Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is yogurt Primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is yogurt Primal?

    As yogurt is dairy, I'm thinking that it is not allowed. I've heard a lot about Greek yogurt lately and was wondering if that's OK?

  • #2
    If you can handle dairy, yogurt is wonderful (and PB acceptable). It is a "fermented" food rich in probiotics. If you can make it from raw milk, all the better! Just be sure the stuff you buy doesn't have added junk in it!
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

    Comment


    • #3
      You only hear about Greek yogurt because people have a need to eat something that feels like a desert, instead of getting their tastebuds in touch with what their bodies really want-a good wolemilk yogurt from pasture fed cows that is minimally pasturized and unhomogenized. The two best yogurts that fit into this category are Hawthorne Valley and Erivan.

      Greek yogurt is not the healthiest form available. Straining the whey compromises beneficial immune boosting proteins from whey and probiotic content. For this reason, greek yogurt will not be as easy on the stomach.

      Also, always go for full fat!

      Comment


      • #4
        I hope so, because I just followed my breakfast of bacon with a bowl of full fat plain yogurt drizzled with local organic honey and topped with frozen blueberries.
        Sandra
        *My obligatory intro

        There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

        DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

        Comment


        • #5
          thanks everyone. No greek but full fat plain yogurt for me.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by kmodell View Post
            As yogurt is dairy, I'm thinking that it is not allowed. I've heard a lot about Greek yogurt lately and was wondering if that's OK?
            If you make your own that is even better. This will get you on the right track and make you laugh and laugh and laugh at the same time. "Why and How to Make Yogurt: Another Deconstruction by the Mistresses of Mistakes [Kindle Edition]"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by morganpmiller View Post
              You only hear about Greek yogurt because people have a need to eat something that feels like a desert, instead of getting their tastebuds in touch with what their bodies really want-a good wolemilk yogurt from pasture fed cows that is minimally pasturized and unhomogenized. The two best yogurts that fit into this category are Hawthorne Valley and Erivan.
              How about Seven Stars?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kakes View Post
                If you can handle dairy, yogurt is wonderful (and PB acceptable). It is a "fermented" food rich in probiotics. If you can make it from raw milk, all the better! Just be sure the stuff you buy doesn't have added junk in it!
                Could we be more specific?
                The label on my brand says:
                Cultured low-fat pasteurized milk, pectin. Contains live and active cultures.

                The nutrition label says 13g of sugars, which I assume is from the glucose in the milk.

                I am guessing I can do better (find a better yogurt) but am I even close to being primal with the yogurt I have?

                Thanks,
                PBNewby
                Last edited by PBNewby; 10-03-2012, 08:03 PM.
                Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
                Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

                "I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
                "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
                "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
                "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug


                Comment


                • #9
                  the sugar is more likely lactose

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I like full fat Greek yoghurt! Primal doesn't forbid dairy if you don't have any problems digesting it, and I think yoghurt is a better way to consume dairy than milk (especially if you can't get it raw... which I can't). I wouldn't eat it all the time though (at least, for me, when I was having yoghurt my weight seemed to stall).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bron View Post
                      the sugar is more likely lactose
                      Yeah, sorry, I meant the sugar in milk comes from glucose as opposed to fructose.
                      Lactose is a disaccharide sugar that is found most notably in milk and is formed from galactose and glucose. (not fructose)

                      PBNewby
                      Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
                      Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

                      "I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
                      "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
                      "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
                      "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Terminology-wise, Paleo does not allow dairy. Primal does (with the obvious caveat of: "if you can tolerate it").
                        carl's cave

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X