• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Booze

So I stumbled across this:

How to Make Alcohol From Coconut Water | eHow.com

Booze made from coconut water.

1. Has anyone ever made this?
    2. Would unsweetened coconut water work?
    3. Only using 1/2 cup sugar (yes I know, no need to say thats non-primal) that yields about 20 2oz shots, how strong could it be and could the carb content be extremely low?

I want to try it just to add the title of moonshiner to my resume.

the yeasties eat the sugar so that's all good

but i tried coconut water once and it tasted like rotten apple juice. the thought of what it would taste like after alcoholization terrifies me
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bobert View Post
      So I stumbled across this:

How to Make Alcohol From Coconut Water | eHow.com

Booze made from coconut water.

1. Has anyone ever made this?
      2. Would unsweetened coconut water work?
      3. Only using 1/2 cup sugar (yes I know, no need to say thats non-primal) that yields about 20 2oz shots, how strong could it be and could the carb content be extremely low?

I want to try it just to add the title of moonshiner to my resume.
      Omg that's amazing! I love coconut water. Totally gonna try this, thanks for the post!

And the longer you let it sit, the stronger it'll be so that would be up to you. Plus I'm pretty sure unsweetened coconut water would be fine, I had assumed that's what they wanted with the recipe.
      "The mountains are calling and I must go."
      --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
      --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
      --Hyperlithic

Comment

Please let me know how yours turns out.

Comment

Same here - definitely interested in the results!
          Primal Journal of a Filipino Cherokee Grok
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53103.html

SAD weight: 250
          Current Primal weight: 183.2

Comment

How many cups or ounces do you think one package of brewers yeast?

Comment

Booze from coconuts is a very popular drink called Feni, in Goa, a state in India. Apparently there's a company in CA that sells it (I have no affiliation, nor I have tasted it - just found it just now, while searching for the wiki link and thought it might be helpful)

Feni is also made from the fruit of the cashew tree, and that version is more potent smell wise, and effect wise :-)

Comment

OMFG. I can't believe this hasn't come up on the forums earlier. I definitely want to see the end result of this! I wonder how much you could alter the taste, though. Most alcohols come in different brands.. I wonder if that would even be possible with coconut water? What goes with coconut water? O.o

Comment

A beach, hot sun and Mark Sisson doing lunges .......
                  I don't ask that you like me - all I ask is that you respect my life experiences and i will do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by MIstressKiki View Post
                    A beach, hot sun and Mark Sisson doing lunges .......
                    Hahahahah +10000000
                    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
                    --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
                    --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
                    --Hyperlithic

Comment

Originally posted by deburn View Post
                      Booze from coconuts is a very popular drink called Feni, in Goa, a state in India. Apparently there's a company in CA that sells it (I have no affiliation, nor I have tasted it - just found it just now, while searching for the wiki link and thought it might be helpful)

Feni is also made from the fruit of the cashew tree, and that version is more potent smell wise, and effect wise :-)
                      Coconut feni is good. I did not like the cashew version.
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

You can get some homebrew yeasts that will now continue to survive up to the low 20 percent alcohol (dunno what that is in proof). To determine potential alcohol, you need a hydrometer - this will measure the amount of sugar in the water and tell you, based on starting and potential ending sugar readings, how much alcohol you'll produce.

Offtopic - hey, Kiki. Another Bradford primal here
                        Paul
                        http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                        http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                          Coconut feni is good. I did not like the cashew version.
                          Agreed!

Comment

Well, has anyone started to make a batch yet? I am still confused about what kind of yeast to get.

Comment

Bobert.

Your best bet would be Champagne Yeast.

***In my bestest innocent voice*** I MAY know someone who used champagne yeast to make Closet Hooch while stationed overseas.

In a gallon container with a lid, add 1/2 - 1 cup sugar (to your taste and level of alcohol content) to 3 quarts juice of choice (coconut water works as well). Shake the mixture VERY well. You want all the sugar to be dissolved. And honey or agave nectar would work as well, but not synthetic sugar, like Splenda.

Add in the yeast (again, 1/2-1 package depending on how much you want your alcohol level to be). Shake well to dissolve the yeast. Once you've done that, LIGHTLY put top on the container (you want gas to be able to escape) and put in a cool, dark place (hence, your closet). Check every day for *bubbling* (that's the yeast eating) but no need to disturb unless all the yeasties are at the bottom. Then you can screw on the lid and shake just to agitate and remix.

By day 5 the mix should be coconut *punch*. Either pour mixture through cheesecloth or something else to strain off the crap that has settled on the bottom. You DO NOT want to drink this stuff! It will make you HUGELY SICK (or so I've heard).

Pour strained mix into any container and put it in the fridge! VOILA!
                              If you do not stand behind your military, feel free to stand in front of them!

EMAIL ME!

Comment

Working...
                              X