How could I like sardines?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How could I like sardines?

I'd really like to like them... I bought the fancy no-bpa-can ones. My dd likes them and eats them right out of the can, but they are just so... fishy! I like mild seafood (salmon, cod, shellfish), but have a hard time with stronger tasting fish. Sardines are so good for you, though, and definitely convenient. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Janeen

What brand did you get? I like Crown Prince in olive oil. I had to try several kinds before I found some I like.

Comment

How can you not like them? :d

I guess it's one of those things that you either love or hate. I love them since I was a kid . Did you maybe try with lots of fresh lemon juice? Takes a bit of the taste away. Or a few fishes in a large green salad?

Comment

If you are having trouble with the fishy taste, I recommend starting with the sardines packed in tomato sauce. It is less fishy and adds some flavor.

You can work your way to regular sardines from there if you want...

Comment

The ones in tomato sauce usually have vegetable oils and sugar

Eat them several times and you'll get used to the taste
          Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Check these creative sardine ideas out! All three involve bacon and all three look fantastic! lol

following my nose...: 3 ways to eat sardines (all involve bacon).
            The more I see the less I know for sure.
            -John Lennon

Comment

try kippered herrings. they seem a little milder to me. get the plain smoked ones.

i'll eat sardines but i don't really love them. I LOVE those little smoked herrings!

Comment

There are some in tomato sauce that I've found that don't have any added oils or anything.

When I first started eating them, I made something similar to tuna salad: chopped onion, celery, mixed with either Greek yogurt or mayonaisse. Now I like them plain or with some mustard on them.

Comment

I bought Wild Planet in olive oil. Thanks for the ideas.

I never would have thought of cooking them (since they are already cooked) or pairing them with bacon. I wonder if I could make my own tomato sauce for them and have it work. Has anyone done anything like that? I'm thinking that sardine and bacon salad sounds good...
                  Janeen

Comment

I love the ones in oil with the little green chili peppers in them .... yummmmmm !
                    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Comment

Sardines are a great staple to stock, I eat them almost daily.

Comment

Also, curried sardines:
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post542792

Comment

The ones in tomato sauce usually have vegetable oils and sugar
                          Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                          There are some in tomato sauce that I've found that don't have any added oils or anything.
                          Like Yodiewan said, you CAN find them without any non-primal substances in them. Just make sure you pay attention to the ingredients list.

Comment

I would recommend fresh sardines (not canned) if the canned variety don't do it for you. They're very mild and yummy. I like both of them, personally. Before primal, one of my favorite things was sardines with hot sauce on a cracker.
                            Visit my blog Primal Homeskillet. And eat it too.

Comment

Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                              Sardines are a great staple to stock, I eat them almost daily.
                              They ARE a great staple to stock... I just wish I liked them more so I'd actually eat them!
                              Janeen

Comment

Working...
                              X