beet greens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beet greens

Speak to me of these please. I have some loverly beets roasting. It seems a shame to let the pretty greens go to waste. I have heard they are edible.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

They are delicious. You can prepare them in the same way as other leafy greens such as spinach. I like to cook them in my cast iron pan with some garlic and bacon fat. I always look for beets with the greens still on them because it's like having two yummy vegetables in one.
    If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive. --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
      They are delicious. You can prepare them in the same way as other leafy greens such as spinach. I like to cook them in my cast iron pan with some garlic and bacon fat. I always look for beets with the greens still on them because it's like having two yummy vegetables in one.
      Fabulous!! I will do this. Lovely organic beets with the greens!!!"
      Karin

Comment

Wilt in butter, lass ... job done.
        Paul
        http://www.pjgh.co.uk
        http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

I steam them, then toss them with gobs of butter and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Love them. They've been my favourite vegetable since I was a little kid.

Comment

beat greans & collards - i chop 'em up together, steam for a bit (i've blanched too, either works), and then sautee in animal fat. i really do think that lard or tallow or any rendered fat tastes better than butter or coconut oil when it comes to greens. embrace your southerner.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas I will be trying them all. Today I fried some bacon ends until crispy,added garlic then. Greens.. I have another bunch in the fridge for tomorrow..will use buttah!
              Karin

Comment

Working...
              X