sauce from the dish later. Moreover they cannot be cooked "al dente", definitely a must for someone who wants to eat pasta the italian way. Verdict: flunked.

However I did not entirely dislike them and I think I will give them a second chance next time I cook some asian recipes, they should make for a great replacement for rice noodles in a Thai Wok.

Just my two cents!
                          Last edited by primal_alex; 05-18-2012, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeilaMiah View Post
                            May I suggest investing in a hand held julienne peeler? This is the one I own, it works like CRAZY on all types of fruit and veggies and only costs $15.
                            Lol, I have one of those. It cost me $2 at the nearest Chinese grocery store. They don't get the zucchini into noodles quite as long as a spiralizer though

Comment

Working...
                            X