Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to eat for breakfast?

Hey guys,

I haven't been primal for a long time. 6 months maybe and I feel crappy. I was in my last phase of High School or am, will be done in June. During this time I still ate primal meals, but also a lot of junkfood (burgers, pizza, etc.), drank a lot of alcohol (no red wine) and smoked cigarettes.

I want to feel good again and start living primal again.

Though now I don't know what to eat in the morning. If I eat it's either scrambled eggs or leftovers.
    I don't really feel good eating leftovers though. Any advice? Maybe some kind of primal cookies or protein bars or something? Shakes? Smoothies? Only nuts isn't enough. Thanks in advance.
    Grok from Germany

Primal since End/Beginning of 2010/2011

Smoothies can work. Use full fat coconut milk, frozen berries, a bunch of baby spinach and half a banana. Yum!

What's wrong with eggs and meat though, since you don't like leftovers?
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Comment

Originally posted by traintolive View Post
      Hey guys,

I haven't been primal for a long time. 6 months maybe and I feel crappy. I was in my last phase of High School or am, will be done in June...
      You were in your last phase of High School or are you in your last phase? If you can't determine that...

During this time I still ate primal meals, but also a lot of junkfood (burgers, pizza, etc.), drank a lot of alcohol (no red wine) and smoked cigarettes.
      Again you're talking in the past tense...

If you switch to eating only fresh foods, as organic as you can afford, I'm sure you'll be eating a healthier diet...especially without the cigarettes and alcohol (whether or not you're consuming the bad stuff now or previously)
      Last edited by primalkyle; 04-20-2012, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
        Smoothies can work. Use full fat coconut milk, frozen berries, a bunch of baby spinach and half a banana. Yum!

What's wrong with eggs and meat though, since you don't like leftovers?
        Thanks, I don't know baby spinach, but I will find out. Does normal spinach work also? Do I have to cook it before I throw it in? Do you use low fat churd cheese/curd in your smoothies? Do you put ice in it?

Thank you
        Grok from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by primalkyle View Post
          You were in your last phase of High School or are you in your last phase? If you can't determine that...

Again you're talking in the past tense...

If you switch to eating only fresh foods, as organic as you can afford, I'm sure you'll be eating a healthier diet...especially without the cigarettes and alcohol (whether or not you're consuming the bad stuff now or previously)
          Well thanks for trying to help and sorry I am not fulfilling your language ideals, but English isn't my first language and I wrote this text when I was quite tired and 2:30 in the morning.
          Grok from Germany

Comment

Any food you would eat any other time of the day makes a great breakfast. I love steak in the morning.

Comment

There's a bunch of "primal smoothies" on Toad's site and he's got a book/ebook that isn't too spendy with more, if you like smoothies.
              Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
              Friend me on "The Facebook"
              Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Comment

My favourite quick breakfast is natural yoghurt mixed with a 3 heaped teaspoons of raw cocoa powder, 2 teaspoons of honey and a chopped banana. Takes about 2 minutes to make.

I guess that flaked almonds or some nut butter would be a good addition.
                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Thanks, I don't know baby spinach, but I will find out. Does normal spinach work also? Do I have to cook it before I throw it in? Do you use low fat churd cheese/curd in your smoothies? Do you put ice in it?

Thank you
                  Regular spinach works fine. I make smoothies with frozen fruit then add whatever else to that. Do you have a food processor or blender? Process the frozen fruit until it's pretty well chopped up then add the spinach which I always add raw. For liquid you can add coconut milk or an other liquid. I also use whey protein powder in mine. If you eat dairy then a full fat yoghurt, I could buy Fage when I lived in the Netherlands, or kwark, which could be used in the smoothie or instead of, with berries or nuts. Also, you have nice sausages and raw ham there, which can be eaten, some cheese or olives. All of that can be chopped up and scrambled into the eggs as well.
                  Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

In the OPs defense, if he hasn't been primal for the last 6 months, that would fall in the school year meaning he is partially complete (was in last phase) and still has some of the year left (am in last phase.) In other words, his post was accurate and correct

Now for breakfast, we usually do eggs/meat or greek yogurt or smoothies and leave the leftovers for lunch.

Comment

Hello German Grok!

My mornings I usually have a *Gotta Get Used To It* Shake:

3C raw baby spinach (regular is also fine)
                      1/4 to 1/2 cup aloe vera JUICE (VERY good for your system and almost tasteless)
                      1 cup water or FRESH juice (carrot, apple and pineapple are my favs)
                      1-3 Tablspns Hemp Powder (for protein)
                      1 cup frozen fruit (usually bananas, strawberries, mango, peaches, pineapple, etc. Whatever floats my boat)
                      1 scoop of Greens Powder (I use Life's Greens From Puritans Pride but it's been discontinued)

I have a BlendTec (the same machine used at Starbucks) so everything gets blended down to liquid form easily. I'm not sure a regular blender would liquify it all however, if you are serious about better health, invest!

You can use any mix and match combination of greens (spinach, kale, etc) and fruit you like. If you start out with 3 cups of greens in the morning, you've already met your daily veggie quota (pyramid standards).

Plus, there's always steak and eggs, bacon and eggs, sausage and eggs, ham and eggs, omelets, egg muffins, fiber muffins, protein bars (made with egg white powder, coconut oil and flaked, almond butter, almond flour, etc).

Just keep one mantra in mind: If you can't eat it RAW, don't eat it AT ALL!
                      If you do not stand behind your military, feel free to stand in front of them!

EMAIL ME!

Comment

Thank you
                        Any type of spinach will work. You don't have to cook it. I don't. BUT, if you lightly steam it then it will neutralize the oxalic acid which is an antinutrient. I don't take the time to do this but may start soon since I eat so much spinach. Buy organic spinach if you can - greens are the first product foods to buy organic.

Other greens that are great are chard and kale. I need to experiment more with others.

LOW FAT?! Nooo!! Use full fat everything. If you can tolerate dairy then use organic or grass-fed yogurt, sour cream, heavy cream, etc. Or raw milk if you can source it!

Originally posted by ASmallOne View Post
                        There's a bunch of "primal smoothies" on Toad's site and he's got a book/ebook that isn't too spendy with more, if you like smoothies.
                        I do have a toadally kick ass ebook called Toadally Primal Smoothies that has sold more than 1000 copies plus 700 copies on the kindle. It's $17 with free, lifetime updates and a lifetime 100% money back guarantee but I am going to be generous and hand out a $10 off discount code for everyone reading this forum thread.

The discount code is mda and will expire at random (as early as Monday). Learn more about it here: http://primalsmoothies.com/tps. You can preview recipes for free on that same site. And, if you have any questions then do not hesitate to ask me!

I have an iPhone app out too now that comes with free lifetime updates. Just search for "primal smoothies." It's $3.99 and seems to be more valuable then the ebook which is $17. Go figure.

The kindle version is $3.99 too. I plan on having this version updated asap now - I just emailed my designer.

Ok, perhaps I went off on too much of a tangent. I just want to let you all know what is available. No need to purchase anything since I have about 2 dozen recipes for free on one blog and many more on my other one. I add one new recipe each week.
                        Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Bacon and eggs.

Or, if you want to change things up, eggs and bacon.

Comment

Though now I don't know what to eat in the morning. If I eat it's either scrambled eggs or leftovers.
                            I don't really feel good eating leftovers though. Any advice?
                            Yeah, breakfast was the hard one for us too. Here's what we have settled on:

1. Bacon/Sausages/Mushrooms/Tomatoes and Eggs fried in ghee
                            2. Stir fried veges (onions, garlic, capsicums, broccoli, courgettes) in ghee
                            3. Corned beef with onions and carrots
                            4. Last night's leftovers
                            5. Porridge (backup, as a last resort)
                            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Working...
                            X