Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help - kefir and advice, where to get, etc???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help - kefir and advice, where to get, etc???

So I need kefir help! I would like to make some, and have absolutely no idea where to get a good starter.

Second problem: what books are good resources (gaps? nourishing traditions?)

Question: raw or regular milk? Cow or goat?

Setup items? Anything special needed?

Any resources to suggest?

Thanks so much for the time!!!!!

Should mention that I have had dairy issues in the past. However, lately I have been trying to work through them, starting with eating some yoghurt with every meal. Seems to be fine right now, but that could change. Am taking some digestive enzymes with the dairy currently & with every meal. Garden of Life RAW enzymes.

Did a dairy elimination for a month after starting primal, then couldn't add back into diet without pain. So I was off dairy for about 12 months, and have recently (with the suggestion of my gi doc) started adding in yoghurt again. Would like to try kefir instead for health.

Comment

Ordered water kefir starter grains. Anyone familiar with these? I have read that some use juice as well as water for flavorful drinks, but I don't have that recipie and dont' want to screw anything up.

Comment

I make kefir with whole cows milk [grassfed nonhomogenized low heat pasteurized]. I make about 12 oz a day. I drink the previous days batch. Very easy and so good.

Comment

Originally posted by PMAC View Post
          I make kefir with whole cows milk [grassfed nonhomogenized low heat pasteurized]. I make about 12 oz a day. I drink the previous days batch. Very easy and so good.
          You left out the part where you explain the process so that the OP can benefit from your comment. Therefore I have to give it a 3 out of 10.
          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I think with my water kefir grains I can't make the dairy kefir, although I could get some dairy kefir.

I decided on water kefir grains as I am still not sure that dairy agrees with my system, or not. I am in a huge allergy attack now that I started eating dairy again, and I am not sure if it is related or not. Am quitting dairy until it resolves, then will try and add back in the dairy and see if it is provoked.

Comment

Kefir is a fermented probiotic beverage native to Central Asia, much like kumiss
              I wrote a book "Super Formulas, Arts & Crafts: How to make more than 360 useful products that contain honey and beeswax" and Kumiss is on page 21 (copyright Elaine C. White)
              --------------------

Kumiss

Kumiss is a refreshing, nutritious dairy drink. Because kumiss is slightly carbonated, it has been called the "Russian champagne of dairy products." This formula produces a rich, creamy drink with bubbly effervescence.

1 gallon skim milk
              2 tablespoons honey
              1/8 teaspoon champagne yeast

Step 1: Heat the milk to 180 degrees F. Add the honey, mix well and cool to 70 degrees F.
              Step 2 Dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup warm water (115 degrees F for 3 minutes) and stir it into the milk.
              Step 3: Cover the mixture with a clean cloth and allow it to stand at room temperature for 24 hours.
              Step 4: Bottle kumiss in sanitized beer, soft drink, or champagne bottles that withstand carbonation pressure. Plastic soda bottles up to the 2-liter size can be reused for kumiss if the caps fit tightly.
              Step 5: Store the bottled kumiss at room temperature for 24 hours, then place it in a refrigerator. Shake the bottles every few days, but not just before opening them.

Kumiss will keep for 6 to 8 weeks and becomes increasingly acid. If the degree of acidity is objectionable, it can be masked by adding honey.
              --------------------
              PS For those who haven't tasted kumiss, it's like carbonated buttermilk. I'm wondering if buttermilk isn't a great substitute.

Also, don't make this with bread yeast as it imparts a bitter, nasty taste. Get champagne yeast from most winemaking suppliers.
              Last edited by Chatty; 04-04-2012, 02:28 PM.

Comment

My kefir grains (dairy) arrived today - I'm excited....and keen to see if someone can post some hints/tips and a recipe or where to find a good one?

Comment

The kefir lady:
                  Real Kefir Grains Quality Probiotic Cultures

Comment

Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                    Thanks very much!

Comment

I started making water kefir a few weeks ago. I got the grains from Cultures for Health. I decided on water kefir because unfortunately I don't like the flavor of any fermented/cultured foods; even yogurt has to have a lot of sweetener added for me to like it. Water kefir is very mildly flavored and has none of the sour tangy flavor of most cultured foods. I drink my water kefir with a splash of unsweetened cranberry or blueberry juice. Yum!
                      My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
                      On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

Please check our website, The Kefir Company.
                        The Kefir Company is a company that specializes in selling Kefir products online, which are for personal use. With our high quality Starter Cultures you can make up to 100 liters of Kefir.

You can use the following coupon code, which gives you a 15% discount on your order.

Coupon code: kefircompany4668

Simply enter the code during the checkout process. This code is valid until the 9th of June 2012.
                        If you have any questions, please contact us at info@buy-kefir.co.uk.
                        The Kefir Company

Comment

Here's a recipe for Kefir Soda Pop that looks good (also has a source for the grains). I haven't tried yet, but plan to next month.

Kefir Soda Pop | CHEESESLAVE

Comment

I have made kefir for years. I prefer to use the unpasteurized and for you I think that would be important. Pasteurized milk even if it is fermented is a different product and if you have dairy sensitivities I would avoid all pasteurized milk. I use the quart size Ball jars or something similar. Depending on whether you are just making for yourself you could do it with a lesser amount of milk. Kefir grains are pretty forgiving though they do need good care. Make sure your jar is spotlessly clean with no soap residues. I use about a tablespoon of culture to a quart of milk. Your grains may take a few days to get going properly. Put them in the bottom of your jar, pour (unheated) milk in slowly, cover with a piece of muslin or paper towel and fasten securely with elastic band or string (gnats LOVE kefir and can squeeze through tiny gaps) Set on a counter in a warm spot (not sunny).

Making kefir is an art and you get to experiment with it to get it to the level of sourness you like. It usually takes about 8 -12 hours to ferment, but can take about 24 hrs depending on the temperature and season. If it is taking a while I will use a plastic spoon and stir it gently to mix the grains in a little as they will settle to the bottom. I just jiggle the jar to see if it is 'gelling' and sniff it to see if it is smelling ready. Alternatively have a little taste every now and again, until it is where you like it. If you leave it too long, no problem, it will separate into curds and whey, but it is still perfectly edible. If you are concerned about the lactose intolerance, or if you want to increase the levels of folic acid, you can strain the grains out when it is ready and then set it on the counter for another 8+ hours. The second fermentation tends to make it a bit more fizzy and more sour - but super good for you. I used to do this when I was pregnant to boost my folic acid in a natural way.

If you ever have any questions you are welcome to message me and I will try to help I LOVE kefir for the benefits. Anytime you or anyone in your family gets an upset tummy try giving them a couple mouthfuls of kefir everytime they have diarrhoea, usually within a couple of hours the kefir has recolonized the gut and the troublesome bacteria etc has been overpowered! Since we have been drinking kefir we have not had a single instance of stomach 'flu' that lasted more than maybe three hours! We swear by the stuff!

Oh, don't use metal spoons or strainers etc with kefir. There is a reaction between the two that is unfriendly to the kefir culture. If you don't have a plastic or enamel coated sieve for straining the grains out you can use cheesecloth to pour the finished kefir through. You can store the extra grains in the refrigerator in a little milk, give them to a friend, feed them to the dog, eat them as a cottage cheese replacement, etc. I treat the chickens and dog with a little kefir if I forget it and it gets too sour for my liking - they ADORE it! And it helps to keep them all healthy too. So much of our immunity is based in our gut and keeping the flora and fauna in there happy keeps your immune system in prime form!
                            Last edited by Coll; 04-30-2012, 08:47 AM.
                            Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                            Primal low: 186 lbs
                            Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                            Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

Originally posted by Coll View Post
                              I have made kefir for years. I prefer to use the unpasteurized and for you I think that would be important. Pasteurized milk even if it is fermented is a different product and if you have dairy sensitivities I would avoid all pasteurized milk. I use the quart size Ball jars or something similar. Depending on whether you are just making for yourself you could do it with a lesser amount of milk. Kefir grains are pretty forgiving though they do need good care. Make sure your jar is spotlessly clean with no soap residues. I use about a tablespoon of culture to a quart of milk. Your grains may take a few days to get going properly. Put them in the bottom of your jar, pour (unheated) milk in slowly, cover with a piece of muslin or paper towel and fasten securely with elastic band or string (gnats LOVE kefir and can squeeze through tiny gaps) Set on a counter in a warm spot (not sunny).

Making kefir is an art and you get to experiment with it to get it to the level of sourness you like. It usually takes about 8 -12 hours to ferment, but can take about 24 hrs depending on the temperature and season. If it is taking a while I will use a plastic spoon and stir it gently to mix the grains in a little as they will settle to the bottom. I just jiggle the jar to see if it is 'gelling' and sniff it to see if it is smelling ready. Alternatively have a little taste every now and again, until it is where you like it. If you leave it too long, no problem, it will separate into curds and whey, but it is still perfectly edible. If you are concerned about the lactose intolerance, or if you want to increase the levels of folic acid, you can strain the grains out when it is ready and then set it on the counter for another 8+ hours. The second fermentation tends to make it a bit more fizzy and more sour - but super good for you. I used to do this when I was pregnant to boost my folic acid in a natural way.

If you ever have any questions you are welcome to message me and I will try to help I LOVE kefir for the benefits. Anytime you or anyone in your family gets an upset tummy try giving them a couple mouthfuls of kefir everytime they have diarrhoea, usually within a couple of hours the kefir has recolonized the gut and the troublesome bacteria etc has been overpowered! Since we have been drinking kefir we have not had a single instance of stomach 'flu' that lasted more than maybe three hours! We swear by the stuff!

Oh, don't use metal spoons or strainers etc with kefir. There is a reaction between the two that is unfriendly to the kefir culture. If you don't have a plastic or enamel coated sieve for straining the grains out you can use cheesecloth to pour the finished kefir through. You can store the extra grains in the refrigerator in a little milk, give them to a friend, feed them to the dog, eat them as a cottage cheese replacement, etc. I treat the chickens and dog with a little kefir if I forget it and it gets too sour for my liking - they ADORE it! And it helps to keep them all healthy too. So much of our immunity is based in our gut and keeping the flora and fauna in there happy keeps your immune system in prime form!
                              I've just started making kefir with grains from Cultures for Health and it is delicious. But I wish I hadn't started just when the warm weather hit. I bought their plastic strainer but within 12 hours it is thick like yogurt and separated and doesn't go through the strainer.

I have been making yogurt with raw milk once a week for my smoothies. It seems like a big commitment to make the kefir a cup or two at a time every day instead of once a week, or is that going to seem simpler once I get used it? If it takes 12 hours rather than 24 hours to culture will it be ok if I make up the jar and put it in the refrigerator for 12 hours then put it at room temperature for 12 hours?

Comment

Working...
                              X