No announcement yet.

Ice Cream

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a Cuisinart ice cream maker (pre-PB) and still use it, mostly in summer, and don't fret the sugar. It's a splurge. Cream, milk, sugar, vanilla. Add in or top with fresh summer berries. My dietary choices are good enough the rest of the time that an occasional ice cream with a small amount of sugar isn't going to derail me.

Comment

I was searching for ice cream recipes (gave up artificial sweetener) and was searching YouTube and came across
      this video --- decided, the hell with it. I'm not kidding myself any longer. To hell with it -- I don't need ice cream. Truth be told, I probably can't handle a normal amount of ice cream -- I'd want the entire batch.

Last edited by Chatty; 04-17-2012, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chatty View Post
        I believe you. So the complete recipe looks like?:
        Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
        Choco, do you have your custard recipe? The folding in whipped cream sounds brilliant.

Also... I always read NOT to add too much alcohol or it won't freeze (was a bit conservative on my bourbon pumpkin ice cream)....It makes me happy to know I can make boozy ice cream. Damn- peach brandy, chocolate rum, BAILEYS. Disarrano and cherry. Awesome.

Now to move some meat around and get my maker in the freezer.
        What I'm about to tell you is top secret, not unlike nuclear launch codes.

2 cups heavy cream
        2 cups 2% milk/whole milk OR 1 14oz can full-fat coconut milk
        1 cup kefir
        6 egg yolks
        1 whole vanilla bean
        1/4 cup 80 proof vodka OR (1/8 cup 80 proof spiced rump + 1/8 cup 80 proof vodka) if you like rum flavor
        1 packet unflavored gelatin (like Knox gelatin) + 3-4 tablespoons milk/coconut milk
        Sweetener to taste (I recommend 1/4 cup organic coconut/palm sugar + stevia to taste)

Heat 1 cup heavy cream and 1 cup of milk/1 can of coconut milk over low/med heat until steaming but not very hot. Reserve 1 cup of cold milk on the side. Whip egg yolks together in a mixing bowl and while mixing, slowly temper the egg yolks by pouring the hot milk mixture a little at a time while whisking vigorously. It is important to add the mixture slowly, around 1/4 cup at a time, at first while whisking vigorously so you don't scramble your egg yolks. After all milk is incorporated, pour in 1 cup reserved cold milk to halt the cooking process.

Return the milk/egg mixture to very low heat. Slice vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out all the vanilla beans in the center and add to the egg/milk mixture. Toss in the bean pod as well. Heat very slowly until light bubbles start to form around the edge of the pot. Do not simmer the mixture and for God's sake don't boil it. Make sure you're stirring frequently and slowly to keep the custard from sticking or curdling. Once bubbles form around the edges, remove from heat and set on the countertop.

At this point, add your sweetener. Do it to taste, but realize you still have a cup of heavy cream and a cup of kefir to add in, so you're going to want it to be significantly sweeter than you'd normally like it. Allow the custard to cool to room temperature, then add your kefir and allow it to sit overnight in the refrigerator to cool completely and thicken.

The next day, do this right before churning:

Whip remaining 1 cup heavy whipping cream until double to triple in volume.

Heat 3-4 tablespoons of milk until warm. Dissolve one packet of unflavored gelatin completely in the warm milk.

Remove vanilla bean from chilled custard and SQUEEZE the bean into the custard to get all the oil and flavor out. Add in alcohol, dissolved gelatin and fold in the whipped heavy cream. Churn according to manufacturer's directions.

It sounds complicated, but it's simple once you do it once or twice and it's a lot of fun. I add kefir because it adds a really nice tang to the mixture and it helps thicken it a little overnight. If you want a pure ice cream experience, replace the kefir with another 1/2 cup heavy cream + 1/2 cup milk/coconut milk. You will need a 4-quart ice cream maker for this size recipe.
        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Thanks you -- I'll save the recipe for a "special day" indeed

Comment

probably already mentioned in the thread, but i don't care to go back and look:
            i made "ice cream" today by blending frozen bananas and cocoa powder (until finely "chopped") then blending in a touch of milk. the kids and i loved it; mr. toddler was screaming for more. i wish i had a cuisinart or something so i could make bigger batches.
            my primal journal:
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

I'm with you

Originally posted by Chatty View Post
              I was searching for ice cream recipes (gave up artificial sweetener) and was searching YouTube and came across
              this video --- decided, the hell with it. I'm not kidding myself any longer. To hell with it -- I don't need ice cream. Truth be told, I probably can't handle a normal amount of ice cream -- I'd want the entire batch.

I'm on my 21st day of primal eating, have lost 10 pounds, and can't even THINK about eating anything remotely close to real ice cream! I too would want the entire batch! I'll stick to my berries and coconut milk in the blender, which is delicious.

Comment

yes, whenever i have real ice cream in the house, i end up eating the entire tub myself. my poor kiddos.
                my primal journal:

Comment

A splash of vanilla does wonders for that banana ice cream stuff, as well.
                  You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

i'm sure, but i was out. i thought about adding almond extract, i bet that would be yummy as well.
                    my primal journal:

Comment

I don't use any sweetener in my ice cream and I've never had this problem. I have a Cuisinart ice cream maker. However, they end up icy if I stick them in the freezer. To me, this just means I need to eat it all right away. My favorite flavors to make are berry and chocolate chimp (similar to Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey).
                      my blog

Comment

I make the blended frozen banana icecream with a dab of full fat greek yoghurt and a dab of vanilla bean paste. If the banana was a bit green I sometimes sweeten a bit with a vanilla stevia liquid. Sprinkle with some walnuts and dark chips (just like B&J's Chubby Hubby). SO GOOD!!!
                        Sometimes I add other fruit, like frozen peaches or black cherries (and leave off the toppings), and then it tastes more like a rich fruit frozen yogurt.
                        Been eating this forever, way before PB, since I'm lactose intolerant of non-Raw store bought milk products.
                        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                        X