Liver recipe that I don't hate :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liver recipe that I don't hate :)

I made this recipe tonight with some slight modifications using calf liver. I usually HATE liver and have tried about 15 recipes so far. I force myself to eat it whenever possible because of the health benefits. I don't know if it is the recipe or the fact that I used calf liver (have tried beef, sheep, and chicken livers in the past), but I have to say this was actually not too horrible. I can definitely eat this once a week. I topped it was LOTS of fresh chopped cilantro and lemon and had a little port to go along with it

Crispy Spiced Chicken Livers | theclothesmakethegirl
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

That sounds great. I've copied and pasted the recipe and will try them soon. Thanks for posting.

Here is another chicken liver recipe that I love. I did doctor it up a bit, such as adding bacon.

4-5 slices of bacon
    1 c. finely sliced onions
    2 whole cloves
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 lb. chicken livers
    2 tsp. ground sage
    2 tbsp. red wine vinegar

Pick over the chicken livers and remove any tough veins. Quarter the livers. Put them in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
    Fry the bacon until it is crispy.
    Drain all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the skillet; add onions and cloves, salt, and pepper. Toss and stir over medium heat for about 10 minutes. The onions should be browned and soft. Discard the cloves; keep the onions warm.
    Crumble the bacon into bits.
    Heat 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the livers one at a time.
    Cook, turning the livers as they brown. One batch of livers takes about 4-5 minutes to cook. Add the cooked onions, sage, salt, and pepper. Cook, shaking the skillet and tossing the livers so they will heat throughout. Add the vinegar and bacon bits; stir and blend well for about 2 minutes.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

I made the liver recipe again last night and this time I made this sauce to go with:

salt and freshly-ground black pepper
      3 tablespoons honey
      1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
      2 teaspoons gluten-free tamari or coconut aminos
      juice of 1/2 lemon
      2 tablespoons cider vinegar
      4 cloves garlic
      1/4 inch piece of garlic
      large handful of cilantro

Process everything in food processor or blender. Toss on the freshly cooked liver bits. I also used the same sauce to roast some marrow bones and some chicken legs. They all turned out really great!

So I managed to eat liver twice this week and bone marrow. I feeling primally quite proud
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Comment

Does the liver actually come out crispy?

LOL @ the forcing oneself to eat liver thing. I just make liver today for the same reason. Will try this next time!

Comment

Yes - it gets a little crispy on the outside - not super crunchy, but still pretty good. I fry it in ghee so it also has a nice buttery taste too.

Comment

oooh! I'm so glad you posted this! Liver is on my list to make this week, I wasn't going to do fried...clothesmakethegirl also has a lemon parsley one I was going to try. This looks great though. I may have to try it first!
            FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Comment

Proudly announces: Made a non-hidden liver dish today, which actually tasted really good. And it is quite simple too. I usually mince and hide any sort of liver in a meatloaf.
              My hypothesis was that chicken liver when sauteed with sweet tasting veggies like carrots and leek would take on some of the nice flavours. Did work out the way I wanted
              recipe: Sautée shallots, carrots and onions in CO until almost tender. Add chicken liver, fry briefly from both sides. Add fried egg on top.

Comment

Working...
              X