Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paleo Musings Chili

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Paleo Musings Chili

    Wanna rock some chipotle chili this weekend?

    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

    We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

  • #2
    Sound recipe, that!

    My old tried and tested Chilli Con Carne was a pound of beef mince, one onion, one can of tomato, one can of red kidney beans and then the chillies.

    Since refining my diet to ancestral eating, I follow much the same recipe, but the meat is more like a couple of pounds and the colour is brought in with peppers, even aubergine "beans".

    I've read all sorts about "spice dumps", but in the end, I like cayenne pepper, black pepper, paprika and some celery salt as the main dump, initially. I add fresh chillies - Scotch Bonnet pepper, usually. I also add oregano. And, my secret ingredient: paleo chocolate - just a cube. This brings a real subtle background flavour which just rounds everything else out.

    Leftovers ... omelette for breakfast, or a Cowboy Soup for dinner.

    Again, sound recipe - how did you eat it? Over cauli rice? In lettuce wraps? I hope there was an avocado accompanying somewhere ...
    Paul
    http://www.pjgh.co.uk
    http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

    "... needs more fish!"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by pjgh View Post
      Sound recipe, that!

      My old tried and tested Chilli Con Carne was a pound of beef mince, one onion, one can of tomato, one can of red kidney beans and then the chillies.

      Since refining my diet to ancestral eating, I follow much the same recipe, but the meat is more like a couple of pounds and the colour is brought in with peppers, even aubergine "beans".

      I've read all sorts about "spice dumps", but in the end, I like cayenne pepper, black pepper, paprika and some celery salt as the main dump, initially. I add fresh chillies - Scotch Bonnet pepper, usually. I also add oregano. And, my secret ingredient: paleo chocolate - just a cube. This brings a real subtle background flavour which just rounds everything else out.

      Leftovers ... omelette for breakfast, or a Cowboy Soup for dinner.

      Again, sound recipe - how did you eat it? Over cauli rice? In lettuce wraps? I hope there was an avocado accompanying somewhere ...
      Really - chocolate? Your chili sounds really good! I have a chocolate chili recipe from WELL FED, but have not tried it. I've put coffee in chili before but not chocolate. Tell me more? Can you taste the chocolate flavor or does it bring out/deepen the other flavors?

      We eat our chili straight sometimes or avocado on the side, or even over spaghetti squash or I especially like it over a sweet potato
      FaceBook: PaleoMusings

      We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

      Comment


      • #4
        I luuuuurve avocado slices on top of chili. Mmmmmm!

        My secret ingredient is parmesan rind. I throw the rinds into the freezer when the cheese has been finished, and chuck it into the pot while the chili simmers. It rocks! Damn, now I want chili!!!
        The more I see the less I know for sure.
        -John Lennon

        Comment


        • #5
          You don't taste the chocolate - it's just there to deepen the background and kind of deepen all the high and low notes. I make my chocolate up from cocoa powder and coconut oil, kept in the freezer to keep it stable - it's a high percent chocolate, I guess, and a lot cheaper than bought "high percentage" chocolate.

          We have a Chilli every Friday night, usually with guac, Greek-style yoghurt, some kind of salsa and huge cos lettuce wraps. Love it! Never get bored of it.
          Paul
          http://www.pjgh.co.uk
          http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

          "... needs more fish!"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pjgh View Post
            You don't taste the chocolate - it's just there to deepen the background and kind of deepen all the high and low notes. I make my chocolate up from cocoa powder and coconut oil, kept in the freezer to keep it stable - it's a high percent chocolate, I guess, and a lot cheaper than bought "high percentage" chocolate.

            We have a Chilli every Friday night, usually with guac, Greek-style yoghurt, some kind of salsa and huge cos lettuce wraps. Love it! Never get bored of it.
            Oh - making your own chocolate and keeping it in the freezer is a great idea! Do you do it in ice cube trays or...? How much chocolate would you add for a 5 or 6 qt pot?

            We do paleo pizza every Friday. Seems like we do chili about every 3rd week, but we all miss it. Needs to be more often I think!
            FaceBook: PaleoMusings

            We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

            Comment


            • #7
              Oh - just saw your link to your blog entry. You already covered it there. Thanks!
              FaceBook: PaleoMusings

              We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

              Comment


              • #8
                I made this recipe today:
                The Food Lab: Real Texas Chili Con Carne | Serious Eats

                I used some tapioca starch in place of the corn flour. It didn't seem to thicken it much, but it was still delicious. A touch of chocolate, like you guys have been talking about, would go well with this recipe in my opinion.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Funnily enough, tonight were NOT having Chilli - I'll be doing some Fish Tacos (Gem Lettuce for the "shells").

                  Anyway, next time I make Chilli, I'll do it your way ... so, a few questions:

                  1. Small can of mushrooms - I guess these are button mushrooms. Fresh ones will suffice, I'm sure, but just wanted to know are they chopped or dropped in whole?

                  2. Can of tomato paste - is this thick, like I'd call "Tomato Puree" here in the UK, or sloppy, like I'd call "Passatta" ... or even a slurry, like I'd call "Chopped Tomato"? I usually puree the onion, garlic, ginger and tomato.

                  3. Sausages - are these cooked in whole, or skinned and in there as just the meat? That'd be a pork and beef Chilli.

                  I'm really looking forward to this - it'll make a really fun change from my usual.

                  Originally posted by curlygirl View Post
                  Oh - just saw your link to your blog entry. You already covered it there. Thanks!
                  Yeah, kept in a ramekin, which if scalded out with boiling water first and dried with a piece of kitchen towel provides the perfect non-stick. After the choccy is poured in and it chills, it shrinks, so inverting, it will just drop out with a gentle tap.

                  Cutting is hard and you do need a sharp knife. Keep your fingers out of the way!

                  To answer the other question, I use about an inch square cube per couple of pounds of meat.
                  Paul
                  http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                  http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

                  "... needs more fish!"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by pjgh View Post
                    Funnily enough, tonight were NOT having Chilli - I'll be doing some Fish Tacos (Gem Lettuce for the "shells").

                    Anyway, next time I make Chilli, I'll do it your way ... so, a few questions:

                    1. Small can of mushrooms - I guess these are button mushrooms. Fresh ones will suffice, I'm sure, but just wanted to know are they chopped or dropped in whole?

                    2. Can of tomato paste - is this thick, like I'd call "Tomato Puree" here in the UK, or sloppy, like I'd call "Passatta" ... or even a slurry, like I'd call "Chopped Tomato"? I usually puree the onion, garlic, ginger and tomato.

                    3. Sausages - are these cooked in whole, or skinned and in there as just the meat? That'd be a pork and beef Chilli.

                    I'm really looking forward to this - it'll make a really fun change from my usual.



                    Yeah, kept in a ramekin, which if scalded out with boiling water first and dried with a piece of kitchen towel provides the perfect non-stick. After the choccy is poured in and it chills, it shrinks, so inverting, it will just drop out with a gentle tap.

                    Cutting is hard and you do need a sharp knife. Keep your fingers out of the way!

                    To answer the other question, I use about an inch square cube per couple of pounds of meat.
                    Sounds good. Thanks!

                    Your questions: mushrooms: sliced, tomato paste is much thicker than a sauce and comes in 6oz cans around here. You can put it on a spoon and turn it upside down without it really falling off - at least not without a big clump. The ingredients list should read something like: tomatoes, citric acid. The sausages were hot and spicy big sausages like kilbasa - in a casing. Ours are about 1/4 lb per sausage/kilbasa link. This is a picture of a similar sausage. Not skinned, just sliced. The ones we use are very spicy and add a lot of flavor and spice to the chili.
                    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

                    We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This looks great! I pinned it: http://pinterest.com/pin/91690542383722552/
                      my blog

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ournaturaljourney View Post
                        This looks great! I pinned it: Recipes to Try / paleo musings chili
                        thanks! Love your blog and pinterest board
                        FaceBook: PaleoMusings

                        We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I made this up this evening and ... very good indeed!

                          Different to my usual blend, I'd sought out some good chipotle which brought a really mysterious depth to the dish. I deviated on the sausages, getting in some venison and red wine sausages, which brought a sweetness to work with the red wine vinegar.

                          I couldn't recall if the mushrooms wanted slicing, but they were a good size to compliment the slices sausages, so went in whole. My Mrs really enjoyed it, I did ... so, success!

                          We ate it in bowls, with guac, Greek yoghurt, Manchego cheese and cos leaves alongside, making up a couple of "boats", but mostly just eaten from the bowl.

                          Much enjoyed! Many thanks.

                          Paul
                          http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                          http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

                          "... needs more fish!"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by pjgh View Post
                            I made this up this evening and ... very good indeed!

                            Different to my usual blend, I'd sought out some good chipotle which brought a really mysterious depth to the dish. I deviated on the sausages, getting in some venison and red wine sausages, which brought a sweetness to work with the red wine vinegar.

                            I couldn't recall if the mushrooms wanted slicing, but they were a good size to compliment the slices sausages, so went in whole. My Mrs really enjoyed it, I did ... so, success!

                            We ate it in bowls, with guac, Greek yoghurt, Manchego cheese and cos leaves alongside, making up a couple of "boats", but mostly just eaten from the bowl.

                            Much enjoyed! Many thanks.

                            Beautiful!! Love your variations. Yum!!
                            FaceBook: PaleoMusings

                            We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X