Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's that time of year again.....!

....CRAWFISH SEASON!!!

okay, so maybe you aren't as excited if you don't live near South Louisiana.

But for an area that is exposed to AMAZING food all year long, we still get pumped up about little critters that live in the mud.

If you've never had Louisiana Crawfish (none of this Chinese nonsense)...then you should come visit and treat yourself. In fact, come during Mardi Gras and then stay for Crawfish season.

Best of all? They're totally primal!

Boiled in seasonings, lemons, onions, potatoes, andouille sausage, and whatever else you feel like throwing in. Lots of cayenne.

Skip the potatoes of course

Oh yeah, and I suck da heads! (now that's primal)

Anyone else live in south Louisiana?

Anyone else tried boiled crawfish?

I'll post this video in preparation for THAT question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqWipLPv9lw

semper ad meliora

I have a 1/2 sister in Baton Rouge, I tried Crawfish when I visited her, delicious!

Comment

sadly this yankee has never had a crawfish. i know i would love 'em. we get pretty excited about oyster season out on cape cod. SLURP.

Comment

Grew up in SouthEast Texas, been to many crawfish boils in my day! I love the way it smells, but im too lazy to get the meat out, usually id get someone else to break them open and give me the meat. Never could suck the head *shudder*

Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

I love mudbugs! I am attending two different boils this weekend. I can't wait to snap open those little suckers and watch all the tasty goodness ooze down my fingers. Everything about crawfish is awesome. I love the meat in the claws. I even love sucking the heads. This is easily my favorite food season.

I am in Houston so it is Rodeo time as well, so everyone seems to be smoking or grilling meat everywhere I go. It is a wonderful time to be primal!

Comment

Despite loving all real food generally, I find the veggies in the boil more appealing than the mud shrimp. As I call them.

Comment

Mmm, that looks yummy! Thanks for the tip, now I know the best time of year to visit Louisiana. Won't be for a few years yet, though...

Comment

**picks some veggies and sausage off The Gambit tablecloth and slinks away from the fishy smell**

Comment

@ Athena: I know what you mean by the smell, it sets off an uncontrollable craving.

I'd love to meet more Primals around South Louisiana or particularly Baton Rouge.

Perfect time to have a primal crawfish boil!

Any LSU Tigers around?

semper ad meliora

Comment

MMMMMMMMMMM!!!, I moved to NC from south MS... I miss crawfish sooo much. I am heading back down there to interview next friday. Hopefully I will get it and move back to enjoy crawfish season again.

Comment

I would love to try crawfish, but we get none around here.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
                      Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
                      I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Comment

*Raises hand* I live in Louisiana...live in Bayou Chicot and work in Lafayette.

Boiled crawfish...it is what was for dinner tonight. Though I did ask them to boil with less salt. I find most places overly salty now that I've gone primal. My husband does them the best...perfectly seasoned and with plenty of accessories (as we call them here) like mushrooms and baby carrots. I've never been able to suck the heads (shudder).

LSU and I have become very familiar. My daughter is attending LSU-Alexandria and my youngest is leaning toward LSU in Baton Rouge (he is a junior in high school now). Go Tigers!

Comment

I live in Western NY and we catch our own "crayfish" (as we call them) every year. They're not as big as the ones you can buy in the store. Made $20 last year on a dare that I wouldn't eat one whole- shell, head and all. I did... and it was GOOD.

Really looking forward to some crayfish this year once the weather warms up. Not quite in season up here yet.

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmmm I'm jealous! Sounds delicious, and louisiana is definitely on my list for "food vacays"!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
                            -John Lennon

Comment

Man, this takes me back! I used to live out on the edge of the bayou and LOVE me some down country boils.

Now I'm craving soft shell crabs...

Primal since February 2010. On seventh round of P90x.

My Blathering, Babbling Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X