No announcement yet.

Help Me Learn to Like Avocados

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always hated avocado. Then I was forced to eat it in a salad one time. Then eventually I started including chunks of avocado in salad, with chicken or bacon as a topping alongside it... That is when I learned to love it. Now, salad just isn't the same without it!

Tips:

Salty meats (bacon, all-meat sausage, ground meat, or chicken) are excellent compliments to avocado. They go great with burgers.

Chocolate Avocado Pudding is VILE (personal opinion). You can add all the sweetener and cocoa you want to an avocado and it does NOT make it dessert food. Yuck! I am convinced you need a serious sweet tooth and dessert addiction to actually prefer avocado in the form of pudding, rather than as a savory side to meat. Now, I have never been a dessert person, so none of these make-veggies-into-sweets recipes work out well for me. If you are a dessert person, you may be among the many people who like avocado "pudding".
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Comment

Wait for it to ripen, slice open, salt, and eat with spoon.

Comment

Chocolate Avocado Pudding is VILE (personal opinion). You can add all the sweetener and cocoa you want to an avocado and it does NOT make it dessert food. Yuck!
        +1

I remember I made a chocolate avocado mousse once, and I will be very wary of the combination of avocado and chocolate. I have a recipe for chocolate-avocado cookies in the latest Fluke's book. I copied it out of interest, since she says you don't taste avocado. I need to bake it one of these days to see what lab rats... erm... co-workers would think.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I love avocado on its own.

Try it in a smoothie. Add water, a few spoonfuls of avocado and some fruit. You will NOT taste it. For starters, try water with a bunch of frozen blueberries with a little avocado. I guarantee you will taste nothing but blueberries but the smoothie will be extra creamy because of avocado.

Avocado is, by far, the world's greatest smoothie ingredient.
          Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

I learned to like avocado in sushi. I used to hate it, but something about the divine combination of raw salmon and avocado converted me, and now I can eat it straight with a spoon. I keep meaning to go out and get a slab of sushi-grade salmon and an avocado and just eat them together for dinner.

Comment

i really enjoy avocado in chicken tortilla soup. if its been floating in it for awhile, it just melts in your mouth and blends with the flavors really nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by yelena View Post
                I learned to like avocado in sushi. I used to hate it, but something about the divine combination of raw salmon and avocado converted me, and now I can eat it straight with a spoon. I keep meaning to go out and get a slab of sushi-grade salmon and an avocado and just eat them together for dinner.
                Oh yeah, this too! My old sushi place in Vancouver had what they called a "Caterpillar Role" which included thinly sliced avocado laid over a roll... It looked like, well, a caterpillar. Yummy!
                5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Comment

Originally posted by GrokON View Post
                  Oh yeah, this too! My old sushi place in Vancouver had what they called a "Caterpillar Role" which included thinly sliced avocado laid over a roll... It looked like, well, a caterpillar. Yummy!
                  caterpillar rolls are da bomb! they look super cute too

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Toad View Post
                    I love avocado on its own.

Try it in a smoothie. Add water, a few spoonfuls of avocado and some fruit. You will NOT taste it. For starters, try water with a bunch of frozen blueberries with a little avocado. I guarantee you will taste nothing but blueberries but the smoothie will be extra creamy because of avocado.

Avocado is, by far, the world's greatest smoothie ingredient.
                    Wow. Sounds like a viable substitute for banana . . .

Comment

I have got one word for you....avocado chocolate pudding. Ok that is three words but it is deee-licious. Here is a recipie

avocado-chocolate pudding | forgiving martha

Hers calls for agave, I use stevia typically and then you have a sugar free treat that will rock your world!
                      *I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.*
                      Marilyn Monroe

Comment

I love avocado. I usually make a shake out of it adding with sugar and milk. I also love avocado ice cream.

Comment

Wow. Sounds like a viable substitute for banana . . .
                          No, unfortunately avocado will not thicken a green smoothie the way the banana or berries would. But it makes for a nice addition to a gazpacho.
                          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

love them plain, better with salt however

Comment

I hate eggs, can't stand them. BUT then I discovered that I can actually hate eating them but not throw up if I cover them in a sauce and make them with meat in them.

So maybe it will work if you try avocados more ways than one, but don't count on it. At least you have this going for you: they are expensive, so don't feel bad about it :0) Try pudding (and expect to hate it), try mashed into something like a salad dressing vinagrette (my fave way to eat them) and glopped onto a salad. Thats all I got

Comment

Working...
                              X