Couple of questions about mayonnaise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of questions about mayonnaise?

Can I make mayonnaise using coconut oil and without any other oil? What would be the recipe for this?
    Can I make mayonnaise with whole eggs instead of just the yolks? What would be the difference?
    Do I need vinegar for mayonnaise? Is it just for the taste or also for the texture?

Coconut Mayonnaise

I've never made it, so I can't vouch for the results.

Comment

You need an acid for the emulsification. You can use vinegar or lemon juice (I use a combination of both).

I have better luck with thickening with just yolks than with whole eggs.
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
        You need an acid for the emulsification. You can use vinegar or lemon juice (I use a combination of both).

I have better luck with thickening with just yolks than with whole eggs.
        I find yolks alone better too.

Comment

I've tried making mayo with only coconut oil; the result was thick and amazing. But once I put it in the fridge, it completely solidified (due to the fact that it was mostly saturated fat); it was unusable, and I had to throw it out . I think doing half coconut oil and half olive oil would ensure that it will not solidify once refrigerated.
          "Over-thinking, over-analyzing separates the body from the mind."

Comment

Working...
          X