Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people use sweeteners in paleo recipes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people use sweeteners in paleo recipes?

I think it's kinda stupid to use maple syrup or something instead of sugar in a recipe. It doesn't make it healthier

Agreed. BUT maple sugar tastes better with some things like pumpkin or squash if you are making it for a sweet treat.

On the fence about the palm/coconut sugar. Is it healthier or not? Has more minerals, has less sugar spike effects....

Comment

Things like maple syrup may be "less bad" than other sugar options. You're right, everyone SHOULD keep their "sugar and sugar alternatives" to a minimum. But people like sweet.

I just ignore when people post desserts that are "primal" but still use piles of honey, stevia, and maple syrup.
      carl's cave

Comment

cant u just skip that ingredient and not complain about what other people do?

Comment

not everyone cooks only for themselves. i make a batch of sweet treats for my son every week because he goes to school and all of his friends get SEVERAL treats at mealtime. he gets one homemade gluten free cookie. i'm not going to NOT put sugar in that, because what would the point be? ya know? recently i made a chocolate mousse pie for an Easter potluck. I put in maybe 2 T of sugar (in addition to the sugar which was already in the 60% cocoa solids chocolate chips). sure that pie was less healthy than steak and swiss chard, but significantly better than an angel food cake or something. *shrug*
          my primal journal:
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Originally posted by cookie View Post
            cant u just skip that ingredient and not complain about what other people do?
            Apparently not.
            People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

ABOUT AGAVE NECTAR:

All About Agave - Agave Nectar vs. Granular Sugars

lower glycemic- instead of the constant "spikes" people get while eating sugar like white sugar, brown sugar, etc and you don't need a lot to sweeten things at all love it

Why do I use it??? hmmm above info pretty much covers it and it is NATURAL.. not trying to be all biatch on you but seriously? You need to see me when I am having mad PMS and need a sweet fix ( which I might add is often a banana with cinnamon with a small drizzle of agave) I think there is nothing wrong with having something sweet here and there- it's not the end of a paleo diet- I also don't mind a every other weekend splurge of coconut flour pancakes with REAL maple syrup- processed sugar or REAL maple syrup- hmm you choose? Isn't the whole reason why we all choose to eat primal/ paleo to have real foods I am not saying we need to be gluttonous and drink bottles of the maple syrup(gag!)but every once awhile something sweet is quite nice.... my two cents

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

Originally posted by LexxyV86 View Post
                ABOUT AGAVE NECTAR:

All About Agave - Agave Nectar vs. Granular Sugars

lower glycemic- instead of the constant "spikes" people get while eating sugar like white sugar, brown sugar, etc and you don't need a lot to sweeten things at all love it

Why do I use it??? hmmm above info pretty much covers it and it is NATURAL.. not trying to be all biatch on you but seriously? You need to see me when I am having mad PMS and need a sweet fix ( which I might add is often a banana with cinnamon with a small drizzle of agave) I think there is nothing wrong with having something sweet here and there- it's not the end of a paleo diet- I also don't mind a every other weekend splurge of coconut flour pancakes with REAL maple syrup- processed sugar or REAL maple syrup- hmm you choose? Isn't the whole reason why we all choose to eat primal/ paleo to have real foods I am not saying we need to be gluttonous and drink bottles of the maple syrup(gag!)but every once awhile something sweet is quite nice.... my two cents
                Agave nectar has more fructose than HFCS

I see no need for sweeteners, natural or artificial. Wasn't always so. It's amazing how you begin to taste the little sweetness in many foods when you stop poisoning your palate
                Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I find artificial sweeteners and sweet tastes in general to be addicting and escalating. A little bit of stevia, justified, turns into a daily habit faster than I can stop it. As for using maple syrups etc. I can't do this because of my diabetes. But I think that if one craves sweets and finds them addicting as I do, it might be easier to allow oneself a large treat on something really desireable rather than daily inclusion of semi-tasty treats. For example, if I weren't diabetic, I might say that I'll get a monthly Starbucks flavored drink with all the goodies-- whip,etc.-- rather than daily having a black coffee and an almost untasteable amount of alternative sweetener in it.
                  IMO, sweets are "treats"-- to let them become habits is part of why we deal with stuff like food addiction...
                  Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
                  Friend me on "The Facebook"
                  Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Comment

Originally posted by patricewmccullough
                    To each his or her own, I guess. Some people just prefer it that way. It may or may not add nutritional value, but it might affect the taste of the dish(es).
                    Agree with this - there's nothing wrong with sweet treats - so long as people are mindful of the fact that a paleo brownie is still a brownie with nut flour and honey/maple syrup instead of wheat flour and white sugar. It's not "healthy", nor a weight-loss food nor a food to enjoy every day - it's a treat, just like the equivalent non-paleo version for someone that doesn't eat paleo.

Comment

From Livestrong.com

Pure maple syrup is the product of the sap from sugar maple, red maple or black maple trees. The syrup is made by collecting a quantity of sap and then carefully boiling it without chemicals or preservatives until the sap is reduced to a syrup. Pure maple syrup should not be confused with "pancake syrup" or "waffle syrup," most of which is comprised of high fructose corn syrup and imitation maple flavorings. Recently, researchers at the University of Rhode Island discovered the pure maple syrup contains more than 20 compounds that offer health benefits to humans.
                      Cancer Prevention

Researchers have suggested that the compounds contained within pure maple syrup offer cancer prevention benefits. A study performed at Université du Québec à Chicoutimi in Canada revealed that the antioxidant capabilities of pure maple syrup were effective at inhibiting the damage that is caused by nitric oxide. The ability to inhibit overproduction of nitric oxide will also prevent the proliferation of cancer cells. This study also suggests the cancer fighting properties are greater if the syrup is of darker color rather than a clear color.

Diabetes

Recent studies also suggest that the consumption of pure maple syrup may also be effective in lowering blood glucose levels. According to United Press International, pure maple syrup contains a significant concentration of abscisic acid. Abscisic acid is a chemical that promotes insulin secretion of the pancreas and increases the insulin sensitivity of fat cells. The presence of abscisic acid and the qualities it possesses allow pure maple syrup to be an effective treatment against diabetes.
                      Cardiac Benefits

Pure maple syrup is very rich in many essential vitamins and minerals, especially zinc. A study performed by the Department of Medicine at the University of Turku in Finland suggests there is a direct relationship between low serum zinc levels and incidence of cardiovascular heart disease. The results of the study confirmed that low serum zinc levels is a risk factor for cardiovascular heart disease in diabetic and non-diabetic patients. The zinc concentration in pure maple syrup can regulate serum zinc levels and reduce the risk of cardiovascular heart disease.

Read more: What Are The Health Benefits Of Pure Maple Syrup? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Read more: What Are The Health Benefits Of Pure Maple Syrup? | LIVESTRONG.COM
                      Female 5'5", Feb. 29, 2012 SW 208, GW 160
                      My journal...
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post734883

Comment

Why do people comment on this forum, pretending they read the primal blueprint and Mark's blog posts? I hate that

Is Honey Good for You? | Mark's Daily Apple

Of course, any sugar should be used in strict moderation, but it’s clear not all sweeteners are Primally equal.

Read more: The Definitive Guide to Sugar | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Arsenic is natural too. Agave is one of the most glycating sweeteners out there. Blows table sugar and HFCS out of the water. It's a waste product of tequila manufacturing. I don't eat/advocate maple syrup, but at least maple syrup comes pretty directly from a tree. You tap it, boil it down, and voila. That's not remotely the case with agave.
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I have no problem with judiciously using honey and maple syrup. They're both a far sight better than cane sugar or artificial sweeteners. I crave less and less sugar as time goes by, the if I DO want a small amount, I let myself. Allowing myself that packet of raw sugar in an iced coffee a few times a month makes me feel less deprived and LESS likely to binge, and there's just no way I'm giving up the maple syrup on the coconut/flax pancakes and bacon I have as my Saturday morning treat.
                            I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
                            Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
                            "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

Not all of us have problems with binges or food addiction. I can eat a sweet treat now and then, and using honey or maple syrup is much better than using an artificial sweetener or bleached white sugar in my opinion. My teaspoon of honey in my coconut milk chai has not created a problem for me in fat loss, nor has a little maple syrup on some coconut flour pancakes once or twice a month or a bit of it in some custard.
                              “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X