Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kombucha dangers - afraid to brew my own!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kombucha dangers - afraid to brew my own!

There are stories online about deaths, liver failure and heart trouble, etc from kombucha. It's the improper home-brewing to blame, I suspect. Aside from starting with a good scoby and following sterile procedure, and checking the pH, are there any other steps to take to make sure I don't brew some aspergillus or anthrax? Is it obvious if I do get contaminants?
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Worry not. Brewing booch is perfectly safe, even in less than perfect conditions. It's practically foolproof. (I should know!)

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the assurance. I just wonder what those few unlucky victims did wrong.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

People die in car crashes, it's in the paper/on the net/on the TV all the time. Do you use a car?

Seriously, people have been making these types of things for generations... just do it.
        Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
        Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
        Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
        Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Comment

Ha-ha. Yeah, that's what the Vic Timmons (old mentor I had) in my head is yelling.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I've made tons of kombucha. It's very forgiving. I kept things clean, but not sterile, and never checked pH, and haven't killed anyone. Seriously, I don't think it is any different from anything else fermented - sauerkraut, yogurt, etc. Go for it!

Oh, if your scoby gets big black spots, don't panic. Just get a new one.
            Janeen

Comment

One - make sure you know what "good" kombucha smells and tastes like. This probably requires buying a bottle at the store.

Two - trust your instincts. If it smells bad, ditch it.

My first batch was great. And cheap. Still waiting to make my second. Unfortunately, the caffeine didn't do me any favors. So even though I love my booch (nice nickname, Diane), I need to try and make it with something that won't give me a caffeine spike. I'm going to try with rooibos. Wish me luck!
              Steph
              My Primal Meanderings

Comment

I'm in the final stages of growing my own scoby. It's getting thick and looks very healthy. I agree with others, kombucha is very forgiving. There are dangers with just about doing anything yourself. Be sure to familiarize yourself with what mold on a scoby looks like. Good luck!
                Primal Journal of a Filipino Cherokee Grok
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53103.html

SAD weight: 250
                Current Primal weight: 183.2

Comment

Yep, it's a scoby. Was just a piece of white fluff, now it covers most of the surface.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Interesting stuff I'm reading, thanks. I'll have to try some more Kombucha to see if I should pick up a scoby, myself.
                    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                      It's practically foolproof. (I should know!)
                      Seconded.

Comment

I just racked off 3.5 gallons of kombucha. Tasted awesome. Give it a whirl!
                        Primal Journal of a Filipino Cherokee Grok
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53103.html

SAD weight: 250
                        Current Primal weight: 183.2

Comment

I am gonna have to try this stuff. Store bought first I guess, I dont remember ever even seeing it before. Probably just looked over it.
                          65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

Now up to two gallons brewing, staggered a week apart. Got my first liter on a second ferment, added two tsp. sugar and it fizzed right away, so I screwed the lid on and I'm going to wait two to three days to let the sugar get digested. And for the fizz. Sweet fizz.

I have one scoby I grew myself from a bottle of Brew Dr., which was the best tasting kombucha until a week ago when it disappeared from shelves. I do not know if it was pre 2010 formula or not. BUT my sister also bought me a scoby from Goldfinch Kombucha that IS pre 2010, so now I get to taste the difference between the traditional friendship version and a possibly reformulated version. The first brewing of the Brew Dr. formula definitely produced ungodly amounts of yeast - which might be normal. I have yet to gain the experience to be sure. But the Goldfinch brew is now seven days old and doesn't have even remotely the yeast load as the Brew Dr. did. It will be fun comparing the flavors.

Now, for the hard part. Drilling a hole in my acrylic aquarium to install a nozzle so I can brew massive quantities to sell locally. I'm about to get rid of my fishkeeping hobby, I think.
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I love my kombucha! It literally soothes any stomach upset I have. I havnt heard of many problems with it. I think people make themselves sick by drinking too much.

Anyone know how much sugar remains after a 30 day brewing cycle?

Comment

Working...
                              X