RAW dog food recipe and cost!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAW dog food recipe and cost!

I made RAW dog food today! So healthy for my adorable pup and really economical.

-Everything here is raw except the canned macherel and the frozen spinach.-

$2.22 1.1 lb beef

$1.02 1 lb chicken hearts and giblets

$1.49 1 lb beef liver

$1.89 1 can mackerel (reg can size...?)

$0.75 frozen spinach

$0.70 5 large carrots

$0.50 1/2 med sweet potato

$0.45 1/2 bunch parsley

$0.25 3 eggs

FREE 12 eggshells

FREE 7 extra yolks

Put everything in the food processor separately, then added to a big bowl. MIX. Its like meatloaf, lol.

She gets 3.5 ounces of this per day (3-4% of total body weight in food per day). 7.5lb doggie x 16oz x .03= ~3.5oz.

It made 5lb, 14oz food.

I portioned it out with an ice cream scoop and am freezing it. Will thaw for puppy when she eats.

Thats enough for a month!!! Great quality, RAW, grain-free dog food for $9.27 a month!

Awesome.

I have pics on my FB page in "mobile uploads" if you wanna see it.

*My pup is allergic to grains. Evidence: she gnaws her skin very badly when she eats grains, even half a milkbone. Like scabby and gross. So after multiple rounds of switching her food and many costly vet visits I decided to just do it myself (my solution most of the time these days for everything). Now, she's all better! Its miraculous really.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Make sure she gets raw meaty bones to gnaw on. This'll help with her teeth and give her something to do. I get the beef ribs, usually 3 - 4 to a pack for a couple of bucks. They range from 6 - 8 inches long.

Thank you for feeding your pup as good as you've been feeding yourself!

Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Comment

She literally tries to swallow everything whole. And I have tried bones and she just looks at them like "wtf MOM?!"

Its sad a little, b/c I wish I could re-adjust her. I keep trying but no luck so far, and its been a while.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

She's gonna need some bones too (RMBs where the bone is eaten with the meal). I love feeding our dogs a raw diet...it's just too labor intensive right now with 19 of them. Chicken frames/backs + raw meat + green tripe + random offal + a little veggie mash (optional but DH liked to do it).

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Yeah the bones again.

I was SO exited but no go. STILL no go. Sigh.

She is 10 and kibble fed untile a few months ago so I suppose she just *doesnt know what to do with them*.

Comment

Dogs have to learn to chew. Think about kibble...gulp gulp it's gone.

Bones, chunks of meat...chew chew, gnaw gnaw. The first time I put down a whole talipia for Mikey, he backed up and barked his head off at it. (he was about 3 months old) Then, after glancing at Allie who had hers propped up between her front feet chewing on the head, he pulled it out of his pan, let it flop down, barked some more,then took it and RAN to the back part of the yard for some privacy while he figured it out!

Dogs get calcium and minerals from the bones. Make sure she gets bones big enough she can't swallow and let her have some fun figuring it out.

Comment

Maybe I need to get her a play/feed date with a dog to show her how! LOL. Ill keep trying but its no looking good. Its okay though, even if she doesnt figure it out shes way better off than most pups!

Ill even admit I tried to show her how by gnawing on it myself! hahahaaa

Comment

Dogs are carnivores and do not have the digestive enzymes to break down raw vegetables. You'll probably find that if you leave the veggies out your dog will get just as much from the meat potion of the mixture (and it will end up cheaper).

Otherwise it sounds great. When we had a dog we fed him mince, liver, whole eggs and tinned sardines in olive oil.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
                Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
                Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

Wow! That's dedication! Yah for you!

My old dog who passed a couple of yrs ago didn't take to it either so after he was diagnosed w/kidney failure, I half cooked chicken and burger for him. He had horrible allergies similar to what you described.

When we got Allie at 2 months, I immediately switched her. Did the same with the boys when they came along. Started them young.

@kennelmom...19 is a large # of dogs! I wonder if you've tried prepackaging their meals? So, it's a freeze, thaw, drop in pan? I have a couple of friends who do it that way. Just thinking out loud...

Comment

I just need to calculate the Ca++ in the food! I know thats she needs about the same amout I do daily. So I added the eggshells and I may get bone meal powder to add to the food. Ill see. Eggshells are um, free though. Soooo...

Comment

We usually feed our guy raw, which isn't anymore costly than a high quality dog food.

I never really understood giving them veggies, since he's a carnivore. I've never seen him naturally try to eat greens, but does always try hunting the local game in neighborhood on walks. He's actually caught and ate a rabbit, opossum, and cat. Didn't let him eat the sat and tried to teach him not to be eating cats although that's the reason his previous owners didn't want him. He's definitely more of a hunter than most dogs and even uses entrapment techniques to trick his prey.

To try and keep him form hunting the cats i attempt to keep him filled on raw chicken (thighs, legs frozen to workout his teeth), beef(organs, knuckles, necks, ribs), and raw eggs.

People are always commenting how his poop is almost odorless and so clean.

Comment

Not sure how big your dog is, but if she's small you might want to try chicken necks...they require less chewing to get down and you can pretty easily cut them up into smaller pieces. We had a greyhound that really turned her nose up at RMBs...we started her out with ground chicken and bone and slowly added in bigger and bigger chunks of chicken backs until she was eating just the meat and bones and no ground. She was pretty finicky with most new raw foods so we had to introduce them (especially offal) by slowly mixing them in with other (ground) meat that she liked.

The rest of the hounds will eat pretty much anything raw! Sigh...I really wish we could go back to raw. My performance dogs had really great stamina and everyone's teeth and breath were perfect! Plus, I loved having pretty much no poop to pick up (a pretty big job with 19 big dogs).

eta: our picky little bugger is actually the hound in my avatar. My blind sighthound, Hanna! She's always been a quirky little thang LOL

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Haha I like the poop thing!

Okay well for now I have 1 month of THIS food, but maybe next batch Ill try all meat and see.

I was reading that for extra Ca++ you can REALLY cook a chicken until the bones are totally soft and then give them that?

Anyone know how to make homemeade bone supplement?

Comment

Kennelmom: she is like 7.5 lbs and a poodle. SHe tried to swallow a whole wing tip once (like 3.5 inches) and it was not good. It FREAKED me out. SHe just wont chew it! Is one vertabrae from a chicken neck, if swallowed whole, small enough for her digestive system???

Comment

Do NOT feed your dog cooked chicken bones. They get all the calcium they need from bones themselves. Cooked bones splinter. Please don't do that.

Dogs eat the stomach/guts of things they kill, which has pre-digested greens in it. If you feed veggies, cook them first which breaks down the cellular walls. Even with that, they don't need a lot. Spinach, carrots, sweet taters, any left over veggies we have that are about to go bad.

Google BARF and read up on some of the links. Like you, she doesn't need a daily exact amount of anything. Its the overall spread that matters. So, don't worry about her getting an exact amt of CA. Just feed her a well rounded diet and she'll be covered. Just like we are in PB!

Comment

Working...
                              X